Sponsors:

State Record Trees

Started by Ron Scott, October 31, 2021, 02:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

Michigan

RE:  BYRON SAILOR MEASURED MICHIGAN RECORD WHITE PINE

Fun find for Michigan! 

155 feet tall, 15 feet+ circumference, 63-foot crown spread.
Big Tree formula is Circumference (inches) + height (feet) + 0.25 average crown spread = points

https://www.mlive.com/news/2021/10/a-remote-upper-peninsula-white-pine-has-been-crowned-michigans-tallest-tree.html 

~Ron

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chet

A few of us Forum members may have already visited that site.   :)
The photo on the welcome page of Just Jim huggin' da big tree was in that very same area.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Roxie

That's truly awesome!  Thanks for sharing that Ron. 
Say when

Jeff

Yup, very very close, but by the discription not the tree. Sounds like it's on the Mccormick tract.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chet

We wuz in the northern corner of McCormick Tract. :)  If ya remember we parked da machines at a boundary sign and walked a ways in. Check da photos ya took, you may even have one of da boundary sign.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chet

yup 8)  Did ya happen ta git a pic of da sign were we parked da machines.

I see da early stages of my bald head wuz startin' ta show up back then.  :D

beenthere

Have this pic of the Ottawa Nat'l Forest sign

And includes the great camp cook (one of several) on the right, Jeff's brother-in-law Pete (may he rest in peace)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chet

Yer da man, dats da entrance sign.  :) 

An interesting visitor recount of the area.  Note the comments at the 3:48 PM point.    https://www.summitpost.org/mccormick-tract-nct/354271

beenthere

A closer look at the sign.. where our host passed member nailhead pointing out something.. maybe the tree location? Pic taken 9/22/2007

south central Wisconsin

Clark

Always interesting to hear of those large trees.

I've had the opportunity to go onto the Huron Mountain Club property several times. We hiked back to the location of a large white pine just to see what was around. We didn't bring anything to measure it until the second year. I think I lasered it at 152' tall and somewhere around 5' diameter. Supposedly not the largest on the property but certainly one of the largest.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

SwampDonkey

Nice big old specimen for sure. :)

Not to boast or noth'n, but the Aroostook, NB white pine is 22 feet circumference, 130 feet tall. But not as nice a specimen as yours in Michigan, it has multiple stems. But it did influence the route of the 4-lane highway.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!