iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Macrocarpa

Started by Ianab, January 25, 2004, 03:06:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Another weekend, another couple of logs saved from the firewood heap.
First pic is the mill set up in front of the trees we have been given. As you can see it may be a long term mission here. About 12 x 50 year old Macrocarpa (Monterey Cypress).

This is the infamous Toxic Goat hauling a log down the bank to where we are able to set the mill up.

!/2 way thru the first log and wondering how the heck we are gonna flip the thing over and cut from the other side to make a table slab

With a rope and the Toxic Goat's winch we got it rolled over and leveled with a jack, then sawed off the other side.

Leaving us with a decent sized slab...

Now... hopefully it will dry out in the shed so it no longer takes 4 guys to lift it.... ::)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Captain

Not knowing what macrocarpa is I did some reading :P.

That's a pretty big slab....must have been fun turning that one over.....

Love the looks of that New Zealand Summer.  It's -2 F here this morning, glad I got the sawing done yesterday!!

Captain

Norm

That's one heck of a nice slab lanab. I sure enjoy seeing green grass and trees this time of year. We have a winter storm warning out for today.

Do your friend look at you cautiously now when you ask them what they're doing this weekend.  ;)

Ianab

Hi Captain
There must be more than one Macrocarpa, this one is a true cypress and is originally from a small area of California. (Monterey-hence the other name) It's been planted here as shelter on farms, and like a lot of trees here it grows huge. And yeah.. turning it over was a mission. We took the rails right out of the way and used the winch on the 4x4, then a bit of mucking round with poles and a jack to level it up.
Temp here is about 25c during the day... gonna get hot in that little hollow once we remove our shade trees  ::)
And dont worry.. most of my friends say.."What we gonna cut up this weekend?'  ;D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

KiwiJake

Macro is some real nice looking wood but they sure can grow ugly.

WV_hillbilly

Kiwi  
         Those trees look like they would make nice looking boards and some good looking slabs with a live edge . I maybe different than some folks but I like wood with some defects or  something other than straight grain  ;D
Hillbilly

Ianab

Some of the thinner macrocarpa boards are getting pretty dry now so I planed up a couple of bits to see what it comes out like.

Yes.. I like it  8)
Now.. if it stops raining I can go and saw up some more ::)
BTW we had 400mm of rain in 24 hours up on the mountain this weekend  

Thank You Sponsors!