iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log arch winch question

Started by osage outlaw, February 12, 2018, 10:59:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

osage outlaw

I have recently built a log arch on the back of a trailer.  I tried using a 2000 lb atv winch that someone gave me.  It was not strong enough to lift the first test log.  I think there might have been something wrong with the winch.  I will be loading osage logs that at the very most might way 1200 lbs.  I have ordered a 4000 lb super winch and a snatch block.  Do you think that would be strong enough to do what I am wanting?  Once I get this thing working I'll post some pictures and a video. 

firefighter ontheside

The lower the arch is, the harder the winch has to work to lift the log.  What was the angle of the arch compar3d to the cable.?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

osage outlaw

The arch is about 6' high off of the trailer.  It wasn't at a very steep angle when I tried it with the 2000 lb winch. 

Kbeitz

Not all 2000 lb winches are created equal....
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crusarius

you can get a 12k winch from harbor freight for pretty cheap. I would upgrade. The cheezy cable on the ATV winches is not up to that task anyhow.

Please be careful. That cable will snap and it can cause a lot of damage. And the log will fall and do the same.

osage outlaw

It was a badlands 2000 lb winch.  The new one should be delivered Wednesday.  I'll test it out and see how it does.

Kbeitz

Quote from: osage outlaw on February 12, 2018, 04:39:51 PM
It was a badlands 2000 lb winch.  The new one should be delivered Wednesday.  I'll test it out and see how it does.

badlands only have a
5% duty cycle. 45 seconds on 15 min off at full load.
Other than that people seem to like them...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

bags

Might be the winch has a problem. I load 7-800lbs logs on my small trailer using a BL 2500lb winch and a beat up wooden arch lay'in almost flat out. I'd post a picture, but me get'in one on usually takes me a bit of time. You shouldn't have a problem with a new 4000lb winch pull'in up 1200lb logs.

osage outlaw

That's good to hear.  Thanks.   I guess I shouldn't have expected much from a free winch.  I hope the new one gets delivered before the rain gets here.  I'm ready to see that arch in action. 

Kbeitz

Check to see if one of your magnets came unglued.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

trapper

For just a little more $ the harbor freight 3500 winch has almost twice the  feet per min as the 2000.  I am going to get my welder neighbor to make a bracket to put one on my lt30 manual mill.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

losttheplot

The maximum pulling power of the winch is only on the first wrap of the drum.
As more cable gets wrapped around the drum it makes it increasingly harder for the winch to pull the load. This reduces the effective pulling power of the winch.

I dont know if there is a governing body of winch ratings ;-)
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

jwh f-100

If you loop the cable with a snatch block it will help..   
Why buy it when you can build it.

Kwill

My 2500 harbor freight winch works great on my log arch I have it ran through a snatchblock pulley. Picked up some pretty good sixed logs with it 

Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

osage outlaw

Thanks for the help guys.  I'm guessing something was wrong with that winch.  I ordered a snatch block to go with the new winch. 

Thank You Sponsors!