iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

548 or 515

Started by 280 rem, January 07, 2018, 01:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

280 rem

Has anyone owned/operated both a Deere 548 E or G and a cat 515. Wondering what the differences and capabilities are advantages disadvantages of either machine. I have a 548E but never been around a cat skidder. I have a small cat wheel loader that I'm beyond pleased with. Just always wondered about this since I've never seen much info on a 515
We saw walnut lumber for the same reason Willie Sutton said he robbed banks, "because that's where the money is"

Select 4221E, baker edger, cat 908 loader, Jd 548E, timberjack 230d, hood 7000 loader.

Riwaka

If you are looking to upgrade the JD 548E possibly look at Tigercat as additional option if you nearest support is not too far away etc.
Tigercat 610C - dual arch grapple, winch, turn-around seat controls - probably double the price of the Cat 515 used but should give you the capacity to pull more wood/ day depending on operator etc. (There are older lesser spec TC 610c with single arch grapples and no winch if you need to price match a Cat 515.)
http://bit.ly/2m5n6WZ    515/ 525 brochure pdf

coxy

I'm a cat guy but would not buy a 515 I talked to a few people that told me they where junk

starmac

I know nothing about the 515s, but have a couple of friends that run old 518s s, at least I am pretty sure that is the right number, and you would think timex built them. They just keep ticking.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

280 rem

Quote from: Riwaka on January 07, 2018, 04:53:40 PM
If you are looking to upgrade the JD 548E possibly look at Tigercat as additional option if you nearest support is not too far away etc.
Tigercat 610C - dual arch grapple, winch, turn-around seat controls - probably double the price of the Cat 515 used but should give you the capacity to pull more wood/ day depending on operator etc. (There are older lesser spec TC 610c with single arch grapples and no winch if you need to price match a Cat 515.)
http://bit.ly/2m5n6WZ    515/ 525 brochure pdf

Not looking for bigger. All my cutting is selective harvest of mostly walnut. Really the smaller the better, machine wise. The 548 is almost too big but it turns so well that it gets around the timber better than some smaller skidders I've been around. That was one thing I was wondering was if the cat would turn as tight as a Deere, I assume it probably doesn't.
We saw walnut lumber for the same reason Willie Sutton said he robbed banks, "because that's where the money is"

Select 4221E, baker edger, cat 908 loader, Jd 548E, timberjack 230d, hood 7000 loader.

Skeans1

One thing I know some of the older cats don't unlock the front end so steering shouldn't be as tight.

Thank You Sponsors!