iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sunny Sunday Sawing

Started by Ianab, January 11, 2004, 01:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

A few pics from our weekend expedition. A friend was cutting up some old cypress hedging for firewood and had way more than he needed. Had a look and there were a few good logs in among the rubbish so we hauled the mill out and cut them up.
It's mid summer here and it's as hot as a really hot place  :o
Though you might appreciate the pics more if you are up north in the snow  ;)
I'm off to put some more Aloe Vera on the sunburn :(

Ian

Mill loaded on trailer

Mill set out looking toward Mt

View out toward the sea

The mill running

Load of timber on trailer. So this evenings mission is to get that stickered in the drying shed ::)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Fla._Deadheader

DanG Lan, you take some of the best pictures. That is gorgeous scenery. Thanks. (it's cold in Florida, too) ;D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

WV_hillbilly

lanab  is that an   I beam that goes down the center of your tailer ?  Do you put a trolley and hoist on it to load logs ? That is some nice looking firewood you saved there .
Hillbilly

Ianab

Hi WV

The first pic is the whole mill packed on a trailer, the beam you can see is the main rails that the mill frame runs on. The 2nd pic shows the rails on the ground with the mill frame in position and the remains of the last log laying on the wooden bunks between the rails. We just use the 4wd to drag small logs like those to the mill. Any log thats too big to drag, we can wheel the mill to it and set up around the log

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WV_hillbilly

See what happens when I think into things to much . I thought that maybe you  one upped some of these boys trailers around here . It kind a looked like those  trolley systems they have on burial vault trailers around here .
Hillbilly

Ianab

No worries WV, but looking at the pic I know what you were thinking about, and I guess it could work. A frame, a beam and a winch.....
See what the local inventors / welders come up with eh?  ;)

Ian

Captain

AHHHH yes, Kiwi summer....I would like to perhaps take in New Year's there sometime.

The folks from Peterson restart after the holidays today.  Is it customary ther in NZ to take a 3 week holiday around Christmas and New Years? (great custom)

Captain

Ianab

Yup Captain....
NZ basically closes down for 3 weeks over Christmas / New Year
For some strange reason we have been busy this last week (computer work).. and I was hoping for some short work days and some afternoons with the mill ;)
Works both ways.. been waiting for a new coil for my 066 and the wharehouse is closed :(
 Plus it's too hot to work, any sane person would just go to the beach ;) Only a sawdust addict would go and haul logs !!

Ian

PS .. June / July is only good for sking and cold water surfing here. If it's not raining ... the mud still wont dry out before it rains again

woodbeard

I am sure I saw some hobbits in one of those pictures :D

I am thinking about getting a little trailer like that. Loading the Peterson mill on the back of a pickup truck is NOT as easy as it looks like in the video! >:(  
Did get it set up, though and I will post some pics soon. The scenery here in Dismal is not quite as dramatic, however. ;D

Ianab

Yes I think the trailer is a better option then a pickup for carrying the mill. Just load it with the ends of the frame hanging over each end of the trailer and lash it down with cargo strops  :)
Now if you are looking for hobbits, this pic is taken 10 miles up the road in Hobbits natural habitat. ;)

woodbeard

Watch out for Ents, I don't think they would appreciate being milled. :D

karl

Nice pics!! beautiful country!!  8)what's all that green stuff ??? Only green I'm seeing lately is greenbacks going for fuel!!  ::)Thinking that my winter home should be on the other side of the equator. Think I could get a discount on a mill if'n I came to pick it up? ;)
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

UNCLEBUCK

That is a really cool mill lanab !  Thanks for the wonderful pictures too !  It"s a balmy 2 degrees out tonight here in west central minnesota . Just thought I would throw that in !  ::)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Ianab

Just thought I would revisit this post as I've now got the timber dry enough to use for some projects  :)
The wood is Leyland Cypress, x Cupressocyparis leylandii. It's a hybrid of Macrocarpa Cypress and Nootka Cypress. Timber is a very light colour, dried quickly and seems pretty stong and stable. Being cypress it's a bit soft for furniture use but the kids wanted a new computer desk, so here goes nothing  :D
Anyway if you come across any of these trees, they are worth cutting up.
And I need to practice my carpentry  ;)

Ian

Frank_Pender

Hey, thanks for the revisit. :)  those first pictures are absolutely delightful to view again.  8) The puter table is very nice.  thank you for shasring Ian. :)
Frank Pender

Percy

I missed this  first time around....WOW....beautiful everything, you are a talented and lucky guy ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Thank You Sponsors!