iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Harvest from the woods other than from logs.

Started by Joe Hillmann, April 04, 2015, 12:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Hillmann

What products can you harvest from the woods/forest (and maybe sell) that aren't logs?  Here is a list of ones that I know of but would like others suggestions.

Firewood.
Maple syrup.
Mushrooms.
Ginseng.
Balsam boughs.(for Christmas wreaths)
Christmas trees.
Vines (for wreaths)
Pine straw (I think this is more popular in the south with SYP)
Seeds(every so often the DNR buys seeds for reforestation efforts)
Pine cones(for decoration)
Wild Berries & Fruit

What else can you harvest from the woods and maybe make a few bucks on?

beenthere

The important part of this "harvest and sell" is the "sell" part and return on your investment. 

Just because it is out there in the forest, doesn't mean one can spend the time and get someone to buy what is collected.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

BradMarks

There is a market for ferns - in season - out here.

Joe Hillmann

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: beenthere on April 04, 2015, 12:56:28 PM
The important part of this "harvest and sell" is the "sell" part and return on your investment. 

Just because it is out there in the forest, doesn't mean one can spend the time and get someone to buy what is collected.

That is true.  But how much return you need to get on your investment depends on how you view it.  If you see it as an 8 hour a day 5 days a week job that has to pay all your bills you may have a hard time with it.  If you view it as recreation that gives you a reason to get out in nature and any return above cost is helpful.

That is how most people around here view maple syrup.  A pint is worth about $7 but is probably 1/2 an hours worth of collecting, an hours or more worth of boiling, 10 minutes for jaring and at least 1/2 hour of cutting firewood.  So for over 2 hours work you end up with $7.  But still many people in this area do it and make quite a bit of money off it.

thecfarm

I've seen some arbors made from real small trees.
Some of the Sothern guys rent thier land out too hunters.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

whiskers

Wild honey and bees. Dad robbed bee trees and hived bees though I don't recall that he ever sold any bees or honey. Wild bees were more aggressive and now the Africanized bee has about ended any gathering ...
He let me climb and saw the limb where a swarm had settled then lower the swarm onto an old army poncho. He'd cover them with another poncho find the queen and hive the swarm. He never seemed bothered by bee stings. I never developed a fondness for the little buggers... 
many irons in the fire.........

BaldBob

Quote from: Joe Hillmann on April 04, 2015, 02:22:28 PM
Quote from: BradMarks on April 04, 2015, 01:54:54 PM
There is a market for ferns - in season - out here.

Selling to greenhouses?
Mostly selling to florists for use in floral arrangements.

BaldBob

When I managed a large Industrial tree farm, we got income from many of the sources already mentioned, plus grazing fees from ranchers, rent from communication sites (cell phone towers, microwave relay sites, radio towers,etc.), mineral exploration rights (they never found enough coal, oil or gas to lease for extraction), camping fees to use improved camp grounds, and road use fees to use some of our roads. Some large land owners where I now live have recently started charging access fees to enter their land.  I believe Hancock is charging several hundred dollars per vehicle per year for access (for hunting,fishing,hiking,etc.) to some of their tree farms.

Southside

We run out cattle in our wooded acres.  Thin it to about a 60' X 60' or so grid, frost seed clover, alfalfa, and grasses into the disturbed soil around February, brush hog it for a year or two to knock the weeds and regeneration back so the forage can get a good foothold and then it produces annual income for us in addition to growing more timber. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Mark Wentzell

Balsam fir sap used to be collected for use in preparing microscope slides, I think synthetics are used mostly now.

I don't know if it grows down your way but there is big demand for ground hemlock, specifically for the chemical taxol which is used in chemotherapy drugs. There's issues with over harvesting and theft though.

Fresh air and quiet might be the most valuable product. People spend millions a year to use those.  :)

thecfarm

Ground hemlock,I have not heard that word since my Father passed away. We frought that stuff here in where the low bush blueberries use to be. I finally got rid of it,the blueberries too. Hard to have both. I mow the field quite often,but try to pull up the small ones. Mow it off,it just keeps a coming.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

Photographs
Turpentine/Pine Sap
Furs
Wild Game
Stress Relief
Holly for Christmas wreaths
Mistletoe for Christmas decorations
Nuts (Walnuts, Hickories, etc)
Spanish Moss/Sphagnum for floral arrangements
Grape vines for wreaths and such

I'd rethink wild honey and bees in N. America unless conditions are different where you live than here. While common when I was a kids bees very seldom survive the winters now and I understand USDA is interested in reports of wild hives that do survive/over winter to help research their additional hardiness and resistance to mites and diseases.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

clearcut

A long time ago, the USFS published:

Margaret G. Thomas and David R. Schumann. 1993. Income Opportunities in Special Forest Products--Self-Help Suggestions for Rural Entrepreneurs. Agriculture Information Bulletin AIB–666, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Washington, DC

Available at:

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/usda/agib666/agib666.htm

While most of the contact information is dated, it does suggest some non-timber products, along with techniques for harvesting and processing.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

Rick Alger

ashes

There are many mushrooms that can be sold to local restaurants in this area.

lirachamo51

there is so much stuff that you can get from your land, from just the birch trees there are countless things you can do, black,white and yellow, from chaga, to candles , tea, extract,syrup, bark, and many more, rock very expensive to buy. shrubs and the list can go on and on. time doing it is another thing and finding people to buy it, hard to make a good living,but can put extra money in the pocket,and lots of joy doing it !!
Randy

smoothED

I'm still looking into a place in Arkansas that buys certain size saplings to make walking sticks. A few people pulled in my driveway wanting to cut sumac and pick up walnuts, too many sue-happy people out there to let them do that.  :-\

timberking

There was some folks gathering pine straw a few years ago.

ID Mountaineer

Of course not in all forests but there are many places to prospect for gold. Like has already been said, a lot of these are just good hobbies that give you a good reason to get out, of course just the scenery and solitude is reason enough for me.

nas

Wild leeks/aka ramps,
birch sticks and red dogwood branches for Christmas decorations
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

jrose1970

HFE-36; International 424-37HP; McCullogh Pro 10-10

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

barbender

I do harvest balsam boughs occasionally, in years past it was a main source of income for me this time of year. My two oldest daughters work for a friend of mine making and decorating Christmas wreaths, and I have a wreath clamping table set up in the basement as well. Actually, that's what I'll probably do today since the woods are too wet for logging.
Too many irons in the fire

enigmaT120

I knew a guy who used to harvest salal and sell it to florists for arrangements.  I have some on my place but probably not enough to make it worth my while, even if they pay well. 

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

Thank You Sponsors!