iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Renovation of an 1828 timber frame home

Started by dustyjay, July 15, 2018, 07:22:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dustyjay

This is why I've been absent from the forum for a long time. We've been renovating this home for 5 years, living in it for the last one. We've also renovated the milk house on the property into an apartment for my mother. You can see some of the very cool beams in the frame, which was amazingly square sitting on a stone foundation. Some of the interior posts had sunk, which is why I had to build up the kitchen floor, but the rest was great. 
 My favorite part was trimming the windows, all with tapered jam extensions and 692 predrilled, hand set finish nails.
The link to about 50 pictures is Here but I'll add some below too. Thanks for checking it out. 

When I first tried to buy it the bankers said "We'll loan you more money if you promise to tear it down. It's a liability, not an asset." The appraiser labeled it an F. The bankers would love to get their hands on it now, but no mortgage!

Proper prior planning prevents pith poor performance

Brian_Weekley

Nice to see it restored.  Looks like it's coming along nicely.
e aho laula

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dustyjay

I'd be glad to share a cup of coffee on the porch and talk timber framing. I've got a barn to build next...

samandothers

Wow!  You had a dream  and a drive.  Look what y'all have done,it is fantastic!

Did you mill the wood you used?  What is the floor covered with in the room with the fireplace?

dustyjay

Bought in the oak for floor and cherry for window trim. I paid for it by selling pine logs, so maybe that counts? It takes a lotta pine to pay off oak and cherry. Got a deal when oak was another cancelled order and cherry was slabbed, then planed to 1" thick with one square edge.

Floor in the fireplace room is either fir or southern yellow pine we think. Interesting the char marks in it. It's a wonder the place never burned down.

Thank You Sponsors!