iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

setter setup

Started by coastlogger, February 04, 2012, 09:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastlogger

I may be the only one who didnt know this BUT it makes one heckuva difference exactly how you se your band teeth. I have been single tooth setting with a Norwood setter I bought used years ago.I went with the instructions in the manual that said push on middle of tooth. To do this on this setter band protrudes from clamp quite a lot. The whole tooth gets bent over in fact you could even see by the shiny spots on blade body that even a bit of the body was being set. Never bothered too much about it till yesterday, did some reading on FF, reread the Suffolk Machinery stuff,pored thru my pile of old bands, looked at my new WM bands and goodness gracious etc the light went on. Set the tip dummy.Revamped a homemade setter Id found somewhere that clamps whole body of blade and pushes on the blade tip,did my current band,ran it thru sharpener and tried a couple of cuts. WAY better.
Much better feed speed,even tho I think I overset in my zeal to try this new to me idea. 32 thou. Should be even better at mid 20s where I normally riun. Band actually LOOKS sharper with tip bent like it should be(I think)
clgr

Chuck White

Sometimes the instructions don't come through real clear after only reading them once.

Sometimes two or three times and you've got it.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

hamish

Yeah, i hear ya, the should have said in the middle of the tip.  Its nice seeing a square ground tooth relative to the set.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

bandmiller2

The tips of the teeth are harder too and will hold a set better.Anyone with a bandmill or especially anyone planning to build one should request the booklet from Suffolk [timberwolf bands] theirs alot of info, I built my bandmill based on that information. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!