iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Frame / Post and Beam supports for ridge beam and loft

Started by clayhillsfarm, May 22, 2014, 06:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clayhillsfarm

I am building a metal SIPs home and I am going to need a post to support the ridge beam. Rather than having an ugly beam in the center of the house I would like to use timbers. Additionally, for the loft area, I do not want to rely 100% on SIPs wall attachments for the joists and flooring so that will be traditional framing / timber framing. I would like to add a timber frame structure to the inside of the great room and above the kitchen area. I have attached a proposed sketch. Any input would be appreciated. Let me note... I have no experience with timber framing or building but just seeing if this is feasible. I will certainly use a structural engineer and an architect before building this home. We are in the concept phase now.

VictorH

What you want can be done and is done all the time using Timber framing.  Just How long of a ridge beam do you need and do you plan on it just being supported at the end posts?  There is a lot of info that will be needed for the folks here to be of help to you.

btw - Welcome to the forum clayhillsfarms!!  Tell us a little more about you and where you are from.

shinnlinger

Typically might be too strong a word but frequently SIPS are installed over a traditional timber frame.   You are in the right place.   Check out some of the other frame plans on here to get an idea. 
Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

clayhillsfarm

Thanks for the replies! I am a mechanical engineer so sometimes I will "over-engineer" things. Which in the case of a home that I don't want to fall down, is a good thing. I am just trying to keep costs down overall or I probably would go with a timber frame home covered in SIPs.

The workshop is 60' long so the ridge beam would be that long. I think supporting it about 2/3rds of the way along the beam with a post would be fine. However, if I go with metal SIPs I may not need to support the ridge beam for that span. In that case I would use more timber to support the loft area. I have attached another drawing of the proposed workshop layout.

I will look at some of the plans on here to get a better idea and plan to get some books from the library this week as well.

Thank You Sponsors!