iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Well now I did it. The sawmill build has begun.

Started by Crusarius, July 04, 2017, 06:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

Fedex says 22 hp predator is out for delivery.

Crusarius

here is the first piece.

of course now I wonder how well it will fit in the cozy coupe right next to it  :)
Nah, I need a sawmill

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Crusarius

I really do not need that kind of encouragement :) Already planning on building a pair of mini baja cars for father and son :)

Crusarius

Test fired the engine this weekend. Fired right up. Ran great. Hopefully it does the same under load.

Mental note for anyone buying this engine. It does not have pull start like I thought it did. And it also did not come with a fuel tank.

Good news is there is a siphon pump so it will suck fuel out of a corona bottle :)

Ox

Is it the typical vacuum operated fuel pump found on these types of engines?  Glad it's running good.  I'm sure it'll be fine when hooked up and under a load.

Did you order any steel or plans or anything yet?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Crusarius

not yet. need to go back to linn lumber and look at the kits again. Still think it makes sense to order the kit for all the other parts.

Crusarius

Ox, thanx for the hospitality was great to meet you and really helpful looking at your mill.

Crusarius

So I have been thinking about the bed for my mill. I would like to use box steel for the main frame. I am planning on using angle iron legs down for the rails to make a V and then using v groove wheels.

How many wheels should I do?

I know it is just a matter of time before I hit the rails with the tractor or drop something on them and damage them. My thought was either 3 or 4 wheels per side. That way if I ding the rail the second wheel will carry the first over it. The wheels with be within 6" of each other on the front. if I choose 4 wheels then they will be the same 6" spacing on the back.

Now that I think about it, a true V groove wheel rides on the flats not on the point. Maybe this question just became null and void?

Anybody have any thoughts or opinions?

Kbeitz

I got my V groove wheels off E-bay and I used 6.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crusarius

What size did you use? I was thinking I wanted 2 or 2.5.

tule peak timber

I have a few of these , new , if you want them let me know . Send something to the FF and I will send them to you !  Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Crusarius

KB did you end up centering the middle wheel?

tule peak timber

These are WM parts from a mill I used to own.  Rob

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crusarius

I had some time last night to play with the bed design. Please ,excuse my super crude drawing. it was late and last minute.

The yellow bars are 2" tubes with 1.5" tube slid inside and locked with a T nut. They have a pivot point in the center of them. The red bar connects the bottoms of all the yellows that pivot off the center point. There is a threaded rod connecting to the red bar that makes it so I can stand at the end of the mill and raise all of them using a crank or power tools. Maybe electric motor if I get crazy.

Any thoughts on why this will not work? I think it will work for raising and lowering nicely but not sure if I want all 4 backstops to move all the time.

Kbeitz

Just like some car lifts. I think it will work great if you also weld in some cross members.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crusarius

yea thats what those hard to see black boxes are. The arms will actually rest against them when all the way up. That will give me a positive stop so the threaded rod is not supporting it.

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

Quote from: Crusarius on July 17, 2017, 09:24:38 AM
Ox, thanx for the hospitality was great to meet you and really helpful looking at your mill.
Glad it was helpful for ya - if you need other measurements or whatever just give a holler!

I think if you're running v groove wheels on an angle iron upside down in a "v" and you're not riding on the edge of one of the legs, and you nick or dent the top of the "v" it'll tend to push out material (the steel angle iron itself) which will make your mill bounce UP a little when it rides over it, not down.  In this scenario your extra wheels are null and void.  In this scenario quick application with a BFH (big fast hammer ;D) will mash the anomaly back down and flat with utmost authority.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Crusarius

Ox, that is a very good point.

Can you measure the throat depth on your saw? from the blade to the frame. Want to know how big of a beam I can make.

Ox

12 1/2".

A 12 x 12, 16' long will require 3 men and a boy to move.  Maybe even Grandma holding a whip...

Crusarius

I have this feeling my L2800 Kubota will not be big enough when I start doing real milling

Ox

You're probably right.  You'll be rolling, sliding and skidding instead of lifting sometimes...

Can you set up a jib pole?  I was going to go this route years ago but never did. 

Do you know about parbuckling?  Your tractor will make short work of big logs using this method.

btulloh

Quote from: Crusarius on July 18, 2017, 10:21:48 AM
I have this feeling my L2800 Kubota will not be big enough when I start doing real milling

Nothing is ever big enough, but it seems like everybody makes do with whatever they have.  I always need something bigger.  Mostly I use 3pt hitch forks on the back of the tractor and make do.  They have the most lifting capacity for my tractor.  I also made some bucket forks for the 4-in-1 which are useful too, but have their limitations.

Good luck with the build and the new tractor, forklift, skidsteer, pole barn, saw shed, kiln, equipment shed, chainsaws, cant hooks, hookaroons, etc.  you'll be getting sometime in the future.
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!