iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Going to saw Magnolia.....UPDATE....I DID. Update starts at reply#13.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, January 02, 2015, 04:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

Well I knew all that, its so elementary.  That having been said I am still confused about what a "hand lense" is.   ;D. Seriously though thank you, I will check out the link.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

LeeB

Hand lense is a magnifying glass.

Yep the goat is self loaded. You might even say full of it.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

phinds

Quote from: WDH on January 06, 2015, 07:40:19 AM
Magnolia, for some reason, instead of a single band of marginal parenchyma, usually has a double band.
I'll be damned. I had never noticed that. I checked all my samples and I only see it on two of them, so I guess I'd have to say that in my experience your use of "usually" doesn't apply, but that's a fairly limited set of samples and you may be right. In any case it's interesting and I'm glad you pointed it out.

Paul
you can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

fishpharmer

Beautiful lumber!  Here I am in Mississippi, The Magnolia State and I am yet to find a log larger than 6" dbh.  I will search harder. :)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

taylorsmissbeehaven

Thanks for sharing those pictures Poston! I have cut several Magnolia logs and am always fascinated with the colors that appear just as the cut is made. I have a man that builds picture frames with it that buys every stick from me. Thanks again for sharing, Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

WDH

Paul,

It would be interesting to do a study to see how prevalent the double band of marginal parenchyma is in Magnolia grandiflora.  It shows up in a couple of the samples depicted on your website. 

I am sure, however, that the folks in the Chainsaw Board probably don't give a rip about marginal parenchyma  :D :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Southside

JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Warped

Quote from: WDH on January 06, 2015, 09:23:08 PM
Paul,

It would be interesting to do a study to see how prevalent the double band of marginal parenchyma is in Magnolia grandiflora.  It shows up in a couple of the samples depicted on your website. 

I am sure, however, that the folks in the Chainsaw Board probably don't give a rip about marginal parenchyma  :D :D.
Ohhhhhh, so that's where parchment paper comes from! So, tinfoil must come from steel magnolias? Learn something knew everyday!
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

FarmingSawyer

Quote from: Warped on January 07, 2015, 01:39:09 AM
Ohhhhhh, so that's where parchment paper comes from! So, tinfoil must come from steel magnolias? Learn something knew everyday!

Don'tcha know, parchment comes from Goat skin...... ;D
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Herb Brooks

No need to hide your hide Poston.  Parchment paper and bakery release paper are cellulose-based papers that are used in baking as a disposable non-stick surface. Both are also called bakery paper or baking paper. It should not be confused with waxed paper, also known as wax paper or rarely as butter paper.  Unless I need a new pair of gloves.  (the above stolen from wiki)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Herb Brooks on January 07, 2015, 11:11:38 AM
No need to hide your hide Poston. 

Thanks Herb.....They had me scared for a minute there!

PARCHMENT?  smiley_horserider

Southside

JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Warped

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 07, 2015, 04:00:40 PM
Quote from: Herb Brooks on January 07, 2015, 11:11:38 AM
No need to hide your hide Poston. 

Thanks Herb.....They had me scared for a minute there!

PARCHMENT?  smiley_horserider

You wouldn't try and pass off an alpaca with a bad haircut as goat would ya?
Anyways, now that we've destroyed your thread, those really are nice boards.
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Thank You Sponsors!