iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I've had it with local dealer

Started by bowlofjokes, February 08, 2008, 10:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowlofjokes

I love to keep my money in my own town, but this guy has just lost me.
I'm just a regular home owner trying to be self sufficient. When I went to buy another chain today it was $20 and change when just 2 months ago it was $15 and change. Same exact chain. I don't want to talk about the tractor this past fall.
SO...I haven't been on for awhile
I am still trying to find a reliable hook up for full log delivery. I have been "scavenging" and all but killing my saw. (homelite ranger; good 1st timers). All I want to do is butt the ends (correct terminology?), so I can then split and season.
This Homelite 16in is just not the workhorse for the job yet has survived big saw duty.
I forgot my question. I think what I want/need is a 18-20 inch that will tear through and not bog down.
I like to split, not chainsaw...   

beenthere

Stihl MS361 is your answer... :) :)

More time splitting, less time bucking into lengths.  ;D 8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

COLD_IRON

Well the 361 is a fantastic saw (I have one and love it) and would probably do everything you could ever want - but here are some other options you can look at too -

Stihl MS 260 - long lasting, tested, venerable design
Stihl MS 310 - not a "pro" saw but will work well if maintained, good deal for the money
Dolmar 5100 - Hot rod at a nice price
Husqvarna 346XP - Excellent small saw - good for limbing etc.
Husqvarna 357XP - Similar performance to the MS 361
MS 361 FS 80 FS130

Wrap Handles Long Bars and Skip Chain!

sawguy21

Don't be too hard on that dealer, we are getting clobbered on chain pricing from the distributor. The demand from Asia is driving up the price of steel.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Cut4fun

I gave up on dealers for chain too. I have been buying Stihl and Oregon chains online now shipped to my door.
Something like this 100 drive links 3/8 063 RSLK, RS, LG, LGX for $20 a piece, get 3 at a time shipped for $5.

Al_Smith

In all fairness usually a small dealer can not sell as cheaply as a large distributer.Just the way it is.

If you are going to buy Stihl branded chain you are likely to pay double the price of Oregon ,Carlton etc .It's good chain ,now weather it's worth twice the price is everybodies own opinion.

I usually buy my chains from Baileys or one other large supplier that is not a sponser here.

beenthere

I buy my supplies from my local dealer, as I WANT him to stay in business....just in case I have a problem with my Stihl equipment (some day, it may happen.. ::) ::) ). One reason I asked him to order the Stihl logrite cant hook for me, was to give him more business.  :)

Things I buy online, are things I cannot buy locally.

Don't mean to put down what anyone has said about where they buy, as all are free to do what they feel best for them. Just the way I am.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

Quote from: beenthere on February 09, 2008, 02:06:23 PM
I buy my supplies from my local dealer, as I WANT him to stay in business....just in case I have a problem with my Stihl

..and that is well and good.I drive right by one dealer on my way to the next.The first guy is more interested in selling  new saws rather than parts. Sort em out, let the good ones stay and the others find another line of business.

For what it is worth,you can't even buy Stihl parts over the internet according to Stihl's policy regarding franchising.There are ways of course but I won't get into it on the internet. ;)

SwampDonkey

Saw chain here has been $20 for 20 years or more. What have I been missing out on?  ;)

I bet if I ordered 3 chains they would be $15 a piece and $20 shipping. I most likely cannot buy from a Canadian online site.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

oldsaw

I had a bad dealer too.  Was quoted everything from 40 cents to 70 cents per link for regular Stihl chisel chain.  Depended on the kid behind the counter.  Didn't trust them to pin the chain, so I asked them what it would cost just to buy the chain and two links, but they said they wouldn't sell it that way.  Told them "no offense, but I don't trust you to make the chain."

Fortunately, I got a new "good" dealer even closer.  Haven't bought much from them yet, but will.  Got to keep the good one around.  The other good one is 15 miles away.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Woodcarver

I just bought two 18 inch chains for my Husky 353 from my local dealer. $28.00 for the pair.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

peter nap

I get annoyed with some of the dealers too. The fuss about walmart or the internet putting them out of business....but....when you need something, the keepers get sorted out real quick.

I decided to buy the Dolmar 9010 I've been having wet dreams about. There are two dealers within 20 miles of me and one about a hundred miles away where the farm is. I bought my 6400 from the one at the farm BTW.

Anyway, I called all three for a price. I really do like to support local companies.
Dealer #1 and closest to me....You have to talk to (Name) and he's busy now. I'll get him to call you.

Dealer #2 and next closest. I don't know what it will cost, I'll have to check and call you back.

Dealer #3 a hundred miles away. I'll have to check, can I call you in 5 minutes or do you want to hold on. I said "call me back".

Dealer #3 called in less than 5 minutes and gave me a super price.
Dealer #1 called 3 hours later to tell me he has to track the rep down. An hour later he called and gave me Mfr suggested retail.
Dealer #2 never did call back.

Why should I support, much less spend close to a thousand bucks, with a local dealer that won't bother to even try to give customer service. Let em go out of business. Just leaves more customers for the businesses that want to have HAPPY customers.

ladylake

Bought a new 044 20 years ago from the local Stihl dealer, after one bar nut fell off and the other was loose on the first use I haven't been back. I just got a 100' roll of Oregon chiesel off Ebay for $169 shipped, around $7 per chain some 16" and some 20"      Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

beenthere

I wouldn't even think about calling a dealer for a price. I would go in and talk to him/her, and deal that way. Maybe just me, but a phone call is without any personal touch.

I treat my dealer as a friend, and I think it has paid off over the years, real well. I've had some dealers that have disappointed me, but for the most part...we get along real well. When we talk, I get a price. I don't dicker any more, or try to get him down. I either accept it, or walk.

Again, just me. Don't mean to imply that is the way anyone else needs to do it. But not surprised that price checking doesn't yield very good results.
south central Wisconsin

sawguy21

beenthere, I like your approach. Unless it is one of our regular customers phoning for a price to put on a purchase order, the caller gets MSRP. My time is too valuable to waste it playing games on the phone. If he/she wants to make the effort to come in, I will do the best I can but the price has to be fair to both sides.

peter nap

QuoteMy time is too valuable to waste it playing games on the phone.

Oh really! Just how is asking for their price, playing games Sawguy. I bought a saw....the second one in a month. Paid for it over the phone when I ordered it.
Lets see, how much is Diesel today....and I'm supposed to jump in the truck and drive around shaking hands and kissing babies because the Dealers are too busy to answer the phone?

Now I don't make my living sawing so I don't order pallets of them....I do have to order lumber today though. About 15,000.00 worth. I'll do it the same way I always do. On the phone!

When I'm pricing it out this morning, if one of my suppliers wants to give me a snotty answer like "My time is too valuable to waste it playing games on the phone" It won't hurt my feelings at all. Why won't it hurt my feelings? Because there are a hell of a lot of them out there that both want and need my business!

olyman

;D ;D ;D yup--i have to drive at least 30 miles,and more, to any of the stihl dealers around. as you say, diesel price--and the close one aint a "dealer" he sells only--at full retail

SwampDonkey

I usually just go in to the dealer. I have one for my Husky Chain saw I go to and one for my Stihl brush saws. And a 3rd guy for Stihl if I'm way over in another corner of the county. There is only one Stihl dealer I'm not so fond of because he won't order parts when asked 3 times.  It's like if it ain't on the shelf, then you aren't going to get it. ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 11, 2008, 08:53:45 AM
  It's like if it ain't on the shelf, then you aren't going to get it. ::)
We have one exactly like that,inherited the business from his father.The old boy attempted to tell me on many occasions that parts are no longer available.I drive down the road about 15 miles and get them ordered from the second  dealer.Needless to say I no longer patronize the first dealer any longer after putting up with that  nonsense for years.

Although ,talking about the first dealer,whom I really don't dislike.Some 5 or 6 years ago I drug into his shop a Super 44A Mac saw to get a new chain,24" .404.He rolled me up a chain ,charged me 42 bucks then told me what a piece of junk the old Mac was.In his next breath he told of winning 49 out of 50 feature races in the early 60's running go-karts using a modified version of that engine. :D

SwampDonkey

The guy I'm thinking of runs a hardware store. So, he has the mentality of a hardware store owner. Not the mentality of a chainsaw shop that knows the guy coming in is looking to get service so he can go back to the woods to make a living that same day. Most of us in this racket have to produce to earn money, we aren't on a salary to fall back on for a day's pay.

gharlan

I have been building homes in my area for over 25 years. Doing that I have built a great many relationships with many a supplier or sub contractor. I value those relationships as they make life so much easier and I know I am treated fairly. Those relationships are not automatic however. They are built over time and the dealer has to make an effort to nurture that relationship. You never know who will walk through you door and become a valued client. If I am treated poorly on my visits I usually keep looking. So a dealer who does not make a good effort for everyone is not building a long term client base.  I tend to think that someone like stihl having exclusive dealers tends to nurture bad dealers.

I do not live in chainsaw country so here it is all about lawn mowers with saws as a side. I personally think my local stihl dealer is a rapist. Full price for everything ,but wait he will have to order it so that must include a handling fee to do so. This type of relationship is what drives me to buy on the net. prices are better, its delivered to my door saving me two trips to the dealer, and I do not leave upset at being treated so poorly.

I shopped for a saw locally last spring. went to every dealer in town and saw only small homeowner saws. They stihl dealer did not even bother to walk over and say hello while we were there. I bought a husky on the net. Got a great deal compared to local with some bonus extra chains, no shipping or sales tax. I must say I felt very good about the experience vs the local dealers.   Gary

Radar67

9 times out of 10 I'm going to call to check price and whether or not what I'm looking for is in stock. Unless I happen to be going by a place, it is usually an hour and a half of my time round trip to go pick something up. It's not worth a wasted trip with the price of gas, plus, my time is to valuable to squander.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

sawguy21

Quote from: peter nap on February 11, 2008, 03:04:51 AM
QuoteMy time is too valuable to waste it playing games on the phone.

Oh really! Just how is asking for their price, playing games Sawguy.

When I'm pricing it out this morning, if one of my suppliers wants to give me a snotty answer like "My time is too valuable to waste it playing games on the phone" It won't hurt my feelings at all. Why won't it hurt my feelings? Because there are a hell of a lot of them out there that both want and need my business!
I do not mind having the prospective customer asking about price and availability, that is what the phone is for. However, I do have a problem with the individual who wants to grind price without even making the effort to get off his sofa and come in to see what we have to offer. I recently had one who told me he was going to keep phoning around to find the lowest price. Fine, see ya later. ::) I concentrate my energy on the customer who has invested time, effort and gas to come into the store and deal with me on a personal basis.

jackpine

I have a Husky dealer 2 miles from my house but went to one 23 miles away because my local dealer left the impression he didn't care if he waited on me or not. Sometimes would not come out of the back room to even see who was in the showroom 10 minutes after the bell announced someone was there. It has worked out well for me tho because my current dealer is also a sawing customer now, I saw at least 5 days a year for him and I get excellent saw service :)

Corley5

I buy and have my saws serviced from a local dealer and get great deals and service on them.  He knows I buy most of my supplies from Bailey's because of the cost difference.  I've told him  :)  He used to work in the woods and still does a cedar job now and then so he knows exactly what it's all about.  I also stock up on chains and bars at shows like the Logging Congress or Sawlex.  There are usually very good deals there  8) 8)  Most dealers I've found won't necessarily give a first time customer a deal.  Returning buyers get the breaks  :) :) 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!