iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Who Controls Your Computer?

Started by Gary_C, December 16, 2017, 12:35:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary_C

I know for sure it's not me. Don't know if it's Google, Microsoft, Dell or some one else but not me.  With all the popups, notifications, alerts, and updates there is always something going on. I try to resist the updates but they are persistent to the point of being annoying and I know I'm not going to like the changes.

Right now it's especially bad. I asked my wife what she wanted for Christmas and one of the things she thought of was a new electric fry pan. So I looked them up online and now every time I go online (and every time she goes online) we are bombarded with ads for electric fry pans.

This tracking stuff is getting very annoying. Is there any way to stop all these updates and tracking?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

DDW_OR

for surfing the web i use Firefox.

i am the sole user of my computer and have two accounts
first is the Administrator, that is ONLY used for installing or changing software.
the User account is what i use for my day to day.

"let the machines do the work"

Ianab

The adverts?

No, they are outside the bounds of your computer. They know you have searched "Frypans", and gone to a specific web site from that search.

So knowing that, what adverts would you send to that PC? Well if you were really smart you might send adverts for fishing lures or Tartare sauce... But the AI isn't quite that smart yet.

Now it's possible to run a computer with 100% "Open Source" software. Linux / Firefox / Chromium / Libre Office etc. That's not controlled by any corporation as such.

But you can't control the way that web pages (out of your control) track and send you adverts.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Roxie

I also use Firefox as my browser, their ad blocking is wonderful.  If I go to a page that asks me to turn off my ad blocker, I just smile and backstroke to a page that won't hassle me. 

I also changed my search engine from Google to duckduckgo.com, because no one should track you like Google brags about doing. 

There is a setting on my computer that updates only when you permit it.  I still get notices that updates are available, but this prevents them from just grabbing your computer and having their way with it. 
Say when

sprucebunny

I use Ghostery to block ads and like Roxie, if a website is pushy, there are lots of others.

I use Startpage search that doesn't record your IP address.
I have an Apple computer which is a less 'controlled' platform.

The trackers are so stupid. They have no idea if I bought something. I'm over the 'electric frypan' or whatever and have no need for more ads.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

PA_Walnut

Most search engines use (and sell) tracking data and Facebook is also using pixel-tracking to utilize and monetize your browsing also.
Don't be surprised some day when there's a directory accessible online that reports all of your site visit data.

PIA is a great option. (Private Internet Access). It's an anonymous VPN service that encrypts your connection and provides you with an anonymous IP address. Excellent service for a great price.

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

50 Acre Jim

Quote from: Gary_C on December 16, 2017, 12:35:58 AM
This tracking stuff is getting very annoying. Is there any way to stop all these updates and tracking?
Gary_C, aside from all the above you can also use the TOR browser   This is directly from their website. 
QuoteThe Tor software protects you by bouncing your communications around a distributed network of relays run by volunteers all around the world: it prevents somebody watching your Internet connection from learning what sites you visit, it prevents the sites you visit from learning your physical location, and it lets you access sites which are blocked.
The upside is your searches and browser is protected from all the stuff you are describing.  The downside is it's a little slow.  But given how it works, that is to be expected.  I prefer the slowdown over being tracked. 
Go to work?  Probably Knott.  Because I cant.

BradMarks

And not just your laptop or desktop.  How about your smart phone.  That GPS feature isn't just for you, just recently (of course with an update - otherwise phone would be useless) started getting my photos put into "albums" with geographic headers.  Even photos from years ago. Not my doing. Big Brother (or Sis) knows where, what,  almost how and probably why :o 

PA_Walnut

Geotagging on phone pics has been going on for a while. It's metadata contained in the EXIF portion of the file, along with time/date stamps, camera info like lens, exposure, etc.

It can be turned off in settings. The file can also have this data removed/altered by little apps that can see and modify this info.

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

MbfVA

I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but you can't use mapping and directions if you turn off location  entirely
www.ordinary.com (really)

MbfVA

I am working on a plan to make our domain, ordinary.com, into a safe place of sorts,  more details as I get them worked out with some smarter people than I am.

To give you an example, how would you like to have an email address where the email provider will not search your email for information about you to use for marketing purposes?

I have been thinking of ways to promote ordinary.com for a long time,  once we get something going with it besides our restaurant (whose website we will move).  It should be fun.

50 Acre Jim

Quote from: MbfVA on January 02, 2018, 05:59:55 PM
To give you an example, how would you like to have an email address where the email provider will not search your email for information about you to use for marketing purposes?
Seems reasonable.  Kind of like unseen.is. 
Go to work?  Probably Knott.  Because I cant.

MbfVA

It seems to be much harder to control intrusions on our small "devices" as opposed to laptops and desktops. There is no Little Snitch version for phones that I know of, for example.

I suggest clearing cookies and other retained memory items regularly on each & all of your browsers.  It won't cure all, but it will cut down on the effectiveness of the snooping.

You heard my prediction here first: There will be a @MeToo style rebellion about privacy & Big data snooping before long.  And in my opinion, equally overdue.

The head of the FCC has shown that private citizen issues, privacy, net neutrality, etc, are not his big concern.

IMERC

ditch google and replace it w/ DuckDuckGo... that is a serious start...
clean your mess up w/ CCleaner... the free version is more than adequate...
the 1st time you run it will take a long time.. as in a very very long time...
run it 3 or 4 times in a row... after that it will only take seconds to do it's thing...
before you close the CCleaner window read after it's done, the pages of lines of the garbage that have been put on your computer...
it'll make you feel sick...
CCleaner tools will rip out any uninstall you do using them by the roots...
their registry repair is outstanding too... not bullet proof.. just outstanding...
this software can be optioned out to do too much so start out simple...
dump Hotmail, AOL and Yahoo while you are in there and hammer doen the lid on Amazon......
use Firefox for your browser.. and use it in private browsing...
turn off auto updates...
turn off IE.. yes.. turn it off...
do not accept 3rd party cookies...
see the PDF's for more...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

IMERC

Quote from: MbfVA on January 02, 2018, 11:17:25 PMI suggest clearing cookies and other retained memory items regularly on each & all of your browsers. It won't cure all, but it will cut down on the effectiveness of the snooping.

CCleaner is made to order for this...
I've been using it since 2004 W/o issue...

Quote from: MbfVA on January 02, 2018, 11:17:25 PMYou heard my prediction here first: There will be a @MeToo style rebellion about privacy & Big data snooping before long.

I believe you will find that is already happening...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....