iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question of the day

Started by VT-Woodchuck, November 27, 2018, 08:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VT-Woodchuck

My nephew (an excellent finish carpenter) was picking up a couple of pick-up loads of cherry lumber a couple of days ago. As we were sorting through my piles, he asked "Do you like sawing the lumber or making something with it?"
Great question! I had to think a while but I chose sawing the lumber. Tough choice.
What say you?

MSSawmill

Haha! It's sometimes a toss-up sometimes. Seeing a tree open up and turn into beautiful wood is pretty amazing. There's definitely something about seeing the grain the for the first time, and watching that stack of lumber grow is pretty satisfying. But seeing that lumber planed down smooth, and then the transformation into something useful and beautiful is pretty awesome, too... 
Home-built bandsaw mill
2004 Kubota M110 with LA1301 loader

ely

Magicman

I have been on both sides and sometime in between, but in my today's world my satisfaction is opening a log and being the first person to ever see what is inside. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

Tough call...

I like the whole process really. from cutting down a tree through to building a finished item.  OK, some bits I do like more than others.  :D

Cutting down trees, milling logs, building stuff at the best parts.  8)
Cleaning up brush, stacking wood, and finishing projects can be a bit more of a drag, but they need to be done so you do the more fun bits.  :-\
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Crossroads

Definitely milling at this point 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Woodpecker52

I use to enjoy making furniture but now my time is filled with sawing logs, stacking, stickering, lumber, hauling slabs, shoveling sawdust, mill  upkeep, sharpening blades etc.  Have not even had time to go hunting and I live in the woods.  My daughter wanted me to build her a table, she said I have plenty of wood,  but I will have to wait till the spring when I finally get through with cutting the cypress logs I have decked up.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

DARRELL1972

For me it's all one process. I enjoy going from log to finished piece. Be it a dining table or a scrollsawn piece.
95lt40hd
74 8k windham forklift
2018 eg100

ladylake

Since I bought my mill in 2002 I might have spent 30 hours in the woodshop.  It use to be 30 hours a week.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

kelLOGg

When people ask me what I make with the logs I saw, I say "lumber" and that usually results in a puzzled look so I explain about custom sawing; sometimes they understand and sometimes they don't. Occasionally I will undertake making a simple bench or table but that's not the #1 reason. It was surely nice to have a sawmill when I enclosed our garden built a chicken coop.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

goose63

Milling my left hand can't take the beatting when I pick up a hammer  :D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

moodnacreek

Back when it was a hobby, both, but now the wood working shop is a greasy repair shop for the sawmill. Actually closing the w.w. shop became necessary because people wanted me to plane, joint and cut to length the lumber I thought they would take rough. I did this the first year, what a mistake, if somebody gets in that shop it's over until dark or worse. A short trip to going broke.

SawyerTed

I enjoy all of it.  For my personal use I really enjoy picking out a tree, cutting it, milling and drying the lumber and turning the lumber into a finished project.  

My woodworking is 75 percent for fun, 25% for profit.  My sawmilling is primarily for my retirement physical and mental health, for retirement income and of course fun.  While I enjoy "logging" (that's a loose use of the word for the "logging" I do), it isn't my favorite part when I do it.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Sixacresand

I like both.  My back hates both.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WV Sawmiller

I am not a woodworker and primitive benches and a rough pole barn or shed is about the limit of my woodworking skills so milling has to be my favorite. I just wish I had more room to store it and equipment to move the finished lumber around. 

My true favorite thing is seeing someone else make something from my lumber that makes them happy.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

dirtmotor

I like wood , (make a good song huh) cant help it , from cutting tree to cutting window trim and everything in-between got my first taste of sawdust when I was 2 and been hooked ever since . :)

VT-Woodchuck

This was a tough one for me too. The grandchildren seem to like the inscription under each gift - "Grandpa Gage cut down the tree, milled it into lumber and made this gift, just for you." 
Summer in the woods, winter in the shop!

Lawg Dawg

I like running the sawmill to make money...I can cut in a day (profit) almost as much as I can make in a week (profit) in the woodshop...that being said, the woodworking I did when I first started sawmilling is what really got my name out there!

Here's a small sample of my work!

;D
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

DbltreeBelgians

Holy Wow!!   smiley_thumbsup  Very nice work.

Brent

WDH

I go back and forth, back and forth :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

samandothers

Lawn Dawg, did you empty those barrels?  ;D

Very nice looking creations. Is the chair painted black to simulate charring?

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: samandothers on November 28, 2018, 09:03:05 PM
Lawn Dawg, did you empty those barrels?  ;D

Very nice looking creations. Is the chair painted black to simulate charring?
Yeah, I emptied them one sitting... :D
Those are authentic whiskey barrel staves I made those chairs out of, no paint
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

thecfarm

Nice work! And the way you took the pictures ain't all that bad either. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

samandothers

What did you do to keep the charring from making a mess?

I like your taste in bourbon!

Thank You Sponsors!