iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying Walnut Tree's

Started by demodude42, February 27, 2012, 09:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

demodude42

Hello,
I am new to the forum. I recently purchased 5 Walnut tree's for $400. The average diameter on them is 18-19 inches. Figuring there is around 1000 bf there. Is this a good price for the trees? Buying wise I mean.

beenthere

Welcome to the forum.

I'd say, if you are happy, then it is a good price.

What are the plans for the walnut?

Have your own sawmill?  Having the logs sawn?

We like pics  :) :)

And pull up a stump, and sit awhile.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

For good trees that size with that volume, I would be happy with it.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

You probably did quite well unless you live around here, in which case you paid going price for logs. Now, if you have to actually cut the trees down yourself, and clean up the mess, then you probably paid too much.

But don't be too upset. It's called Walnut Fever, and many of us get it from time to time!  :D :D :D

Welcome to the forum. Where do you live?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

demodude42

My grandfather was a logger for 50 years until he passed away in the timber. So I am trying to keep the business going. I have located 3 smaller jobs around the area I live in. About 6-10 trees. I am currently looking at two different jobs in the homer nebraska area that are 50-80 walnut trees each. I am from Laurel, NE. I am just buying the logs to sell to the log buyer. Unless I get an interesting tree that might have some neat grain patterns then I will get it sawed up.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, demodude42.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!