iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw kills as throttle is applied

Started by sonnyboy53, August 09, 2016, 04:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonnyboy53

I am out of ideas and need some help.  Poulan 4218AVX starts & idles fine but as the throttle is applied and before it revs enough to engage the clutch, it kills with a little pop back through the carb.  I have tried the following:  new fuel lines & filter, carb kit installed & double checked, compression at 130psi, vacuum & pressure tested the crankcase-no leaks, piston & cylinder smooth, muffler & spark screen clear, flywheel removed to make sure the key is intact-no change when flywheel reinstalled.  Any suggestions or thoughts about what I should try next would be appreciated.

dougand3

Looks like you covered all the bases. I'd try another carb. New AM ones are ~$18. Or try a diagnostic carb that you may have handy. Forget the strato part - any 50cc or smaller carb would work if impulse hole is in center. If diagnostic carb throttles up fine, you can buy a strato carb.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

Bill Saf

Did you check and see if the garb tube is good at the mount and did you take the mount off and look a the o-ring or gasket? Primer bulb?

DelawhereJoe

Did you check to see if the choke is completely connected, the old wild thing I was given has a problem keeping the choke hooked up, it likes to pop out of its catch. Sometimes you hit the throttle and it sucks the choke closed and kills it.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

joe_indi

This could happen if there is some fault in the ignition module (coil). A bad circuit like a faulty speed limiter circuit.
If you could lay your hands on another coil for a test, you could verify this possibility.
Joe

ZeroJunk

I'm not familiar with that saw, but some of these newer carbs with no needle adjustment on the high speed side are hard to get clean if you get a bugger in the circuit somewhere. Or, at least I haven't been able to do it on a few.

sonnyboy53

Thanks for your ideas everyone.  However I've tried most of them already.  I neglected to add that I've tried a different ignition module and a 2nd carb (also cleaned & swapped out the new pump & reed diaphrams from the 1st carb).  This Zama carb has removable screws for both L & H jets.  So keep the ideas coming. 
I'm glad this is a backup for my backup saw but at this point, it's more of a challenge to find out what the heck the solution is rather than something I really need to use.

dougand3

Bill alluded to this: Are you sure the impulse tube through the big black strato intake is clear? You should be able to run a phone wire all the way thru intake and cyl base to the con rod. If no good pulse gets to the fuel pump diaphragm, it won't supply fuel.
I have a PP4218AVX in a box of parts. Here are pics of impulse with a green wire thru it.

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/36829/IMG_20160810_174212.jpg

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/36829/IMG_20160810_174128.jpg
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

John Mc

Have you played much with the low-speed mixture setting? I haven't heard one "pop" as you describe, but being too lean on the low speed mixture can cause it to die when you try to accelerate. It's a quick and cheap thing to try, anyway.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!