iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

View from my door

Started by sawguy21, October 26, 2017, 02:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

This is my back yard this morning, the maples and walnut tree are in full glory in the sunlight.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Peter Drouin

Nice, It's like that here too.  :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

Not many walnuts in my area. But the ash are yellow and the red oak will be brown soon.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

YellowHammer

Doesn't get much better than that.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Jeff

Here is the fall view out our office area front window over the top of Tammy s noggin. :D

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Weekend_Sawyer

Here's the view out my side door, It's also the view out of my most successful hunting blind! :D

It's a wonderful fall day here in Maryland. Finally! ::)
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

sandhills

coxy

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on October 27, 2017, 11:24:34 AM
Here's the view out my side door, It's also the view out of my most successful hunting blind! :D

It's a wonderful fall day here in Maryland. Finally! ::)
Jon
i like the old truck  ;D

sawguy21

It got my attention too. ;D We don't get the brilliant colors the easterners enjoy at this time of year, mostly yellow and muted orange, but it is still something to behold against the backdrop of the conifers, brilliant blue sky and snow capped mountains.  I drove beside Shuswap Lake yesterday, there were some wonderful photo opportunities and no place to safely pull off
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WV Sawmiller

This is my main walnut tree in my front yard. Don't dare park under it and even scary to walk under it this time of year. The nuts in the husk are nearly 4" in diameter and the nuts with the outer husk removed are nearly 2" in diameter. It has lost many of its leaves already.

This is a pile of nuts waiting to be picked up. It is in a low spot so the nuts naturally roll into it. The black ones mostly came out of the creek. I was taking up my minnow traps last week and went ahead and threw the nuts on the pile before our predicted heavy rain could wash them downstream.

These are butternuts hanging over one end of my bridge. The leaves are all gone but there are still lots of nuts on the tree. They are smaller and more oblong than the black walnuts. Many of these will land in the creek. The others will land on the road and the squirrels, chipmunks and crows will be visiting for a free meal from the ones that got broken.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chuck White

What do you do with the Walnuts?

I got about a bushel from my 2 small walnut trees this year!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

samandothers

Chuck White

Best way I've found to crack them is in a bench vice!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

I talked to a guy at our local street festival (Hinton Railroad Days) and he said he puts his walnuts up for a year to dry and it is easier to pick out the meat and it takes on the taste of the shell more. Would make sense if the meat had shriveled a bit it would pull away from shell than green ones. I may try both this year.

Chuck,

I like the bench vise idea. If I had not gotten my walnut cracker for a gift I might be trying that. Nearly all of us already have a vise or two around the place.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Kbeitz

I'm so tired of moving walnuts.... First picture is around 3 feet deep.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WV Sawmiller

I am picking mine up with a ballast fork (similar to a sawdust or seed fork) with about 10 closely spaced tines. Take them to the drive where the gravel is very hardly packed or my cement bridge and roll the outer husk off with my foot then put the true nut in feed sacks and will let them dry downstairs near the wood heater for a few weeks then crack and pick them out during inclement weather.

I have not been successful yet convincing my 9 y/o granddaughter how much fun picking up walnuts can be. I will try with the 5 and 11 y/o. I'll likely have more luck with the 5 y/o.
Howard Green

Jeff

Still some leaves hanging on today.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Chuck White

The only leaves still hanging on in my yard is one Beech tree and the Lilac bushes!

Thank You Sponsors!