iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hiring a crew

Started by CX3, May 17, 2018, 10:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CX3

I was considering approaching a few guys to try and hire them. They work for another logger around here.  Is this kind of unethical in a way or is it just basic business?
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

BargeMonkey

Depends if you get along with the other logger 🤣 I had a guy who would jump back between me and another logger, we would joke who employed him this week. Good help is getting tougher to find, all depends if they are looking to leave. 

Southside

Do you think he will pass up on a nice, easy, profitable, job, just to treat you ethically?  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Skeans1

It's not that uncommon out here for the guys to jump around after a while, there's some guys that have been on a crew 30 years but a crew of Vets isn't hardly around anymore. See if you can get a vet and then a green horn to learn under the vet might be a good way to go as well.

mike_belben

Poaching is legal and often necessary in a capitalist society.  Without employers competing for labor via competitive pay offers,  wages would never rise and inflation would drown us all. 
Praise The Lord

nativewolf

Quote from: mike_belben on May 17, 2018, 11:13:40 PM
Poaching is legal and often necessary in a capitalist society.  Without employers competing for labor via competitive pay offers,  wages would never rise and inflation would drown us all.
Nailed it
Liking Walnut

TKehl

First, I try to avoid employees...   ;)

My thoughts though are if you hire one or two from a big crew, no big deal.  If you hire most of a small crew away I'd be ****ed!

Remember 2 things.
1.  Turnabout is fair play.
2.  Try not to burn bridges.  There may be times it makes sense to sub to this other guy or work together on a project.  Don't have to be buddies to work together, but try not to make an enemy.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

CX3

I realize what goes around comes around. And completely understand the concept behind a burning bridge.

Thanks for the advice.
You Better Believe It!

Skeans1

What kind of crew are you trying to put together?

luvmexfood

You might try posting job openings with your state employment commission. Then get word out through the "grapevine" that you are hiring. Make sure it gets to them. Then if they apply it doesn't look like you are poaching employees. Course you may get some applications that are undesirable but the state may weed them out for you.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

CX3

I would like to have a couple guys  that could hand cut and run the skidder without tearing it in two. I have been in business 12 years and had about 35 guys try out. I can think of 2 that I would like to have back. One went to jail the other moved lol

Like they always say..

Good help is hard to find
You Better Believe It!

Skeans1

Ok an operator is a dime a dozen so why not stay to falling yourself? It's my model.

Southside

Honestly - good luck to you, labor is harder than ever to find.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

CX3

Help is not a dime a dozen around here. Unless you want to play video games all day there seems to be several doing that
You Better Believe It!

coxy

help is a dime a dozen every where you go as long as you pay them your wage and there's to  :D

Thank You Sponsors!