iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

airplane nuts

Started by pineywoods, July 08, 2007, 11:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

OK all you airplane nuts, it's that time of the year again. The world's largest aviation event  the annual EAA convention starts about 10 days from now up in oshkosh wisconsin. Who all's going? I'm leaving tuesday, going early to work helping get things ready. Staying in a motor home in the volunteer campground, I think spot number 8. Look me up. I work in the maintenance shop behind the big red barn in the campground. Stick your head in and holler for wayne. Anybody who volunteers to work gets free meals in the volunteer kitchen. the lady who checks the tickets at the door is my spouse.
FWIW there is a piggy roast every year in the campground, put on by who else?? a bunch of guys from michigan. Been happening for nearly 30 years.

Y'all come.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

sawguy21

I wish I could show up. It sounds like a great time. I got hooked on flying while in the helicopter industry but don't have the time (or money) now.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

woodbowl

Can't go pineywoods .... again  :-\  I used to go every year but life and bills got ahead of me. We probably know a lot of the same folks. I volunteered some myself in 79 and 80. We stayed in the campground in the woods and picked bluegrass music every night as late as we could, untill someone complained that they couldn't sleep.  ::)  I was the banjo picker. Do you remember that? Wow, that was 28 years ago ... seems like it was just the other day.  8)
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

thecfarm

We have a fly-in up my way.Nothing like what you are going to.This is a small airstrip,but boy is it busy on that weekend.Every 2 seater comes for miles.I guess that is what you call them small planes.See all sorts of differant planes go by and there are alot of them,just about steady.I never been,but I should,just to see how they get them all there onto the field.Must be wing to wing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Norm

You lucky dog Piney. Sounds like a great time, be sure to get some pictures for us poor work bound souls.

scsmith42

Piney - Oshkosh is a fantastic event.  I was there two years ago, and have been to Sun 'n fun twice.

This year my focus is on completing my "unfinished project" list, so I am cutting down on the events (save for Sawlex and Daytona Bike Week).  Next year I plan to make Oshkosh though, so maybe we can hook up then.

Enjoy!

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Slabs

Thanks for the invite piney.  I been wantin to see that event for some 40 years.

Maybe next year when I realize that I'm really retired.

Can't even remember when I started flying, or quit either.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

scsmith42

Oh boy....

My head is spinning right now...

I just received this e-mail from a friend of mine:

Hello Scott!

Ok-OK I couldn't tolerate not having a P51 to fly... so I bought my TF dual control
Mustang back from the man who purchased it last summer...

I sold it in primer / sealer. 

I hate the paint scheme which he selected, but it can be changed.

I flew it from AZ to IL last week, where it is getting an Annual Inspection. 

Attached is the check list and pictures of  both cockpits for your study.

You seem to be a fellow in need of some quality P51 stick time!  Got gas money??

Here's a photo of Dan's mustang.  After reading his closing question, I just want to jump up and down and shout!   8)   8)   8)

Scott

Don K

I've always wanted to fly in one of those. They have the best sounding engines in the world.
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Slabs

sc

That pic's got me slobberin like a blind dawg in a meat house.  Pushing one of those around the sky has got to be the ultimate thrill.

Don

That Merlin has to be the best recip aero engine ever built.  Even the Packard versions.

I seem to have an ear for different aero engines.  I can usually identify the P&W R-985/AN1 at a distance even when there's two of them as in an old C-45.  Several months ago I heard a strange sound coming not far above the treetops and went out in time to see a Spitfire headed West across the panhandle.  That was a real treat since I don't think I've ever seen a real one.  He was crusin easy and the sound was different.  That Merlin could scream on demand too.  Can't blame 'em for preserving that machine.

115/145 ain't available anymore as I know so they gotta hold the reins in somewhat.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

scsmith42

My friend tells me that he has to remove the engine every 250 hours to have the top end overhauled.  Not an inexpensive proposition.

I can't wait for my ride - probably be sometime in August before the annual is finished.

Scott

Norm

That is a beauty Scott, thanks for the picture. :)

I remember when I first started flying in the 90's one stopped at the local airport in route to EAA. I innocently asked one of the mechanics what it would cost to own one. His reply was the insurance was more than he and I made in a year. :D

thurlow

I suppose it's not quite the same as a P-51, but it's flying none-the-less.  For at least the second time, helium balloons and a lawn chair have carried a man aloft.

This is sho-nuff flying.

Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

sawguy21

At $1746 that was an expensive flight.:D :D :D Good thing there were no kids with BB guns. I wonder if he got his 'aircraft' back.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tony_T

Darn, I thought this was gonna be a thread about aircraft fasteners (nuts).............

pineywoods

Another EAA bash is history and I'm back in the 100 deg heat making sawdust. Lots of stuff to see, from the goodyear blimp to the latest F22 raptor fighter plane. U2 spy plane, C17 transport, 4 or 6 hundred homebuilts, 10 times that many factory planes, lots of new stuff coming soon. Most of the factory folks, (even cessna) are talking diesel engines. Avgas is getting pricey and scarce, diesels run fine on jet fuel. Unfortunately 2 nice P51s were lost in a landing accident. I missed a golden picture oportunity of a P38 lightening flying in formation with the F22 raptor.Camera was back in the camper.
Sure was tempting to stay over an extra week and make the FF pigroast, maybe next year.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

SwampDonkey

My brother was there in the early nineties, with my cousin who flew his plane down.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Warbird

Quote from: scsmith42 on July 10, 2007, 09:41:02 PM
My friend tells me that he has to remove the engine every 250 hours to have the top end overhauled.  Not an inexpensive proposition.

I can't wait for my ride - probably be sometime in August before the annual is finished.

Scott

That is entirely awesome.  Let us know how the ride goes?

scsmith42

Thank You Sponsors!