iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red Oak Questions

Started by scleigh, January 09, 2015, 09:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scleigh

I cut a pretty nice red oak out of a neighbors yard today and got a straight 17' log.

I was excited about the log, thinking it was a normal red oak. Once I got it on the ground I could see the growth rings where very wide, much like the live oak I sawed last spring. Also there were three lines or cracks I'm guessing could be ring shake. The end grain was kind of wild looking and not the normal red oak I was expecting. The tree was on an open hill side and most likely got a good amount of wind.

So, my questions: Is this a sign of ring shake? Would you guys bother putting this on the mill?
With the wide growth rings and the possible shake, I'm starting to think this log would be better off as firewood. The live oak that I sawed previously was very pretty, but some of the boards did begin to come apart while drying; as many on here said it would. I'm sure this log would make pretty lumber, but I'm affraid it will act like the live oak.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I've never put a straight Red Oak on the fire based on end grain, ring shake , etc.
I would quarter saw it or saw a large beam giving me the options to re-saw the beam to a customer's specs. :)
Might get some nice Mantles out of it with live edge. Just be sure to seal the ends for checking.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

yarnammurt

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 09, 2015, 09:18:55 PM
I've never put a straight Red Oak on the fire based on end grain, ring shake , etc.
I would quarter saw it or saw a large beam giving me the options to re-saw the beam to a customer's specs. :)
Might get some nice Mantles out of it with live edge. Just be sure to seal the ends for checking.

X2
ATS 10" Peterson, 09 New Holland 4x4 TL90 with loader, 125hp White,2 2009 Kawasaki 610 mules,

Ianab

When you saw it, align your cuts with those cracks, so you keep them limited to just one or two boards. There is good chance those boards will check badly, but the other 90% should be fine.

The fast growth is more a visual issue, although it does have some effect on the wood it wont reduce it's strength in any serious way. The curly growth rings look interesting, it's possible you will get some nice curly grain boards out of that.

Anyway, put in on the mill. You can always change your mind and make it into firewood later. Once it's firewood, you can't go back the other way.   ;) :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

JB Griffin

Not ring shake, looks like heart check to me.

Still a keeper for sure, be sure to post some pics of the lumber . :P
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

mikeb1079

not sure what to make of the growth ring pattern but i don't think that's ring shake...i'd at least try to mill it and see how the lumber looks
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: JB Griffin on January 09, 2015, 09:53:02 PM
Not ring shake, looks like heart check to me.

Still a keeper for sure, be sure to post some pics of the lumber . :P

Hart check, Spangle usualy only run a short distance, as mentioned capture it in as few of boards as possible and don't aliegn it so it splits several boards as they will.

I see the rippled grain in our black oak (of the red oak family) and if you can capture it in a board it is sought after ;), but it shallow and seems to be just at the butt so runs out quick, think a few small projects like a set of cuboard doors and set those pieces aside.

17' will be hefty ;D
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

logboy

Nearly all the big oak I slab has heart check like that. Typically it doesnt run very far, and you can saw around it without too much trouble. Not sure what the diameter of that log is, but if you think theres a 3" section in the log that is split, just saw it out as a slab. The cracks can be fixed in the wood shop and add character to the slab. The good stuff you can turn into lumber.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

FarmingSawyer

Does ring shake even effect oak? There have been some great discussions of it here. It is common in softwoods, especially hemlock which grows in damp ground. It's a bacterial infection which enters through the roots.
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

kelLOGg

Is ring shake the same as wind shake? (Ring shake is not in the FF dictionary) Anyway, I thouht wind shake is a circular crack in the log. Sorta like a loose cylinder in the center.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Chuck White

Ring-Shake will show up between two of the growth rings, not across them!

Sometimes it will go full-circle and others, just a few inches.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

coalsmok

I would put it on the mill.

bandmiller2

Shake that up in your pocket and have at it some fine lumber in there, don't judge the whole tree by its butt. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: FarmingSawyer on January 10, 2015, 05:20:39 AM
Does ring shake even effect oak? There have been some great discussions of it here. It is common in softwoods, especially hemlock which grows in damp ground. It's a bacterial infection which enters through the roots.
I've seen red oak with ring shake.  the inner cylinder of a 36" dis log was big enough to quarter saw.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WDH

I suspect that the lumber will be spectacular with that ring pattern. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

scleigh

Thanks for the input. I cut the log in half yesterday, but could'nt  tell if the heart check went that far up the log. There's no way I could get the 17' log loaded onto my dump truck without really tearing up the yard and it was on a pretty good slope.
Think I'll get the tree home and maybe qurter saw the butt log since the heart check seems to run almost across the whole of the log.

beenthere

Quote from: kelLOGg on January 10, 2015, 06:03:34 AM
Is ring shake the same as wind shake? (Ring shake is not in the FF dictionary) Anyway, I thouht wind shake is a circular crack in the log. Sorta like a loose cylinder in the center.
Bob

Ring shake not the same as the mis-named "wind shake". Ring (as implied) is along the annual rings. "Wind shake" is a split/crack across the rings but contrary to the name, is believed to be really caused by tree growth stress and not from "high winds". Many wannabe forestry dictionary's on line have popped up with the "high wind" explanation, but don't think they are correct... just a natural connection with the long-used term that seems to have been in use on the West coast.
Don't expect anyone to be able to change the term as it has prevailed for so long.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mesquite buckeye

The center in the cracked area looks like wet wood. When you hit that part it will be stinky. :o I have lots of trees like this at my farm. They make great lumber, but you have to really be careful with the lumber.

The affected part will have a strong tendency to crack, check and collapse. Take it really easy on the drying and don't let the boards lay out in the sun uncovered when you cut. ;D

In my experience, wetwood is typically cone shaped and tapers to a point as you go a few feet up the log. In time, rotting fungi will follow the wetwood bacterially infected wood, eventually resulting in a hollow tree. Looks to me like you cut it at the perfect time before the onset of rot. Good job. 8) 8) 8) ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

kwendt

Awesome thread, thanks for the education, suggestions.
87 acres abandoned northern Maine farm and forest to reclaim. 20 acres in fields, 55 acre woodlot: maple, spruce, cedar and mixed. Deer, bear, moose, fox, mink, snowshoe and lynx. So far: a 1950 Fergie TO-20, hand tools, and a forge. (And a husband!)

fat olde elf

Saw it up, sell the lumber, use the money to pay your social security tax as I am spending it as fast as you pay it.  Thanks...........
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Gary_C

That could be black oak and judging from the pond in the background and the appearance, that tree could be bacterial infected. Neither one of those two are a good thing. The bacterial infection may not go very far up the trunk so it would be best to cut the first log as long as you can saw so as to get the best yield.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Magicman

I see no reason whatsoever not to saw that log.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Quote from: WDH on January 10, 2015, 07:52:37 AM
I suspect that the lumber will be spectacular with that ring pattern. 

Just what I was thinking, :D

Cut it up 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Knute

No doubt I would saw that log. With oak, the wider the rings, the harder the wood. With pine, just the opposite.

cutterboy

I would love to have that butt log with the squiggly rings. There is good lumber in there. Saw it up!
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!