iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mahogany

Started by riverlog, August 10, 2008, 02:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

riverlog

Hi , I am a deadhead logger in Florida. I have found what appears to be mahogany logs underwater for app. 100 years or so. I need help on how to dry this wood and market it. What wood be the best cuts for market? Thank you for whatever help you may be able to give. riverlog

(i have some pics as soon as i learn to  put them on)

cypress&heartpine the beauty of the past brought into the present

solidwoods

2nd attempt.
Good luck with it being Mahogany  (and I hope it is) but what would mahogany be floated in America for. 
Poplar, gum, cherry could look like mahogany given water/time events.

Either way.
If its more than 18" dia I'd quartersaw it, then get it straight to a kiln.
That is very important because mishandled the drying can turn it into 4/4 firewood.

It would be good to team up with a mill/kiln operator.  That would make the flow of material handling and degrade loss allot less.

Marketing -
Sales are easy.
Retail sales are not so easy.
Retail pays much more than wholesale.
Talk to the biggest woodworking shops around also the highest priced woodworkers around.  They will tell you the thickness they want most.
The high priced woodworkers may want some of the oddest shapes that you think are junk. 
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

riverlog

Thanks Jim, I hope its mahogany too ! I'm still doing research until I know for sure, I want to treat it as such. the guy at the mill who is going to cut and dry it wasn't for sure at what temperature to use for mahogany . Thanks again 
Dennis
cypress&heartpine the beauty of the past brought into the present

Thank You Sponsors!