iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm not as young

Started by Quartlow, May 24, 2005, 07:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quartlow

As I used to be. Had a rain day for work so I tackled some projects around here.
Last fall cousin brought home all the steel from the reroof of the building he works in. Building is about 60 X120 so you have an idea of how much steel roofing he brought home.  ::)  Well it was all mixed up was 3 differant styles so I sorted and stacked it all on skids, not being satisfied with that I disasembled about 15 pallets 2 foot wide and 14 fot long with solid 1 inch boards all the way across and used them to finish off the siding on the machinery shed,

Then I cleaned the shop, needless to say I'm tuckered out gonna have to work tomorrow to get some rest  :D Unforunatly in the proccess I twisted my back some. Good thing I don't do much at work when I am there  ;D ;D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Weekend_Sawyer

I know just how you feel, After my weekend at our cabin expansion project I am still licking my wounds and counting bruses. Where did all these bruses come from??
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

sawguy21

Not young and bullet proof anymore are we :D :D I keep finding muscles I did not know I had, especially on weekends. I strained my shoulder rasslin with an outboard.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Roxie

The problem is that ya'll are in DENIAL!   ;)
Here's a perfect example (and Weekend Sawyer you'll really appreciate it, because you've met the fiesty little guy):
Cowboy Bob received an invitation to participate in the "oldtimer's" rodeo at Cowtown, New Jersey.  Now, he USED TO ride bareback bronc's....and his retirement from the sport was prompted by a shattered femur that had to be replaced with a metal rod.....but he get's that invitation in his hand and sort of looked all misty eyed, and says, "What do ya think?"....I say, "I think you're insane for even thinking about it."  He says, "But first prize is $5,000 and I think I can do it."  I'll shorten the story to say that he eventually reached the conclusion that it wasn't such a great idea.   :D
Say when

OneWithWood

It's not the aches, pains and strains that this well used body gets that conerns me.  It's how am I going to feel when I am still milling lumber, toting boards, felling trees, bucking logs and such 30 years from now  ::)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Roxie

Perhaps Tom could tell us how that feels?   ;)
Say when

Weekend_Sawyer

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Roxie

Nah!  Tom knows he's one of my favorites!   ;D
Say when

Tom

I hurt like the dickens after the last 3 weeks and all I was doing was running the mill.  I think the secret is to have a bunch of young bucks around to do the labor.   Make if fun for them.  Play Tom Sawyer.     When I get old, I'm going to have to quit some of this nonsense. :D

Can't hurt my feelings with fun stuff like that.  Me and OWW have been sniping at each other for a couple of years now and I haven't lost a pound.  :D :D

OneWithWood

Me and OWW have been sniping at each other for a couple of years now and I haven't lost a pound.  :D :D

I haven't noticed any weight loss either.   It has been fun and the occasional belly laughs have to be good exercise :D :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Texas Ranger

Tom, I got to ask.  I think we are fairly close in age, but, when does the fun start?  I still work, like you, and hurt, like you, and enjoy the heck outa most of what I do.  But DanG, I gotta get some relief!  New thinks hurt, old things ache, hate to look and see what I'll be like when I really get old.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Sprucegum

It's a good thing I can only "relax" at my woodlot on weekends because I lose a pound a day "relaxing" ;D

Those pounds come back real easy when I get back to work, though :(

johncinquo

Those exact words came out of my mouth two weeks ago.  I havent done much climbing work in 9 years.  My buddy calls me up and asks about a tree at his house.  Dont know what I was thinking, but there I was 70 feet up, full harness, ropes, gear on,  straddling a big limb, thinking "I'M WAY TOO OLD FOR THIS"!   It was alright though.  I had an adrenaline buzz for two days that helped ease the sore muscle feeling.    No limbs on me or the house and it all came down nicely. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

pigman

Quote from: johncinquo on May 26, 2005, 02:22:12 PM
thinking "I'M WAY TOO OLD FOR THIS"!    
And only 35. :o  Just wait until you are 60. ::)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Quartlow

Well I for one got two days in at work and by tomorrow at quitting time I should be right as rain, its a tough life holding shovels up since the other guys on the crew can't seem to balance them  ;D ;D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Tom

Quote.......hate to look and see what I'll be like when I really get old.

Don, I'm not going to look in the mirror, maybe I can sneak up on it.

I am finding that I want to spend more time sitting in the woods than walking, and cane pole fishing is very attractive now. :D :D

Quartlow

Wel just as predicted I'm right as rain, amazing. work fascintes me I can watch it for hours  :D :D :D :D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Kirk_Allen

I have a bad habit of working through those aches and pains and I think one day that will catch up with me.  I KNOW I pulled a muscle on my left side bailing hay with my dad but I kept on working through the pain.  Now I cant even sneeze or cough without pain.  Its better this morning but it almost feels like a cracked rib but I know I didnt crack one bailing.  I remember the shooting pain when I through the bail up to the other hand on top of the pile. 

If I sit and take a break I have a tough time getting motivated to get going again so i just keep going.  I know its not the best thing to do but when you have so much to get done it just kills me to sit and do nothing. 

Tom

"Sitting and doing nothing"  can be a learned art.  It comes with age.  You realize, one day, that it all doesn't have to be done 'today'   That's what God made tomorrow for.   :)

That' s what a man works hard for, is to be able to sit down.  If you don't harvest all the fruits of your labors,  you die tired.  ..........and they put you in the ground right next to the town drunk anyway. :D

Patty

Those are wise words Tom, but I seem to be more like Kirk. Git er done!  :D

Some day it will all catch up with me I'm sure, and hopefully on that day I'll be able to look around and say, OK, the work is all done!  :)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Swede

Most peole knowing me for a long time tells me I´ve loosed weight. Some worry about my health, others just want an advice.

My answer: Buy a sawmill! It hurts a lot but it works!  :D

There is one thing hurting more than sawing, pulling and stacking. Usally I  have no help.

Sitting!
One full day in the office ruins my back for a week, down where it soon gets another name ;)

But it´s too long since I went fishing............ ::) Tooooooooooooo long!

Swede.

Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

sawguy21

I hear you Swede.  Loud and clear. The fishing rod gets way too little use.  Tom that was priceless :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

maple flats

And here I thought I was the only one who ached after a hard day's work, usually the next morn. I find that if I just start again it soon works out and I limber up again. Again I ache the next day and on and on it goes. I figure if I didn't ache I must have not worked hard enough the day before. I do however have fewer 14-16 hr days as I get older. Like today, I fertilized 32 rows of bluuberries and might of been able to finish, but I quit leaving 22 rows for tomorrow. After that I will mount the mower and start mowing the fields, which I do 2-3 x a yr, just to keep the brush from taking hold.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Swede

maple flats;
I know all about "next morning" and how to face it but do better now than when I started my milling carieer. ;) Coming home the 2:rd evening  my arms was so long that I could pick blueberries without bend my back! ;D

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Furby

Quote from: Tom on May 28, 2005, 09:53:40 AM
"Sitting and doing nothing" can be a learned art. It comes with age. You realize, one day, that it all doesn't have to be done 'today' That's what God made tomorrow for. :)

Yup!
Spent 8 hours doing nothing but eating and feeding the campfire Sunday!
Why ???
Why not! ???
;D ;D ;D

Thank You Sponsors!