iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log turner.

Started by Bill Gaiche, August 02, 2010, 09:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gaiche

Looking for a simple mechanical method to rotate logs on my manual mill. Tried to roll a 22"x 12' after I had made first cut. Not enough muscle. I couldnt do it untill I put a chain around it and used my front end loader to turn it. Any suggestions or photos would be appreciated and thanks, bg

carykong

I have a cant hook with a 6' handle--has good leverage. Still,22" diameter log  can be difficult if you are sawing by yourself. Wax your log bed with the big logs.

tyb525

For me, all I have to use muscle and a 4ft cant hook. i know others have rigged up hoists, winches, etc., to do the heavy turning. I myself don't see those as practical for me (yet...), due to the fact that I can turn a log by hand much faster than by winch, hoist, etc. I do have a tractor with a loader, but that takes too much time just to turn a log.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

paul case

hey bill,
norwood, ez boardwalk, cooks, woodmizer,and serveral other mills use a manual winnch or 12 volt to power some sort of turner. the ez boardwalk has a hand crank winch mounted on a 2x2 sq tube 4' long that  pops up on the back side and has a log hook on the end of the cable to hook the log with. lays down when not in use. i have turned 30'' logs with it.
you probably get a look at some of these on their websites. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

customsawyer

tyb525 The reason we things like winches etc. is because we're not 18 years old any more.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

kelLOGg

Ditto for me, Customsawyer.

Bill,
I have a permanently attached winch for loading/turning. See my gallery.

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

bandmiller2

Bill,your my age and we shouldn't be trying to hump big logs with a canthook.You need a two plain clamp/turner or the "Pineywoods turner".If your mill is stationary run the hyd. pump with an electric motor.The clamp function is as much help as the turning aid.Mill smart,save important body parts.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

robnrob2

Sorry about the slightly blurry photo, but here is a shot of my claw style turners in action. I built and added 3 of these to my mill, since my machine cutting length is 21'6"  I had room.
I have a single 3,000lb winch that pulls all three routed cables and flips the logs very good.
Has been working for a long time. Each Cable is routed thru its own 1/2" tubing with a bend at the end that points it in the right direction.

r.man

Tyb525, a bit of advice to ignore or not, just because you can lift something doesn't mean you should. Another one that I like but can't claim is " if I'd known I was going to live this long I'd have taken better care of my body". Can't remember the author but as I approach my 50s and think of the things I've lifted, carried, pulled or handled over the years by myself I think of both of these things and wonder about the aches and pains and the future.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Papa1stuff

Tyb525, I can remember at your age I was working for a large paving company in the Northeast ,working 15 to 18 hrs a day and alot of my work was by hand.

I also had older men tell me at that time I had better slow down and I just laughed and said I would never have to,well I still work pretty hard (at least I was untill the blood clots)and I will again but not a lot of hrs per day!

My advice is to use all assistance you can and save your body for latter years,you will need it ;D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

tyb525

Sorry guys I wasn't trying to sound cocky or anything :) That's just how I currently do it. And I try not to overwork myself, if it is too much of a strain I resort to other methods (tractor). Both my uncles have knee and arm problems from hard work all their life. Whenever I am able to get a better method, I will certainly use it. I already try to keep manual log handling to a minimum.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Papa1stuff

tyb , Don't think anyone took it that way,we have just been there done that ;D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

sparky

The quote " if I'd known I was going to live this long I'd have taken better care of my body" was one I had always attributed to Jimmie Durante. I did a quick check and find that it is also linked to Mickey Mantle, Leon Eldred, and Eubie Blake.

Sparky
I'tnl 2050 with Prentrice 110, Custom built 48" left-hand circular and 52" Bellsaw right-hand circular mills, Jonsered 2171, Stihl 084, and too many other chainsaws. John Deere 3020 and Oliver 1800 with FELs. 20" 4-sided planer and misc.

r.man

Thanks for the research Sparky, I should have done that myself. Tyb, you didn't sound cocky, you sounded normal. Bad knees run in my family too and one piece of advice I got from an uncle early on and had the sense to follow was to not jump from any height. Many times I have taken the longer route down and I am hoping it is going to pay off with better knees than my father in later life.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Bill Gaiche

Thanks guys for the info. I have looked at what you have suggested and like what i have seen. That steers me in a possitive direction to start on. I used my tractor loader to turn logs with a newly made hook welded to a chain today and it works ok, just a lot of on and off tractor. Keep cool tomorrow. bg

bandmiller2

Tractors work Bill but be very carefull with them around the mill the only time I damaged my bandmill was when I rolled a lunker off the forks and bent the rear stops.I made up real heavy duty saw horses from oak same hight as the mill bed.Logs are rolled on the mill with the aid of removable oak ramps.Turning with a chain and hook is probibly OK if done with care.Frank C.

Bill Gaiche

bandmiller2 thanks for the advice. I have no one to account for my time so I should never be in a big hurry other than wanting to complete a project. I will be carefull. I have used my little Ford 1520 4X4 for about everything. I live on a 1 acre lot and i use it seems like everyday. I have 10 acres at another area for wood and logs. You would think i had a 100 acres as much as i use my tractor.Brush hog, box blade, rock rake, cycle mower and backhoe. Its handier than the pocket on a shirt. Have a good day, bg

paul case

my neighbor says that everyone should have a wife and a tractor with a front end loader. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

customsawyer

My wife don't have a FEL. :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

nas

Quote from: customsawyer on August 04, 2010, 05:22:53 PM
My wife don't have a FEL. :D
I'm gonna get my wife one.  She needs it for her sawmill ;) 8)
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Magicman

I need to get my wife a FEL.  It won't be my fault if it just happens to have a Green JD hooked to it.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

Seeing you guys are generous enough to get your wives a front end loader you might as well get her a new bird gun too.Bill once you have a tractor with loader you never want to be without.Frank C.

Bill Gaiche

bandmiller2 , i agree. Everywhere i go i see so many people that have farms or buinesses that could use a front end loader on there tractor. They just dont realize what a tool this can be. Magicman JD green would go good with that loader. bg

Handy Andy

My Cook bandmill came with a 2 ton winch and a hook, just hook onto the cable and wrap around the log, and turn the log, course it wouldn't turn those 30" logs, so I picked up a 8 ton at harbor freight, and bent the tubing the winch mounts onto.  Not the mill bed, just the winch part.  Can't figure out how to straighten it either. If you pull on it, the mill just leans over, and tried putting it on a press and couldn't quite figure out how to mount it up. Suppose just cut out the bent piece and weld in a heavier one. 
My name's Jim, I like wood.

kelLOGg

Handy,
I had problems with the Cook's winch design, too. It pulled the log/cant into the squaring arm usually requiring assistance with a cant hook. To make it easier I made a heavy swinging boom that slides in and out with a winch on it which pulls nearly vertically. Now the cant doesn't lodge next to the squaring arm when turning it and turning  heavy cants is much easier. A pic is in my gallery.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!