iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red hydraulic fluid

Started by Jasperfield, September 04, 2008, 09:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasperfield

What is the red fluid used in hydraulic systems common to forestry & ag equipment? I'm not talking about a brake system.

Is it bulk transmission fluid or is it a specific fluid? I've got a portable hydraulic power unit and its fluid is red.

I haven't mixed any clear hydraulic fluid into the red fluid system...yet. I'm thinking that's not the thing to do.

Where can I get the red fluid?

Thank you

Papa1stuff

1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

scsmith42

Jasperfield, there is a brand of lubricants called "Lubrication Engineers" (LE), that sell a premium grade of oil, hydraulic fluid, grease, etc. 

There products contain additives called "Almasol" and "Monolec", and they are red in color - similar to Dexron II.  Engine oil, hydraulic fluid, grease, gear lube - you name it - LE's products are red.

They are considered to be amongst the very best lubricants available, at any price.  If your fluid is not Dexron, it is possibly LE.

FYI I tpically see a 50 degree temperature reduction in my hydraulic systems (and transmission on my F450) when I drain the factory fluid and replaced it with the LE equivalent)
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Jasperfield

Thank y'all for replying;

After Papa1stuff's reply I figured it's probably Dextron. And after SC's reply I'm not real sure. It's the same fluid that's in my Blockbuster firewood processor.

I've never heard of the LE products but I'm going to find out more about them. I, too, have a F-450 and I'm trying to get it to last as long as possible.

Even before recently losing equipment & tools to theft I've been looking at optimizing what I  have. For several months I've been trying to reduce the number of engines and/or combine engined equipment to multiple use.

However, I'm going to have to replace some stolen saws, a generator, and hand tools. And as I do so, I'm trying to get (as much as is reasonable) rid of different fluids, greases, etc. and try to simplify things.

Jasperfield

Corley5

My Blockbuster came from the factory with Dexron for hydraulic fluid.  Their reason for using it is that it's tackier and lubricates the bar and chain better than simple hydraulic fluid.  Leaks in snow show up better too  ;) ;D  County snow removal equipment up here has blue dye added to hydraulic fluids for just that reason  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jasperfield

Y'all are right. It is Dextron. Thanks a lot for the help. I was able to find a bulk supplier within 35 miles this evenin'; And I'll be up and runnin' tomorrow.

Jasperfiels

jokers

Quote from: scsmith42 on September 04, 2008, 10:25:22 PM
Jasperfield, there is a brand of lubricants called "Lubrication Engineers" (LE), that sell a premium grade of oil, hydraulic fluid, grease, etc. 

There products contain additives called "Almasol" and "Monolec", and they are red in color - similar to Dexron II.  Engine oil, hydraulic fluid, grease, gear lube - you name it - LE's products are red.

They are considered to be amongst the very best lubricants available, at any price.  If your fluid is not Dexron, it is possibly LE.

FYI I tpically see a 50 degree temperature reduction in my hydraulic systems (and transmission on my F450) when I drain the factory fluid and replaced it with the LE equivalent)
If you recommend them I`m looking in to them Scott. Thanks for the tip!

Gary_C

The basic feedstocks used to blend oils are normally clear. The red color is a dye that can be added to any blend wether it be hydraulic oils, engine oils, turbine oils or transmission oils.

So there is no standard for color in oils, a purchaser of an oil from a blending plant can specify whatever color they want the oil to be. So while a red oil may very well be some type of dexron, it is not necessarily true.

It is always best to consult the operators manual for the correct type of oil for any machine, forestry or not. The manufacturer may call for a certain type in winter vs. summer operation. I know that it is frustrating to have to stock many different types of oils, but there are usually good reasons to follow the manufacters recommendations.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

pineywoods

Be careful here.  Aircraft hydraulic oil is red and it IS different. The seals it requires are different. Petroleum based oil will turn the seals to mush. I doubt that yours is aircraft type, but if it is you could spend a bunch of $$$$ real quick...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

MaddiesDad

ATF is quite common in hydraulic pumps.  A lot of companies are using it in thier pumping units, etc due to the the fact that its much easier to spot leaks and there's some school of thoughts that it's a better oil.  This point could be debated to death thou.  It seems like ATF runs better in winter, due to it's thinner, etc.  But that could be debated.
I'd suggest contacting the OEM Manufacturer

Thank You Sponsors!