iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Plant based meals

Started by mooleycow, March 16, 2019, 12:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mooleycow

Plant based

I went to a seminar in Ahoski North Carolina last week.  The lecturer was a Dr. Cook.  He is a

local doctor. The seminar and meal was free.  Their was no books or material for sale.  Their were

approximately three hundred people in attendance.  This is not a vegan diet.  This is not a diet of any form.

This is a lifestyle change.  This is whole food meals only.  Quite a change.  Quite a challenge to my

lifestyle.  I am enjoying the change.  A lot of research and studying.  I am keeping a log on my progress.

I have a yearly physical in four weeks and I will be interested in my labs. The event was put on by Vidant

Hospital.  

alan gage

Not really the same but I went vegetarian about 6 years ago. Part of the reason being that I was stuck in a rut food wise and was not being very healthy. Having some relatives who were vegetarian and also good cooks I was well aware that vegetarian food can be delicious but I was happy to find out that it didn't necessarily have to be expensive or difficult to prepare. Unfortunately I've also found out that vegetarian doesn't always equal healthy so you've still got to be careful.

Good luck with your physical!

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

mooleycow

Day seven a tremendous change in energy.  This is the only thing shown to reverse type2

diabetes, cardiac disease, and cancer.  Thankfully I have none of these.  I have arthritis.  These

meals have a lot of protein, carbohydrates, and fiber.  I can only tell people to do your own study

and research.  Their are no side effects.  This is a lifestyle change. 

AZ_builder

So go thru a typical days of meals and snacks, what and how much are you eating.

Wudman

I'm having some of the same arthritis issues and carrying some weight that I don't need.  I looked at a bunch of stuff a few years back and settled on the "TNT diet".  This was a high protein, low carb regime.  I ate a lot of eggs.  I ended up losing about 40 pounds and cut my total cholesterol in half.  I felt better for it.  My wife had some bad effects from it and I ended up stopping.  Weight went back where it was.  She decided to try Weight Watchers Freestyle and I mirrored her on that.  I lost that 40 pounds again and she was not as successful.  Bananas became my go to snack.  Unfortunately, I lost interest once again.  I'm back to where I was on weight.  I need to cut some pounds and need to make the commitment again and stick to it.  Too many miles in a truck and poor eating habits is catching up to me.  I can't get up and down the hills like I used to, and it is causing me problems.  Whatever route you take, sticking with something that works is the biggest hassle......and you need people around you to help as well.  Cheesecake and donuts coming into the house doesn't work. 

Wudman 
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

lxskllr

I used to be vegetarian years ago, but quit out of laziness. It takes a lot more effort to cook interesting vegetarian food than it does a hunk of meat. Can't say I felt any better aside from being considerably younger. I would like to reduce my meat intake for a few reasons, with health being on the list, but not at the top.

mooleycow

Breakfast: Oatmeal, orange, apple, banana, prunes, or add peach, plum, grapes and maple syrup.

Lunch: (very large bowl) romaine lettuce, spinach, bell pepper, strawberries, apple, sprouts, leeks,

tomato, flax seed, English walnuts, and maple syrup.

Dinner: beans(crock pot, no canned food) asparagus, or broccoli, cabbage, squash, potato(no salt, no

butter) or sweet potato, snow peas(can use frozen vegetables) leeks.

Desert: fudge brownie(no sugar cocoa) dates, whole wheat(no sugar muffins) pecans, almonds, dates.

Meals change to different meals in cookbook.

Look at book How Not To Die cookbook.(amazon) Forkoverknife.com 

Not a diet.  A lifestyle change.  Research and study.  Three kinds of people: Dead, Unhealthy, and

Healthy.  We make choices everyday(some good, some bad).

mooleycow

Oh yes ! Lots of water. No milk, no dairy products, no sugar drinks.

PA_Walnut

Following this. I have hypertension, so need a change too. Plant-based is my determined method. (once I "get around to it") :(
I have a friend who lost 115 pounds and went from a bp of something like 170/110 to 85/60...something like that.

My time is here.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Wudman

The biggest key to the whole health issue is activity.  When I worked full time on the farm, I stayed at 155 pounds, was strong as an ox, and probably ate 10,000 calories per day......but that was also moving 17 hours a day.  My Dad is 78 years old, still farming, and tough as whet leather.  He checks in about 150 pounds now.  My problem is that I spend too much time in the seat of a pickup.  I can tell how far I drove that day by the number of fast food bags in my floorboard.  I know I can drop the weight....done it numerous times before.  I just need to quit reverting to the same bad habits.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Hilltop366

I'v lost about 20 lbs over the last year so far, started @ 208 and being 5' 6" it was a bit much.

(I thought I was under 200 until we got a new scale)

I lost weight 6 years ago (was down to 175 on the old scale) by mostly riding a bike 3 or 4 times a week but as the winter came around I stopped riding and some of the weight came back on because I was still eating like I was riding a bike, in the spring I fell on a drywall hawk and cracked some ribs one thing lead to another and I have not ridden the bike much since and gained a few more pounds every year since. 

This time around I looked back and thought that the only way that I will be able to loose some weight and keep it off was to recognize my limitations as far as adding extra exercise or severely restricting my food intake and come up with a plan that is sustainable for me.

So here is what I have been doing...... 

"Don't eat so much"

I Avoid or limit eating food that is high in fat and added sugar and white carbs, high sugar foods make you feel hungry sooner and the more sugar and fat there is in the food the more I will over eat, this eliminates most fast food too.

I decreased my meat to vegetable ratio (eat more vegetable than meat) this adds more fibre, apparently food high in fibre digest slower so you don't feel hungry so soon and your body does not absorb as many of the available calories from a higher fibre food.

I make sure I can still see my plate after I put the food on it. If we are eating food that I would usually over eat I put even less on my plate so I can go back for seconds with out over doing it.

Eat food that I can recognize as food. Meat, eggs, vegetables, fruit, nuts...... very little pre made or processed food.

Finally after 30 years of being together I convinced my wife that we do not need sweets in the house all the time, a once in a while (every few weeks) treat is fine because if it is in the house I'll eat them.

So far this has been working for me, only time will tell how it works in the long run but eating sensible portions of sensible food seems to be doing the trick. 

mooleycow

The baby boomers will be the first generation to out live their children.  Babies are being born with

high cholesterol levels.  More children have diabetes.   More larger caskets are being manufactured than ever before.

False 1. You get your protein from meat.
False 2. Sugar causes diabetes.
False 3. Drink milk to get calcium for stronger bones.
False 4. Eat chicken instead of beef or pork(do you want to be hung or shot?)

This is a lifestyle choice.  This is not a back and forth diet.  Their is more at stake here than losing

weight.  Whole food plant based meals.  If it comes out of a plant do not eat it, if it comes from a plant

eat it.

sawguy21

I eat what I like, meat, vegetables, fruit but in moderation. I stay away from fast food as much as possible, a homemade burger is MUCH better than Wendy's, but sometimes it's unavoidable on the road. That plus regular exercise IMHO is the ticket to healthy living.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Stoneyacrefarm

Sawguy. 
I agree with your analogy totally. 
I eat a lot of red meat. Chicken , pork and fish. 
All in moderation. 
Have vegetables and potatoes for dinner. 
Almost never eat fast food. 
At least 1 glass of milk a day. 
I'm 55. 5'10" and weigh 185. 
Almost never stop working. 
So far it works for me. 
Moderation is the key in my case as well. 
Good luck to everyone in whatever works for them. 
Work hard. Be rewarded.

ponderosae

Quote from: alan gage on March 16, 2019, 05:27:29 PM
Unfortunately I've also found out that vegetarian doesn't always equal healthy so you've still got to be careful.
Yeah, besides nutritional considerations, all of the plant foods (including fruit, vegetables, grains, nuts and spices—whether dried, frozen or otherwise) happen to cause 50% of foodborne illnesses, because they are often eaten raw or uncooked (I distinguish between raw and uncooked, because dried or frozen food may be heat treated before packaging, but it is still uncooked out of the package—consider common pathogens walking the earth, including listeria in the water, hepatitis in frozen strawberries and dried tomatoes, or salmonella in peanut butter—read the warning labels on packaging, although they don't say a whole lot, or check out food safety news, and the public health agencies for reference). It's riskier to eat uncooked plant stuff for the oldest or youngest folks in general, but anyone is susceptible to a lifelong diesease like toxoplasmosis, which affects about half the world's population, by coincidence. One of the most deadly outbreaks in US history involved an innocent little slice of fruit (34 people died of listeriosis from eating raw canteloupe, in modern times, and they say that modernity might actually increase the rate of food poisoning), while raw lettuce puts others in the hospital on a regular basis.

The fact is, plant food is always soiled, by virtue of how it is grown and processed, where rinsing it doesn't work half the time (and sometimes it's also adulterated—I try not to eat imported spices, for one). I only eat vegetarian food, though, and cook everything that I eat too: 'mmm, steamed soggy lettuce'. How stupid is that? Well, anthropologists have a theory that humans developed larger brains than great apes because they cooked everything. But these days it's like 'mmm, there's fresh organic dirt in that, it must be healthy'! Contrast this with the fact that "organic" is what distinguishes soil from sand, and requires strict regulations and permits for importing soil (when organic really means "invasive" and "pathogenic", other than being free of pesticides, supposedly, cooking may help reduce those too).

That's just my impression; I mean, more power to y'all if you can eat dirt... and I'm not getting into the risks of eating animal products, because those are more well known. But as far as foodborne illnesses go, they kill more people who are not vegetarian anyway, yet major problems like organ failure can occur either way, since food safety is not taken seriously enough (until after the umpteenth recall, and then everyone else is like 'the dirt has been cleansed, let's eat it again')! Well, once again, there was a major melon outbreak (for the sixth time in recent history, with around 700 cases between them, but they say it's over now and you should eat more, like they said the time before)! Go figure, it's about 50/50 for the statistics of people getting sick from eating contaminated plants or animals each year.

Sounds fine, let's dine. Because they aren't necessarily contaminated, you see, the dirt or dung occurs there naturally, and isn't always decontaminated, with-or-without proper cooking, basically. Who knew? Well, Dr. Cook should know (ya think)... I don't think Doctor Suess knew much about it (for promoting the green eggs and all, since cooking doesn't kill mycotoxins, and those are fed to pigs more often than people). Okay, so the feed has to be stored properly also, but I wouldn't count on it. Ironically, here's the 50/50 tie breaker: you can get plant-based poisoning from eating cooked meat (bon appetit).

Thank You Sponsors!