iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do you see sawmills being towed on the road?

Started by thecfarm, January 24, 2013, 10:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodweasel

I sometimes pull mine to the feed store/ bank when I go to town if I'm needing a little spending cash. Never fails to generate a conversation, which sometimes results in a job :D :D

OlJarhead

Quote from: woodweasel on February 19, 2017, 08:21:43 AM
  I sometimes pull mine to the feed store/ bank when I go to town if I'm needing a little spending cash. Never fails to generate a conversation, which sometimes results in a job :D :D

Homedepot is a great place to do this at ;) LOL
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

thecfarm

I saw a red one,Hudson,on the road. At the bottom of Jay Hill,route 2 and 4.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bob_T

Here in the high desert I've  never seen a mill on the road.  In fact, in the past 30 years I've only seen two other mills period, on the road or not.
1959 FWD Model 286 Dump Truck
1955 Allis Chalmers HD-6G Crawler Loader
1941 GMC CCKW 6X6
Wood-Mizer LT30 G18

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: OlJarhead on March 22, 2017, 10:32:35 PM
Quote from: woodweasel on February 19, 2017, 08:21:43 AM

Homedepot is a great place to do this at ;) LOL
I like this idea. I think at a minimum the next time I am out on a mobile job I will at least stop by Lowes or our local grocery/department store parking lot and hang out a while.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

JV

Our house is close to the county road with a fair amount of traffic.  I had my mill parked on front of the garage to do some maintenance.  I have had 4 people stop to inquire about doing some milling.  I will be doing one this weekend or next week.  Looked at the site last evening, a little tight but doable.  Some nice oak, sugar maple, cherry, and walnut.  I need to build a mill shed in the front yard but I don't think that would go over very well with the boss.  When I saw for one urban customer it draws a lot of attention.  I guess when things are slow I need to hook onto the mill and drive around.   :D
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Revival Sawmill

Not really portable, but I towed this one from Washington DC to the mountains of NC - you wouldn't believe the number of people who almost ran off the road rubber-necking/trying to take pictures/video of it!!

Florida boy

Haven't seen any on the road but within a month of buying mine used I seen  one not 5 miles from where I live under a shed. Looks like lt35, then on my way to pick up my blades 2 weeks ago I saw one 15 miles from the house. I guess it's like a car buy one then you see them every where. Oh and when I first saw the mill I eventually bought I was there to pick up some lumber from a guy I found on Craigslist. Talked to him about the mill and said tgat I would like to find one for sale, he said he might be looking to sell that one soon. Went back a few months later he said hed been trying to find my number for a month.

JRWoodchuck

Funny this thread came up. Never seen another sawmill on the road other than mine until a week or so ago. A guy had an older Norwood all folded up in the bed of his pick up then the next day saw a LT15 cruising down the road....
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

landscraper

Saw an Enercraft Silva Saw on the road today, never seen one of those before, had to come home and Google it.
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

campwags

When I brought my TimberKing home from New York, I took the ferry across Lake Champlain.  I had everyone out walking around it and asking all kinds of questions. 
I see lots of log trucks every time I leave the house around here.  Not any portable mills on the road, mostly see them on Craig's list.  :D
Life is for Living, Loving and Laughing; Not Crying and Complaining!

TK 2000, Woodmaster 718, Kioti DK65s w/Farmi JL501, Kioti NX4510 and a Kubota KX 41-3 excavator, Japa firewood processor and an assortment of trailers, solar kiln and out buildings.

DPatton

Today on my way home from work I spotted a TimberKing 1600 being towed behind a Chevy west bound on highway 2 about 1 1/2 miles west of Palmyra Ne. I was headed east bound when I met it and had to hightail it home in a big hurry to make sure somebody hadn't stolen mine! Thank goodness it was still there right where I left it.

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

TKehl

I saw what I think was a circle mill setup on a trailer a few weeks ago.  Disassembled.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

thecfarm

We went for a ride and saw a sawmill being towed! No name on the truck.We was in the Skowhegan-Newport area.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dgdrls

Saw another shiny new WM rolling outside Hannibal NY, Imagine that ;)  

D

thecfarm

I think it was a WM. Saw orange,I have no idea the kind. I had to keep moving,too much traffic. It was coming off a side road.

Southside

Spotted this rig in the area a couple of times this weekend.

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

landscraper

Saw an LT35HD today on the way through Charlottesville, Va. headed west, looked like he'd just finished up some red cedar.  Had his chase truck hauling support equipment, an ASV skid steer I think.  That makes 3 mills so far not counting the LT40 I occasionally see in the rear view.
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

Chuck White

My LT40 was on the road today!

Got a sawjob 45 miles away (further than I like to go)!

Sawed a bunch of Red Oak and Black Cherry logs, all 4/4 x 6, 8, and a few 10 inch widths, tallied up just under 1,000 bf!

I'll go back tomorrow and finish up!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Hackermatack

I tow mine often. It has no lights, registration, or inspection so I tow it when no one will see me :)
Jonsered 2230, 590, 70E. Kioti DK 35 /w fransguard winch. Hudson Oscar 236

trapper

Not quite on road but on my way to woodmizer open house in wisconsin I stopped at a gas station and a lt40 manual was parked close to me when I came out.  The owner was on his way to a sawing job
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Darrel

I saw a toad under my sawmill in the damp sawdust. Does that count? :D  Seriously, I'll be finishing up a job tomorrow and will be towing my mill home. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

dirtymartini

I can't believe I wasn't spotted towing my new mill home...From Va to PA...VA 671 to US 340  to US 15 to I-83 and I-81 Everyone must have been busy sawing!

Ljohnsaw

I saw a WM being towed south on I-80 at Clipper Gap around 8 am on Saturday the 9th.  Anyone from the FF?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

porcupine

Spotted this early Woodmizer LT30 northbound on I75 near Wolverine Michigan today.
Don't see many on the roads up here.

Kubota M5040  2007
Kubota U35 Mini-Ex  2016
Brute Force 18-24 Firewood Processor 2022
Brute Force Grapple
Super Split HD
Logrite Cant Hook, Pickaroon
Stihl MS250, MS461, MSE 220
Lamar 16' Dump Trailer
Load Trail 20' Tilt Trailer

Thank You Sponsors!