iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Has anyone built their own woodworking bench with woodworking vices?

Started by LaneC, March 25, 2015, 07:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaneC

These beautiful benches are nice to just look at :) they give ideas and start the thinking wheels turning. Those are nice benches, I appreciate yall sharing them.
Man makes plans and God smiles

stanwelch

Thanks for the complements guys.

Chris Schwarz has published an article about building a pine (SYP) workbench. Google for the article on a $175 workbench. You could use 2x4 lumber but you would have to cut each edge to make it square then your top would be a max of 3" thick. You could get better lumber (fewer knots ) using 2x12 boards and ripping to the size you want.

When planning your top glue up make sure the grain of each piece is going the same direction. This will make it easier to plane the surface flat with less tearout. Also if using pine wipe the glue surface with acetone to remove the surface pitch before adding glue for better bond.
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

Lud

I counted up in my head and I think I have 14 workbenches .  Some have metal tops, I like using a light plywood skin that is replaceable on some.  It all depends on what you use them for .......other than holding stuff you set down.  Best if you leave the stuff there so you'll remember where you put it! 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Brad_bb

Wranglerstar(on youtube) did a nice series on building a very good carpenters bench.

https://youtu.be/idVew6hgqrY
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Phorester

Don't know if you've already searched this site for woodworking bench info, but here's a link to mine I built a few years ago that might help.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,50810.0.html

LaneC

Man makes plans and God smiles

Phorester

Stan, that is one amazing workbench.

5 months to build......... takes a lot of patience to do it right.

Thank You Sponsors!