iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lane #1 Sawmill, maybe or just a pile of parts

Started by jason.weir, June 07, 2007, 11:49:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain

I thought Lane Sawmills were all GREEN... ???

Captain

JSNH

The carriage is 18' long. The longest I have needed to cut was 22'. The longest I could cut I think would be 26'. the blade gives me a 22" cut. I can open the carriage to 32". The largest log was 36" dia. The fun part was getting it home. It is 55' long and was 40 miles from my house.

jason.weir

I went and looked at another 2 other Lane mills yesterday,

The first was up and running at Sanborn Farms in Loudon, NH.  If you get a chance, take some time and go see their setup, they saw a couple times a week and yesterday they were sawing red oak and pine logs.  They have a water powered rack and pinion Lane #1 with a 36' carriage and close to a 60" blade.  I watched them saw for an hour or so, then he shut down the mill for me to look over.  This is exactly what my grandfather and his father had and I would like to setup the same thing as I'm having no luck finding their mill.  Although I might not need a 36' carriage or a 60" blade but it would be nice.  I don't have pictures here at work but will post them from home tonight.

The second mill ended up being less than a mile from home.  I heard a rumor from a cousin about a mill and after calls to three different people I tracked down the mill at a gentleman's house that I have known my whole life but never knew he had an old mill out in the back 40..

It is a Lane as well with a cable driven carriage and looked complete.  It probably can be had for around $100 and I probably will go pick it up tonight, if nothing else I can use it for parts.  When I get pictures of that I will post them as well.

This could get addicting..

Sorry If you see this post twice - I've posted it over at owwm.com as well..

Thanks,
Jason

jason.weir

I just went and looked at a bunch of Lane parts and here are some pictures.  I talked to a very nice lady for a couple of hours, it seems her father was in the business of buying old mills and putting them back together for resale.  She had 4 "parts" mills in various states, it looked to me like she had 2 RH Lanes 1 LH Lane and 1 LH Chase.

Jason Weir
Chichester, NH

beenthere

jason
What a find for a bone yard.
In a way it would be a shame to part them out, and not keep them together.
However, that last pic has a good shot of the saw guide for the saw (along the left side) being discussed in another thread :)

circle blade guide thread
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jason.weir

I agree about keeping the mills together, I'm trying to justify (to myself) the purchase of all of it and then rebuild and sell off a complete mill or 2, to pay for everything and keep the rest for myself.  Counting this find I think I would have enough parts to put back together 5 mills (minus blades) and still have some parts leftover.

Whats a complete, and working Lane mill worth?

Jason Weir
Chichester, NH

JSNH

The top photo has an edger or planner. If an edger get it they are worth their weight in gold. The middle pick has the moody head blocks made by Paige Belting like mine.

Sprucegum

Ron Wenrich

Bottom picture, left side of the husk.  Those things laying on the bottom of the husk look to be dogs.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

jason.weir

Ok went and picked up the mill that was near home, less than a mile for $100...

Its not a Lane but an Amidon out of CT, but some parts have both Lane and Amidon cast on them.

Going tomorrow to pick up another that we know is a lane...

What do you get for a hundred dollars you ask, here are the pictures.

Jason

Fla._Deadheader

Don'tcha reckon that blade is any good ???  That's a lot of weight thrown on it.  ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Ron Wenrich

A new set of bits and it'll be ready to go.   ;)

Fla._Deadheader

Kinda what I was thinkin, Ron. Too expensive to treat that-a-way.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

jason.weir

I probably shouda loaded it last but thats not the way it went.

I had to dig it out of the leaves leaning up against a tree and kinda figured it would need to be hammered and tensioned as well as new bits and shanks before it would be any good.

Hopefully it wasn't hurt too bad.

BTW - anyone have some detailed pictures or a diagram showing how the husk is setup.  This one only has the arbor installed and the rest of the stuff is in a pile.  I don't have the foggiest idea where to start..

-Jason

beenthere

I think you will enjoy the ride, and would suggest thinkin about a small quantity of RustReaper to help get her back in shape.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Wenrich

Maybe you should put everything out on the ground so you can see what parts you do have.  You also have a picture of an old husk that is fully assembled.  It looks like you'll need some new wood or steel to put the husk together.

woody1

You sure got a job ahead of ya. But you'll be a happy guy when it's done. Lots of rust reaper, a torch, and easy does it. Just remember when you crack or break anything, it's hard to repair or replace..been there, done that !  :'( :'( :'(
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

thecfarm

Who's leaning over the side of the truck,looking at a pile of sawmill mill parts and saying," What have I got myself into and I just paid $100 for this.If my wife finds out she will kill me."    :D :D :D :D  Good luck with your find.Please keep us posted on your work.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

I'd love to find one of those here for 100 bucks.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Captain

I'll come up and double your money  ;D

If you find any more Lanes, let me know!!

Captain

jason.weir

I just went a picked up the second mill.

This one cost a bit more but has no wood or blade but it is a Lane Mill..

This one is a wire feed mill instead of the rack and pinion model that I'm looking for but for $250 I couldn't pass up, we also picked up a 30" edger you can see in the pictures, we got that for an additional $150, again couldn't pass it up..

We will be ordering the new timbers for the first mill this weekend...

-Jason

Ron Wenrich

jason.weir

Captain,

Are you looking for parts or a complete mill.  The reason I ask is, it seems to put a complete mill together I'm going to be buying a few parts mills and will have quite a few parts left over.

-Jason

Captain

Jason, I'm looking for complete  :)  Certainly I'm not opposed to extras on certian critical parts  :)

Captain

Thank You Sponsors!