iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Two Firsts for my sawmill

Started by warren46, December 11, 2013, 10:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

warren46

I had two firsts at the mill today - one good and one not so much.

I got my first paying job today.  The owner of a lot just down the road from us is planning a house.  He has located a batch of hand hewn beams from a historic barn.  He wants to have it sawn into lumber to use in the house.  He asked me to pick up the beams and saw them, sticker them at my mill till spring.

I think that will be a good thing if I can find the nails before the band does.

I also had my first band come off the wheels today.  I tried to back the band out of a cut about a foot into the log.  Remind me not to try that again.

Scratch one blade.
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

mmartone

I have done that a few times with limited success, many times it goes just like that,, bang.
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

shortlogger

If I have to back my blade out of a cut I disengage it and wedge the the gap open with a chunk of wood then back it out .
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

warren46

Quote from: shortlogger on December 11, 2013, 10:49:02 PM
If I have to back my blade out of a cut I disengage it and wedge the the gap open with a chunk of wood then back it out .

That is what I will do next time for sure.
Warren E. Johnson

Chuck White

Agree, disengage the blade before backing out of a cant or log!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

I repeat myself but if you have plywood covers over your bandwheels most of the time you can save bands that are pulled off the wheels.If you have steel covers and space glue thin ply under the cover. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Deese

Whew! I bet those timbers have quite a bit of metal in them  :o
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Ocklawahaboy

What a great tip.  I'll file that under the "why didn't I think of that" file and implement it shortly.

Quote from: bandmiller2 on December 12, 2013, 08:03:28 AM
I repeat myself but if you have plywood covers over your bandwheels most of the time you can save bands that are pulled off the wheels.If you have steel covers and space glue thin ply under the cover. Frank C.

warren46

Quote from: bandmiller2 on December 12, 2013, 08:03:28 AM
I do have plywood covers on my mill but unfortunately the band got a sharp kink.
Warren E. Johnson

dboyt

The plywood trick works well, except I used pan head bolts so that I could remove it, if I need to.  Got a pair of plastic tree felling wedges and a hatchet.  They stay with the mill just for the purpose of opening up a cut so I can back out the blade.  Even if the blade is near the end of the cut, you can still back it out.  Sometimes you need the second wedge so you can get the first one out!

Looks like your blade is disguising itself as a pretzel.  I did that a couple of times before I figured out the wedge trick (always with the blade stopped).  Live & Learn!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Magicman

I noticed some ole man try to back out of a cut in Texas this week.  Didn't work for him either.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bill Gaiche

I thought what happened in Texas stayed in Texas. bg

Magicman

Quote from: Bill Gaiche on December 13, 2013, 03:22:51 PMI thought what happened in Texas stayed in Texas. bg 
OK, I will not tell on you.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on December 13, 2013, 01:51:15 PM
I noticed some ole man try to back out of a cut in Texas this week.  Didn't work for him either.   :-\

....and he will one day try it again, if he's alone.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

wwsjr

The plastic wedges did work. Did not take the kinks out of the blade.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

EZland

Thanks for the Plywood in the guard trick.  I am only just out my rookie year with my mill and this has happened to me several times.  Either nails or totally my fault.  So I keep wedges handy and it works about half the time. 

Instead of plywood  on the covers what about that plastic shower wall stuff.  I bet it would stay clean and not have any saw dust stick to it.  I will try it and let you know. 

BUT you gotta love that BANG as the band come off the wheels. 
EZ Boardwalk Jr. 30", Husky 455, Kioti 5010 w, FEL , And I just moved to Ohio.and still looking for logs.

God is great!  I will never be as good as the "Carpenter's Son"

Stephen1

Quote from: Magicman on December 13, 2013, 01:51:15 PM
Brain Fart?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Magicman

You got it.  It does not take but one "closed up" kerf to ruin your day as well as a blade.  Of course, that was a fresh blade.   :-\

warren46

I am glad that I am not the only one who occasionally does something he knows could result in unintended consequences.

Warren
Warren E. Johnson

PineNut

Had a similar problem last week. I was sawing up some old logs for firewood. Was careless and fed it a little too fast and the blade jammed in the log. It was only about 3 inches from the opening end. Nothing was going to get it too move.  Finally decided to remove the band from the mill while the band was still in the log. Moved the head out of the way and a chain saw make quick work of removing the band from the log.

Magicman

Seems like sometimes we need to be saved from ourselves.   :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on December 16, 2013, 08:01:58 PM
Seems like sometimes we need to be saved from ourselves.   :D

Old saying.  :)

Magicman

Are you calling me old again  ???

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on December 16, 2013, 08:25:53 PM
Are you calling me old again  ???

Oh no.....I have respect for my ELDERS.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!