iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norwood LM29 Opinions?

Started by fluidp, February 02, 2018, 10:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluidp

Good Morning All,  Any thoughts on the LM29 mill.?  I am looking to buy soon.  I like the fact that with this mill, I can add options later, if I want.  Also the bed extensions seem to be reasonable.  Many available options, Roller vs Ceramic guides....  19" wheels....  I don't really like the Cable up and down, but I guess if it set up correct, and maintained, it would be fine...  What do you all think????   Thanks

fluidp

One more ??.....The LM29 comes standard with the 14hp Kohler.  They have the option of a 16 hp twin Brigs.  What will the extra 2hp do for me????   Thanks

Jack S

I have the 16 hp on mine and it does a good job. before buying I ran one with the 14 and the owner was happy with it. really not much difference. I do like the electric start.  As for the cable lift that was a concern of mine also but after 4years and almost 300 hours of sawing it is not an issue. I cut mostly pine, some poplar and very little hardwood ( oak) White oak can  be a pain, From what I have learned here on the FF if I went to 4 degree blades I would do much better.Bear in mind being a manual saw it is not high production but does cut very accurate lumber. On a good pine 8 inch cant I can shave very thin skim cuts down less that 1/4 inch thick accurate the whole length of a log.
I've also had logs that move around on the deck so much when sawing you cant get a decent board. I love the Lm29 and feel it was the right choice for my in retirement hobby operation.  Jack

Thank You Sponsors!