iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WRC lumber pics

Started by Percy, June 25, 2016, 11:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percy

Thanks to the Canuckistanian dollar being so low compared to the US dollar, everything in Canada is on sale. Makes for busy Percy. My sons Warrens  new half built Specialty sawmill(pics to come) has no working edger yet, so Daddy's old WM edger come to the rescue. His new to him,boglie band saw cuts flitches up to 6 feet wide. Has built in edger saw(splits flitch). Some of the pieces I edged were still too wide to efficiently process so the crew and I did alot of skilsawing >:( >:( not much fun but had to get the product out. WRC is a beauticful wood and we were targeting clears outta high dollar logs. Margins are skinny but 10% of 50,000.00 is much more than 10% of 10,000.00 so we go for the high end stuff. THis is pics of approximately 12,000 bdft of clear lumber...its different than the Eastern red cedar I seen in another thread here but similar as well. NOw that the project is complete< I have the "cedar snotts" real bad... ;D ;D

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

sawguy21

I love the sight and smell of fresh cut cedar but the dust can be irritating. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Bruno of NH

That's some nice looking lumber !
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Knute

I sure wish WRC grew here in Wisconsin. We used it for board and bat siding on our house back in 1972 and still have it. When the lumber arrived it was fresh and a  little water would show around the nail when driven. I loved the smell.

Chuck White

Quote from: Knute on June 25, 2016, 09:03:10 PM
I sure wish WRC grew here in Wisconsin. We used it for board and bat siding on our house back in 1972 and still have it. When the lumber arrived it was fresh and a  little water would show around the nail when driven. I loved the smell. 

I wish any "RED" cedar grew here.

There's some ERC in the Southern part of the state, but not much, and not very big!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Percy

Quote from: Chuck White on June 26, 2016, 11:39:14 AM

There's some ERC in the Southern part of the state, but not much, and not very big!
Thanks for the comments guys. WRC is a nice wood, the best logs are found in the coastal climate. THere is interior WRC but the farther east you go, the more it is likely to have rot in anything over 15 inches diameter. We are lucky to have it here. on the other side of the coin, I have never cut an oak log in 20 years of milling, and only one soft maple from a tree that came from downtown main street. Had more metal in it than an Ozzy Osbourne concert. Birch , Alder, and Cottonwood(poplar) are the main hardwoods up here and only a small percentage compared to softwoods.

pine

Nice clear boards.  Pretty good price on stuff of that quality.

mesquite buckeye

Plenty in MO. They think it is junk there. ??? ??? ??? :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mesquite buckeye

Sorry Chuck White and Knute. Messed up the quote thing. :-[

Oh well. :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Solomon

I have to comment, That is the nicest and most well organized operation I've ever seen.
And the most beutiful pile of any type of ceder I have ever seen.
All I can say is   "WOW"!!!!     Awsome work you good folks are doing. :) 8) :) 8) :P  :P
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Czech_Made

Nice pictures of great operation, thanks for sharing, Percy.

Percy

Thanks for the comments! Just to be clear and honest, I dont take alot of pictures when the place looks like a dogs breakfast...which is more often than I care to admit...  ;D ;D

Solomon

It's hard being one man !
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

DRB

Nice lumber, clear WRC is tough to find anymore, it looks like you have a nice niche market there.   Very organized storage.
Eastern Red Cedar is a Juniper not even in the same family as Western Red Cedar. Pretty but totally different then any of the true cedars.

deepsouth.us

That's an impressive a pile of WRC lumber. Congrats on dialing in your market there.

Anything special a man should know about sawing WRC? I have a mobile job tomorrow where I'll be sawing WRC logs that are left over from a log home build. I saw plenty of ERC, but WRC logs don't often find their way to Mississippi. I don't reckon I've ever laid eyes on one.
Timberking 2000

Percy

Quote from: deepsouth.us on June 29, 2016, 07:23:06 AM
That's an impressive a pile of WRC lumber. Congrats on dialing in your market there.

Anything special a man should know about sawing WRC? I have a mobile job tomorrow where I'll be sawing WRC logs that are left over from a log home build. I saw plenty of ERC, but WRC logs don't often find their way to Mississippi. I don't reckon I've ever laid eyes on one.
Its fairly nice cutting wood. The wider the cut, the more set you need. The wood is fairly stable and doesnt move much when cutting. Avoid the pith as there are surprize rotspots more than occasionally. The blades get dull a little quicker than cutting spruce but slowing feed rate with a duller blade keeps cut straight. The dust smells nice and for the most part, wont bother you on occasional cuts but over the years, an allergy can happen as it did with me. REactions are major runny nose/sneezing and can cause serious wheezing/coughing/shortness of breath. Best to wear a mask if it is hot dry and dusty when you cut. When its raining here, I cut without reaction.

Thank You Sponsors!