iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this walnut worth fetchin'?

Started by Amelia Farms, July 15, 2013, 07:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amelia Farms

Neighbor has a black walnut down in her pasture. She says come get it if you want it. It doesn't look like much of a tree. It splits into 2 trunks just above ground. This one on the ground is about 20" dia at the base, not very straight at all. More like an overgrown limb. I could just go wack off about the bottom 10 feet and leave the rest, but she is a good neighbor and I would feel obligated to help her clean up the rest if I took any of it. So I would have a good half day in getting it and helping her clean the rest up.

I don't have any particular use right now for the wood, but if it would make some lumber i am sure I could find something to do with it.

Any thoughts?

Woodmizer LT40, wish it was hydraulic.

Ianab

I'd mess with it.

Walnut is forgiving to dry and so you can get useful wood from some pretty twisted up logs. You might get lucky and find some figured wood in there if the tree has been growing under stress etc. Never know until you saw it.

Don't think nice clear straight boards. Think shorter interesting boards. Make small table tops, door panels, etc, So you only need pieces the are a few feet long.

Worst case is you have helped out your neighbor, and that's worth something right there.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

There may be a gunstock in the crotch.  If not, there will at least be some nice flame grain. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

Yep, do it, and learn, no harm no foul, leave a little wane and trim after dried.  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

Looks a bit like ash.  Are you sure that it is walnut?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mdennisusa1

You could always cut some blocks for wood turners too if you know any. 
Woodmizer LT15  Kubota L3200.  Woodworker

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Not just Walnut but any tree I see like this on the farm is screaming save me.

If nothing else you could get some very nice bench slabs out of this tree. Saw it now, put it up and let it dry.
You'll be glad you did.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

A quick way to tell.....if it is walnut, the leaves will be arranged in an alternating pattern on the twig.  If ash, the leaves will be paired opposite each other. 

Amelia Farms

If it is ash, my neighbor may be craftier than I thought. She must have gone out and sprinkled walnuts under it hoping some sucker (me) would come clean it up for her. :D

WDH

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'm gonna bring a WHOLE SACK of Pecans to Georgia and start a riot!  :D :D :D :D :D

drobertson

You might as well go to Florida and calm a riot,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: drobertson on July 15, 2013, 10:09:02 PM
You might as well go to Florida and calm a riot,  david

There are several species of nuts down there!  :D

5quarter

The one standing could be ash; the downed one could be walnut. I have what looks like a large tree that split into two trunks a foot or two off the ground. the odd thing is that one is a red maple and the other is a red mulberry. they have grown so tightly together that you cannot tell they are separate trees. I'm just sayin...
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Jemclimber

If you find it's walnut it's definitely worth messing with.  Crotches make great turning blanks, and like Ian said it's very forgiving to dry the boards. If it's ash, it burns very nice, even the crotches. :D   If you are unsure about the id, show us a close up of the leaves. 
lt15

sealark37

Speaking of your neighbor, you should be extra careful if she shows up with lunch and a bottle of wine while you are fetching the logs.  Regards, Clark

Amelia Farms

If she shows up with lunch and a bottle of wine for this tree, I might have her place clear cut by fall!

Solomon

Help your nieghbor, and build her a hope chest out of her walnut.
You'll be glad you did!
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

MSSawmill

Get the logs and e-mail them to me! I'll be glad to mill it if you aren't! I'll even be glad to help you with cleaning up the tops... albeit from a few hundred miles away.  ;D :D
Home-built bandsaw mill
2004 Kubota M110 with LA1301 loader

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: 5quarter on July 15, 2013, 10:30:10 PM
The one standing could be ash; the downed one could be walnut. I have what looks like a large tree that split into two trunks a foot or two off the ground. the odd thing is that one is a red maple and the other is a red mulberry. they have grown so tightly together that you cannot tell they are separate trees. I'm just sayin...

My aunt has something like that along her driveway, a walnut and a cherry that grew up together. The roots have even grown over each other. Pretty cool sight when you first reallize they're actually two separate trees.

pineywoods

That looks better than most of the walnut I have sawn. Well worth sawing into short boards. Most walnut lumber gets cut into pieces less than 3 ft long anyway.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

mesquite buckeye

The up one looks like ash to me too. The down one looks butt rotted.

This looks like the good neighbor job. ;D

Send out good thoughts and deeds. Maybe one will come home. :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!