iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MJ's swingblade

Started by barbender, March 13, 2006, 08:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

Here is some pictures of my buddy MJ with the swingmill he built.  It has a 24 horse Honda and makes an 8" cut.  He runs it without the water lube system for the blade even though he did put one on there. He says the water lube is for guys that don't know how to set up their mill  :). This is an aspen log ready to be sawed. 

Too many irons in the fire

barbender

Some more pics- 
MJ and his nephew Jake (in the yellow hat) discuss the next cut 

The finished product 

woodbowl

Hey barbender, you got to get Mr MJ on the forum. I sure would like to here his building story. Good job.  8)
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

barbender

I'll try to do that- MJ is not your typical homebrew mill builder, he's a lifelong machinist, and he just loves to tinker with stuff. He's never been able to keep a regular job, something else would catch his attention and off he would go  :D He's in his 60's, he told me his Mom (86 years old I think) just recently quit bugging him about getting a real job :D He has a machine shop, some foundry stuff- he casts and makes parts for old Indian motorcycles, does some welding, made a line boring rig for redoing bushings on equipment, etc etc.  He's a fun guy- He describes himself as a mad scientist who lives in a foundry  :)  I think thats a pretty good description, couldn't have said it better myself

getoverit

I'm interested in his mechanisim to swing the blade. It looks like the handle for doing this is offset quite a bit, and I wonder how it is all linked together. Obviously it works though, just wonder how he does it.

Thanks for the pics !
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Thank You Sponsors!