iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TK guide roller grease fitting

Started by TGS, February 03, 2012, 11:30:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TGS

Someone who has added a grease fitting  to a TK mill please show me a picture or where you put it. Lost my bearings this morning and want to add a fitting while I have the guide off. Thanks.

Martin

Kcwoodbutcher

Don't know which mill you have but TK should sell a retrofit.  I know Cooks sells the bolt with the zerk fitting in it and probably the bearings. The fitting is in the end of the bolt that holds the bearings on. The bolt is drilled out through the center with another hole drilled perpendicular to the main hole to allow the grease into the bearing. The bearings have to be modified with a slot on the inner collar to allow the grease to enter the bearing. I made my own and it's not difficult.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

redbeard

Ladylake drilled his out I will let him explain his modification. I rotate my drive side bearing to idle side because the idle side wears the quickest. If your bearing is spent you dont want any movement even though you plan to grease it. Might want to get a new one and drill it.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

TGS

Yeah they have a new assembly with a factory zerk but it's several hundred dollars as it comes with a new guide wheel. My guide is still in good shape so I only ordered the bearing. I saw lots of pine and use detergent in my water. I hit the bearing with penetrating oil every day but it apparently isn't enough.

eastberkshirecustoms

This is not for a TK, but should give you an idea what needs to be done.

Really not that difficult to build, easier with a lathe, but doable with hand tools also.
The exit hole and slot should be located near the center line of the two bearings. You really should have shielded bearings and not sealed. This will allow the new grease in and push the old grease and muck out without blowing a seal.

ladylake

I drilled about a hole in the seal on the front side, a little bigger than 1/16 and grease it with a needle nose grease gun.  When running water every day, in the winter with diesel every 2nd or 3rd day, works good as I've had bearings last over 3 years doing a lot of sawing.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!