iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Who sells a one-handed, small log / firewood grapple? Tongs with a grapple

Started by Jasperfield, August 18, 2008, 10:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasperfield

I can't find the post I read some time back about a one-handed, tong-like grapple or carrier for small dia' logs and or firewood. There was a photo posted in said post and a source for a supplier.

beenthere

I think I know what you mean, and have a set for handling small diam. logs.

Trying to locate on Google, as I didn't find them at Bailey's.

Will keep looking.

Found a picture...does it look like this?

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rebocardo

Baileys sells them,

A timber carrier (two man) 12.2 pounds #15815 $99.95 pg 61 of their 2008 catalog

A pulp hook (one man) 1.2 pounds #15840 $5.95

timberfaller390

Sandvic manufactures what you want, they are actual tongs not pulp hooks. Ben Meadows has them item #180039 8 in. jaw spread $26.70 #180040 11 in. jaw spread $45.70
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Ed

Check your Husky dealer. They did have 2 different sizes available.

Ed

John Mc

Husqvarna sells two sizes: one with a 7 or 8" opening which is great to hang on your belt when working on the woods. The other has an 11" or 12" opening, which I use quite a bit when splitting firewood... it saves a LOT of bending and allows better body mechanics when picking up round wood. It's been a real back saver for me.

Any Husky dealer should be able to order you one, if they don't have any in stock.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

nas

Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Jasperfield

beenthere

sawmill
Welcome to the forum.

I looked at the northerntool site, and didn't see what I thought Jasperfield was looking for..

but I'll have to leave that up to Jasperfield to confirm.

Jasperfield:
Which of the several responses matched what you were originally looking for??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Mc

My local Husky dealer sold me the Husqvarna tongs for the same price that northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company advertises theirs (bought about a year ago). I'd much rather support the local guy, so I bought from him. Another consideration was that I couldn't actually see and hold the NT offering before ordering. Given the significant difference between the quality of some of the other tools they offer as compared to more "known" manufacturers (see the LogRite vs NT Hookaroon thread), that was a concern for me.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

brucehuggins

I get mine from  http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/

I have three. they work great.  I dont have to go all the way to the ground after a block of wood.  they call them pulpwood tongs in the catalog.
Oldsawmillguy

Dave Shepard

I've got a pair from Husky, must have bought them about ten years ago. Haven't used them in about four, but made a special trip home for them today. I'm sawing locust fenceposts from small logs, and handling rounds is hard on the wrists. With the tongs you just grab and drag. 8) They'll be staying in the truck now. Also good for handling chunks. I've taken more than one tree out of a backyard one piece at a time with them. On one job, they got nicknamed Chunk Buddies by one happy user. ;D

Mine are marked "EM" "Sweden"

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Treker23

Re, Recently bought an Oregon, and love it! One of best tools I have, is stamped Mfg. Austria opens about 9”. Should be available lots of places. I will buy a larger one soon. Happy 2024

PoginyHill

I have a Fiskars set and it works well for me. They call them log tongs. Amazon carries them.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

PoginyHill,
I looked at the Fiskers on Amazon. They are 12" but the picture show 9" wide open point-to-point. You found that adequate or are you wanting something bigger?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John Mc

My Husqvarna tongs open about 8" or so. I regularly pick up rounds that are up to about 12" diameter with them. A real back saver. Since I'm not really interested in carrying around hardwood logs larger than about 12" diameter with just one hand, these tongs are a perfect size for me. I carry them on my belt in a holster which Husqvarna also sells which fits them perfectly. You can find them on Amazon: search "Husqvarna Tongs". Make sure you get the size you want.

Holster:

They make larger tongs (12" opening), which I tried for a while. They could pick up to somewhere around a 18" diameter logs. I no longer use these - gave them away. After a few trips to the chiropractor, I was finally convinced that one-handing 18" logs was not a great idea for me.

beenthere

I too have the Husqvarna tongs and sheath/scabbard bolted to my tractor chainsaw scabbard for quick access.

Plus a firewood gripper with hooks connected by a rubber hose. Relieves stooping to the ground to pick up blocked firewood for splitting. Easy on the back and the knees.
https://www.amazon.com/Lockharts-Firewood-Gripper-18-Logs/dp/B005FQ0XX8
south central Wisconsin

gaspasser

I like a hookaroon for this purpose. I have the husqvarna brand. Saves my back from too much bending.

rusticretreater

Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

PoginyHill

Quote from: ljohnsaw on January 01, 2024, 08:23:32 PM
PoginyHill,
I looked at the Fiskers on Amazon. They are 12" but the picture show 9" wide open point-to-point. You found that adequate or are you wanting something bigger?
There are a few occasions where it'd be nice to have a slightly larger opening. But since most of what I move around is 16ft in length, for most of what I move the size is fine. Couldn't drag much bigger anyhow.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

John Mc

Quote from: rusticretreater on January 02, 2024, 12:58:11 AM
Tractor Supply sells Timber Tuff brand for under $45.  16"

I tried out a friend's pair of Timber Tuff tongs (in their smaller size) when helping him clean up some storm damage a few years ago. The handle kept slipping off the tool (which was not a lot of fun when carrying a heavy log or trying to load the wood splitter), and the teeth just would not seem to grab the logs very well. They cost a bit more, but the tongs sold by Husqvarna, Oregon, and Fiskars do not seem to have these problems. They all work reliably... you just might have to touch up the tips every few years to sharpen them (especially of you are handling a log of hard smooth-barked species like Beech or Birch).

I've not been impressed with the Timber Tough brand. Their pulp hooks don't stick in the wood, neither do their stump vises (which also suffer from a sloppy clamp screw which loosens up in use). The price is usually low enough to attract interest, but after using some of their tools purchased by friends, I've pretty much given up on them as a brand.

teakwood

I have 2 Husky 12" and one 8", the small one we never use. too small. the big ones are designed alot better too. We use them alot since 15 years and they are still in perfect working condition. buy the quality ones
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Thank You Sponsors!