iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

band blade tension

Started by Blaszer, November 30, 2018, 07:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blaszer

Ive got a band mill that I built and have used for years...  What is a good primitive way to measure the tensionon my blade?My tensioner is a 1 1/2 all thread that pushes the driven wheel away from the drive side wheel...I guess the question is, how much deflection in the bad over a certain distance would indicate proper tension.?

GAB

Using a 1- 1/4 x .045 thick blade I would aim for at least .001" per inch of length to start and see how it works.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Southside

There are cheaper one out there but this sort of gauge will give you an accurate reading, you could calibrate your tensioner this way too.  

Band tensioner
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

DbltreeBelgians

I hope that .001" is .001" per inch in a  6" span. If he's got a 158" band that's gonna be a whole lot of stretching the way I see it. Maybe I'm wrong on that.

Brent

thecfarm

Push down on the middle of the blade with your thumb. ;D 
I have a Thomas mill. Been doing it that way for years. I must have a feel for it. It works. ??? 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

Look up the Timberwolf site and try their flutter test. Too much tension is the leading cause of band breakage. It just seems so natural to highly tension a band to force it on a straight path but it doesn't work that way. When a good sharp well set band cuts straight that's the proper tension. My own home built has springs I compress to a certain distance. Frank C. 
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

If your lumber comes out nice and smooth, without a lot of dips and dives or random marks, your tension is most likely good!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Southside

Too much tension also leads to bearing failure, so there is a sweet spot. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!