iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS261 - MS661 bar compatibility

Started by George Zarifis, October 20, 2015, 09:10:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Zarifis

I have the MS261 C-M with a 18" bar at .325 and I would like to get a longer bar at 3/8 to use it with an alaskan mill. Will a MS661 bar be compatible with my saw?
Every man's proble can be solved with a chansaw and high explosives. And a gun. And maybe a screwdriver. A cordless drill wouldn't hurt either.

I think a truck full of tools will do...

Kingmt

You're going to need a new sprocket of the correct size. I wouldn't put over a 18" bar on that saw tho. It just isn't big enough. I hear that milling is hard in little saws. You might get by with 20" of the nose of the bar isn't in the wood but IMO it is just to small of a saw for that long of a bar.
Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

George Zarifis

Thanks for the reply. I am aware that my saw can't handle very long bars. I am planning on drilling two holes on the longer bar in order to attach two pieces of heavy duty threaded rod. This way I will have an improvised alaskan mill. Since I will have to avoid the nose gear and bearing, i figured I will loose 5-6 inches from the total bar length. This means that if I go with a 25" bar the useable length will be less than 20". My question is wether a bar listed to be used with the MS661 will fit the MS261. Anyway, I don't have a bigger saw.
Every man's proble can be solved with a chansaw and high explosives. And a gun. And maybe a screwdriver. A cordless drill wouldn't hurt either.

HolmenTree

Yes the 661 and 261 bars are interchangeable. Same oil hole, slot and tensioner pin holes.
You may want to try the 3/8 63PS Picco chisel on your 261 for milling as the 7 tooth Picco  rim sprocket is available for the 261.
Here's what I bought but the 16" Logosol bar is the longest. A longer standard 3/8 nose bar will work...but not perfect, at least you'll have the proper pitch rim sprocket.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

George Zarifis

Thanks a lot for your reply. I'll see what I can do...

Thank You Sponsors!