iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

gasket material

Started by coxy, May 08, 2018, 06:44:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

to make your own gaskets  a friend gave me a bunch of exhaust gasket with the metal in it can you use it for other things like the oil pan or a water pump gasket 

Don P

I don't know, I suspect you can if it will close the gap, oil pan might require more gap filling than it has.
I needed some gasket material not long ago for a compressor head and asked at a few of the local auto supplies. All any of them had was rolls of the thicker cork which would be good for an oil pan or valve cover but what I needed was the thinner posterboard stuff or better yet your metal embedded stuff. I was strolling through Tractor Supply shortly afterward in the aisle with the tractor tune up kits and there they were, rolls of several weights of gasket material. 

mike_belben

Old school paper bag or gift bag from your wifes Christmas stash.  Lay it over the surface and take a itty bitty ball peen and tap it over the edge outline ever so slightly.  Its like lazer cutting, will self trim if the edges are square enough.  

I do replace gaskets with pure 3bond pretty frequently.  Usually after a good resurfacing.
Praise The Lord

bushhog920

I work in a automotive engine plant ( Hyundai ) where we make the 2.4 and 2.0 turbo and the trend is no gaskets. Clean flat surface with good quality rtv saves a lot of $$$ to not having to have tons of gaskets that only fit in one spot. Five years there and it still amazes me to watch the robots apply rtv in seconds, perfect every time. You can use a sharpening stone to flatten the parts and permitex has a good video on which rtv's to use where.

luvmexfood

Noticed the last time I used the tractor it was leaking motor oil around the fuel pump or possibly from the pump. Would a permatex type gasket material be ok to use if it around the base? Didn't have time to check it then. Been out on the road doing some work and have not checked it yet. 
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

mike_belben

3 bond has done it all for me.  Loctite also has a commercial grade gasket maker that reminds me of that black "aviation" gasket goo, that works great.

Clean and fully cured will be critical with any of them.
Praise The Lord

Oliver05262

In the Navy, all we had was asbestos based hard gasket material, or we used #2 permatex--or used them together on things like pipe flange joints. On engine joints, we had some factory gaskets, or  we'd send somebody topside to find a Quartermaster and get some old navigation chart to cut up.
  Things are a lot better today, and maybe a little less jury rigged.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

coxy

my dad always saved the cereal boxes for gaskets there was a lot of oil stopped by my captain crunch boxes :D 

mike_belben

My dad saved the thin pizza boxes for it actually. Seems pizza is mostly corrugated these days.  
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!