iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Update: Jeff's Clock

Started by Magicman, July 20, 2011, 01:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

A couple of months ago a customer asked me to build a clock for a gift.  Back in my clock building days in the 80's & 90's, I built well over 100 clocks.  Mantel, wall, schoolhouse, bracket, and over a dozen Grandfather clocks.  Alas, I lost my ledger which contained dates, customers, type, species of wood, and serial numbers.

Anyway, he wanted a Walnut mantel clock so I have been working along on it.  All of the pictures were taken with my cell phone, and I just have not taken the time to upload them and post.  The delivery time is before the Pig Roast so I have to get busy because you can't rush the finishing.

I use a combination joint on the door.  Miter for looks on the front side and lap for strength on the back.

Gluing the door together.

A bit of sanding.

The finished door.

Morticing the hinges for the door.

Gluing the base.

Walnut sanding dust really stains your hands.

The various parts are coming together.

A bad picture of a pretty piece of wood.  This is the loose fitting back of the clock.

I'm now ready to finally assemble the main body of the clock.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Coon

Looking preet nice there Magic.  ;D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Warbird

Wow.  Looking forward to seeing the final pics.

SwampDonkey

Hey there MagicMan, you've been holding back on us.  :)

That's coming along very nicely.

My uncle had a grandmother clock carcass built about 30 years ago by a local cabinet maker. The top with the movement has a carcass that slides forward, kind of like a hood. It also has a glassed front door.

Cool project BTW.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bill Gaiche

MM dont you ever have anything to do? Lookin good on the clock. Keep us posted and have a good trip up north, bg

Magicman

I finished the clock this afternoon.

It will only get low gloss tung oil finish.  No stain or glossy polyurethane look.

Nicely figured Walnut.

The back.

It's hard to get a frontal shot with the reflection of the glass and the polished dial.

I just hope that he doesn't call and I get to keep it over the weekend.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Warbird

Beautifully done.

Dodgy Loner

That's beautiful. I know your client will be tickled pink :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Bill Gaiche

Very nice MM. I cant think of anyone who would be ticked off at owning one like that. I have never used any of that finish before, need to try it sometime. bg

Left Coast Chris

Very Beautiful MM.  How many coats of the Tung Oil did you apply?
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Radar67

That looks good MM. I like using tung oil myself.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

SwampDonkey

That's a wonderfully done clock MM. The finish looks great.  :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

That is a fine piece, MM!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

Nice job MM 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Quote from: Left Coast Chris on July 20, 2011, 10:59:14 PM
Very Beautiful MM.  How many coats of the Tung Oil did you apply? 

Thanks all.  I will use 0000 steel wool today and add the second (final) coat of tung oil.

GF

That is a really nice clock, very well done.

GF

Magicman

I hate modifications, but sometimes they are necessary.  I noticed last night that the chimes sounded muffled.  I normally put a finger hole in the back, but this back was so pretty that I tried it without the hole.  Well, this morning it got a hole.

A 1½" finger hole gets drilled through the back.

Yup, it now has a hole.

0000 Steel wool and hand rubbed with a soft cloth eliminates any possibility of any unsightly build up.  This was the second and final coat of oil.

Another view of the front at an angle to reduce reflections.

I don't use any fillers or putty to fill any irregularities in the wood or joints.  This is handcrafted, if it is there it stays.

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

SwampDonkey

Great piece, just think of the hole as the final touches.  :)

Coon

From Magicman to Father Time what's next?   ;D  :D

Beautiful Job.   smiley_thumbsup
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

metalspinner

Very nice, MM.

At least you noticed the sound issue before your final coat of finish.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Ernie

Looks great MM, a true craftsman.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Magicman

OK, so I wasn't completely honest about who the clock was actually for.  It wasn't for a customer, I built it as a gift for Jeff and Tammy.

Jeff

That clock is amazing and was a wonderful surprise. We will be moving some things from the center of our mantle to give it a place where was can admire it for years to come.  Thanks to Mr. and Mrs. Magicman for such a magnificent gift.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Thank You Sponsors!