iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'll try my luck here ......

Started by TexasTimbers, April 02, 2005, 03:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

Greetings, logger and forestry types:

I asked a question on the Timber Framing forum that I now believe I asked on the wrong forum. In hindsight it's a question more suited for this forum I suspect. The only answer I got was more questions to my questions (at least someone tried!), and although they were valid questions probably designed to make me think it through, I have, and I still don't have the answers. So, hoping you guys can come through for me, I'll paste the question here and hope someone out there will take a stab at it. Domo.
Here's my posed on the TF forum question:

I searched through my TFing boks for this answer and can't find it.
Soon my soil will be dry enough, long enough, to do my flat work. Slab for the shop, pier and beams for the TF house.
From what I've read it's time, nearly past time to cut my trees for beams. Loblolly if it makes a difference in the answer. Thing is, I can't mill the trees for another 2-3 weeks. Then, it will be another 8-12 weeks before I can start whittling out the joints in the shop. Here's my 3 options as I see them:
1) Cut now and let the logs lay until I can mill.
2) Let them stand and cut them only when I can mill
3) Wait to cut and mill them until just before I'm ready to dress them into beams and install them?
If there's a fourth option I'm open to that also. I know there must be only one "best approach" to this but I don't know what it is.
Input greatly appreciated. KJ

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

DanG

Go with the fourth option, Kev. ;D ;D

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D :D

You'd be best off to get the trees down and mill them yesterday, IMHO.  The problem with working with freshly sawn SYP is the sap. If they have a little time to dry after sawing, it won't be so bad.  If they're too fresh, you'll grab one and can't let go. :o :D

Your #1 best solution of all is to get the beams into a kiln to set the pitch.  I worry that you're gonna be plagued with sap running down your walls if you don't.  The kiln will get rid of the bugs in it, too.  That's why the building codes all call for kiln dried SYP.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

As far as the timber-framing answer, I think that you will get your best answer from Jim Rogers and his bunch.  Note that this whole place is just one big Forum and we move about in the topics like one would  move about in Buffet restaurant.

As far as the saw milling part of it is concerned, I would sawmill as soon as the tree was clipped from the stump.  Within a week to three, the log will be attacked by borers and bark beetles. You can slab them off,but, why take the chance.  If you can't mill the logs right away, sprinkle them with water constantly to prevent there drying out and blue staining.  It will also help the beetle infestation.  The best way to preserve them until you can saw them is to completely submerge them in a pond.

Loblolly will be less prone to dripping sap than Long Leaf or Slash but it may still be a problem.  I still like to sawmill fresh logs, regardless of the "mess". :D

Sawyerfortyish

Get em cut and milled and sticker them to dry if you don't have a kiln to dry. If you wait to long in the spring the humid air will mold the beams if you don't have good air flow to dry them. When you say whittling out the joints I take it this is a mortise and tennion joint. The dryer the beam the better off you are.

TexasTimbers

Thanks for the input guys. I'm not going to drop them until I can mill them.  The best option after that I suppose is to build a kiln, since I'm going to build one anyway, might as well move the schedule up.
I don't know if a solar kiln will get hot enough to cook the bugs out, but I should be able to find that out easy enough with a little snooping. If not I'll build a DH since I want one anyway.
The reality is that this project is going to take longer than I thought. I can accept that as I don't want to end up with a bona-fide wretched mess.
Thanks for the info. KJ.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Thank You Sponsors!