iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lightered pine used as footers NEW

Started by SandyR, November 01, 2005, 04:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furby

DonE911

I did have an issue with an insurance company due to the all fat pine construction.   They admitted that the fat pine was the problem due to the how easily it burns.  They also admitted that claims are easy because there is now saving the house when the fire starts.....  still wouldn't insure me becuase it was in FL. If it was in KY or something I probably would not have had a problem.

How did I find insurance?   The next company asked if the house was wood frame or concrete.... I answered truthfully and said "its wood frame" ;D

Fla._Deadheader

I wood think that by the time the faar  got to them footers, there woodn't be much left to save, no ways.  ??? ??? :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Rockn H

Are the rest of the footers concrete?  If it is really killing the deal the only thing to do is jack up the floor joist next to each footing to be removed.  Do this one at a time using a bottle jack, a 12 ton should do.  Replace the footing with what ever is recommended for the sale.  Use hardwood blocks for shims.  Normally the new footers are going to need to be releveled in a year or so, but that will be for the new owner.  Personally if the house is level and the footings are sound I wouldn't fix what ain't broke.  If it helps while you are changing them out, just think about the buyer having to do it all over again when the new footers settle or live with an unlevel floor.

I thought I should add that I would only go to the trouble of changing out the footers after I had a letter of intent for the sale. ;)

pigman

Quote from: DonE911 on November 03, 2005, 12:40:40 PM
If it was in KY or something I probably would not have had a problem.

We have codes on our dirt floor shacks here too. They are more strick than most other states. :P ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Rockn H

Pigman, when I read that all I could think was all right he didn't say Arkansas.  Actually he should have.  8) Here in the rural areas we don't have much in the way of inspectors.  Of course if your going through Farmer's Home Administration or something similar, they have their on guidelines that the house must meet.

pigman

Actually we have strick codes but very few in the rural ares go to the trouble to tell the inspectors that they are building. Unless, like Rockn H said, FHA or others similar are involved.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Thank You Sponsors!