iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Turkey Calls! GRROBBBBBBBLLLLLLLE!!

Started by rooster 58, January 25, 2013, 03:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster 58

You know, one of the reasons I got into this sawmill gig was because of turkey calls. I always wanted to get into making them(still havn't). I especially like box calls but use calls of most kinds. I had access to many varieties of wood and thought maybe I'll buy one of them little baby bandmills so I can make project wood. Then one day I came home from work one day and The neighbor had a guy with a 40hd doing some sawing. I was hooked!
     I was wondering how many of you made your own calls. What materials do you use? What wood species do you use? What type of calls do you make? And do any of you supply wood to any large call makers? Thanks, I think it would make an interesting thread and am looking forward to viewing your responses ;)

dutchman

I use all kind of calls.
But if you want something different try a homemade Wingbone turkey call.
You have to have a Turkey wing to start.

Autocar

Ive made a few, I pick slate roofing up around old building sites and play around with it thick thin all make for different sounds. And Ive made box calls mostly from eastern red cedar.
Bill

WDH

A guy came today to buy some pecan to take back to Wisconsin to his friend who is a turkey call maker.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

The  smiley_devil is supposed to "went down to Georgia", not went to Wisconsin.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Well, it is done done  :).  The  smiley_devil has left the building  :-\.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Holmes

My wife has a turkey call,   " Oh Dana" ,  unfortunately it works.. ;D
Think like a farmer.

Radar67

I made this one a while back. It is spalted oak and one of three.

"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Autocar

Bill

colincb183

I started building one a few years ago. Didn't manage to finish it due to lack of resources (and, unfortunately, ambition) but i started with a yellow poplar box and a cherry lid. I've heard that has a pretty good tone to it when it's done right.

rooster 58

Wow Radar, that's an awesome looking call ;) Does anyone else have any pics?

CBreak

I have made many, mostly box calls , of  oak,maple,cherry,black walnut and mahogany. You can tune them so they will fool a lot of hot Toms young or old. I have also made tube calls that sound great . But the slate call is fairly easy to make and work great, and I have birds that would not come in until I made some sweet purrs, cluck and yelps on a slate call.I carry all, but do the majority of my calling with a box. It has been over 22 years since I shot my first eastern wild turkey.  When we ate that first bird , my wife said she would never buy another Butter Ball. So fortunately for me, she demands that I go hunting and tells me not to come back emtyhanded. Spring season is right around the corner I'm gettin the itch... Ps I'll try to get some pics soon     Yelp -  Yelp-  Cluck   BANG
                 Bangggg

rooster 58

CBreak, where are the pics :snowball:   I can't wait to see them ;)

CBreak

Rooster , sorry it's taking so long. I had gotten a little sidetracked,and then ran into some trouble with equipment ( camera to computer). Probably operator error, I am very new at this. Anyway I will do my best to get some to you later today -3/19 13.       CB 

rooster 58

Thanks, CBreak ;) I understand about the computer, I have a tough time with it myself. If it was only a like a saw :D :D

CBreak

Rooster, I have the pics in my gallery, a few calls and a piece of elm they are sitting on. I'm trying to add the photos now https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=132896#top_display_media        obviously I don't know what I'm doing .  e to find them in the forum gallery.

rooster 58

Nice calls there CBreak ;)  I love turkey hunt'n 8) I'll bet it's especially rewarding to shoot a gobbler that you called up with one of your calls. Nice piece of elm too. I'd like to get hold of a few logs to make some projects out of. I think an elm table might look right nice. Thanks for the pics and again, very nice calls

CBreak

Hey Rooster, thanks for the compliment. The picture doesn't do them justice, but like I said once before, I don't know what I'm doing. I'm not sure how the pic showed up but there are more I'll try to put up.

CBreak

Magicman

Nice turkey calls, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum, CBreak.   :)

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

CBreak

Thanks back, Magicman. When I figure out what I'm doing I'll post some more pics. I have lots more calls, just can't put my hands on them right now.One consolation is that while I'm looking for them, maybe I'll find my mind, I seem to have lost that too. 

rooster 58

Thanks again CBreak. And I'm sorry, I didn't recognize that you are a new member to the FF. WELCOME DUDE 8)

CBreak

Thanks back , Magicman,I've tried but failed, to post more pics . I'll keep at it

Magicman

CB, go to the "Behind the Forum" board and the first topic contains the instructions for posting pictures.

Here is a LINK

If you still have a problem, then just ask.   ;D

thecfarm

Looks like you have the part about getting in your gallery down,I saw 5 pictures in there.
Maybe this is the part you are having a hard time with,

I like to go to whatever post or start a new topic first to include a picture.Go to your gallery,it will open in a new window.Click onto your album,than click onto whatever picture you want,it will get bigger,than scroll down a little to find,Insert Image In Post,click onto that,click Yes and that is it. Some have to copy/paste the link to work.I like to hit the enter key at least once or twice to move the picture down away from what I am typing. The enter key really helps to leave some white space if posting more than one picture. Somewheres I think it says to add 10,000 to your user number or something like that to make a clickable icon to your gallery under your user name. Use the preview button to see how it looks and modify it if needed.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

CBreak

Thanks for the help guys, I haven't had time to bone up on it yet, it's gettin pretty busy around here. I'm building some finished stairs and trim in my house. I'll work on it when I get more time, but  thanks  again       CB

Thank You Sponsors!