iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fruit

Started by Yoopersaw, October 22, 2013, 03:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoopersaw

I had a fantastic season here in the U.P. this year.  I've had fresh strawberries since the middle of June.   Yesterday, I was still picking a few handfuls of them.  I ate a pear off  my trees, a couple of hands full of blackberries, still have a lot of apples hanging, so ate one of those.  Went over to the highbush blueberries and ate about a pint of those.   Some grapes are still hanging and enjoyed a few hands full of them.  Peaches came in great this year and are already frozen in the freezer as are the sour cherries.  A few went in the oven as fresh pies.  8)  I couldn't resist eating a few berries from my highbush cranberries, but they really aren't that great for eating.  The black walnuts on my 2 trees are still hanging so they have to be picked up shortly.  Earlier this summer, I ate tons and froze black and red raspberries.  Hazelnuts and beech nuts were also harvested; but, the squirrels beat me on those for the most part.  This has been one fantastic year for my fruit harvest, truly blessed on it.  Garden was also great and still have a couple of batches of Atomic Buffalo Turds to do. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

DanG

Wow!  I didn't see this until now, but CONGRATS!  You are truly blessed with such a bounty! 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SPIKER

The Pear trees here on my farm did GREAT this year, but was SO LOADED I lost several main branches!  :o >:(   I bet there were a 1000 pears on three trees,(2 are 4~5" & 1 is 3".)

The Peaches came on and looked wonderful then some blithe hit them and one tree rotted all of them, the other tree I ate 3 was all that managed to survive the Jap Beetles and long horns...   I took a few photos but didn't get change to post the pics and ask for advice on here yet.   maybe get that done soon, anyone know if Cedar Rust can effect Peaches?   they seemed to go brown and rot on the tree   I ahve half dozen American Arborvitae (white cedar) about 25~100 yards away form my fruit trees and not sure if that could be some of the issues I been having with the fruit trees?   

I dont spray the trees at all (none of them "I dont care about spots on my apples save me the birds and the bees")  8)   I got a few dozen good apples but deer and field mice too a toll on them along with wind storms broke several apple branches as well. ::) >:(

We planted 3 blueberry bushes 2 years ago, but unfortunately they are deer candy and rabbit delicacy  >:( :(  We have a very good Black Raspberry season, the Black Berries were a bit dry and cold spring in Ohio.   No red raspberries on my place but thinking about planting a few & have several grape vines but have not trained them well enough

I planted half dozen good plum trees (most all dies & rest are infected with some canker issue) and 2000 American Plumbs the A.P. are great to bring the turkey right into the back yard.    They are horrible to mow around tho and spread like poison ivy lol...   

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

scgargoyle

Sometime I'd like to make a Rumtopf (rum pot). You place fruit in a crock, putting a layer of fruit, sugar, and cover with rum. Traditionally, you start with the first fresh fruit of the season, add different fruits all summer, and finish with the last, usually pears. Six weeks, after the last fruit, it is ready. I'm not sure what it all tastes like, but after the first serving, you probably wouldn't care! :D
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

LeeB

Quote from: scgargoyle on November 08, 2013, 06:01:45 AM
Sometime I'd like to make a Rumtopf (rum pot). You place fruit in a crock, putting a layer of fruit, sugar, and cover with rum. Traditionally, you start with the first fresh fruit of the season, add different fruits all summer, and finish with the last, usually pears. Six weeks, after the last fruit, it is ready. I'm not sure what it all tastes like, but after the first serving, you probably wouldn't care! :D

We used to do that to make fruit cake.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

sawguy21

I have done that with vodka, used the fruit as an ice cream topping. Replenish  as necessary and keep in a cool dark place. Keep the kids out of it though. the stuff packs a wallop.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!