iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Portable Sawmill : Lucas, Peterson, others

Started by Biocmp, January 12, 2014, 11:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biocmp

I'm looking to pull the trigger on a sawmill in the next 4-6 weeks. I've saved the money and I want something that is mobile, and can do wide slabs. We own a quite a bit of acreage but we don't have big equipment, so I'll need to set the mill up in the woods. I have friends who own a few hundred acres as well and they said I can take any trees that go down. If I learn to do healthy, selective harvesting, then we may agree to terms but that is a bit down the road.

For now, I'll be pulling the mill with an ATV if possible. 

I want to saw timbers for timberframes, siding, floors and furniture. I've looked through the archives many times for all Lucas and Peterson posts. We are wanting to create our own little homestead and a mill is a very valuable item to have, for our home and support structures and hopefully some value-added items.

I'm wondering what everyone suggests for my first mill?

I appreciate any suggestions from you knowledgeable folks. I live in MO, any other questions, please ask. I've already reached out to the Lucas retailers in the CA and they are sending me the DVDs.

mad murdock

If portability with an ATV is what you are after, I would look at Turbo Saws' Weekend Warrior, powered by a Husky 3120 or Stihl 880.  Otherwise a Chainsaw mill is the other option for ultimate portability. If you have access with a truck of some size, pickup etc, then a Lucas or Peterson may be what you want. Look around and see if you can see some different mills in action before you buy. A little time working a mill will tell you a lot about what you want and what you don't want.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Ianab

I've hauled my old Peterson ATS with a quad bike.

Took 2 trips, one for the carriage and one with the rails and cross members, but we got in to where the logs where, and took a lot of loads of boards out with the same little trailer.

A larger utility trailer will carry it in one load, and a quad bike could haul that on flat ground (we weren't on flat ground  :D)

Normal travel set up is like this.

But the mill and trailer is light enough that I can tow it behind a small Japanese car if needed.

So yeah, you can get them most places that it would be sensible to take them.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

dgdrls

Good morning Biocmp,

either swingmill would be a good choice,
The power heads usually have shuttle wheels
and can be walked a distance or placed on a small trailer and pulled by a quad.
The balance of the machine easy to "lug"
with a helper.

You may want to consider an ATV arch, look to Logrite for one,
darn handy to have, makes for landing smaller and intermediate logs easier

I went with a Lucas for many of the same reasons.

Best
DGDrls

Nomad

Bio, I also think a swingblade mill with a slabbing attachment is the best choice for what you have in mind.  Personally I'd look for an 8" model; the smaller ones are too limiting in my opinion.
     I too like the idea of an ATV logging arch.  For a Lucas mill it could be used to haul the longer frame components around as well as logs and timbers.  I believe a small off road trailer would also be in your best interests for hauling the carriage in and sawn lumber out.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Seaman

Biocmp,
I run a Lucas, and it will do everything you in a mill.  I am sure you would be happy with either brand. I do get great service from the folks at LCS, and do not know anything about service and parts for Peterson.
I do highly encourage you to find and run both mills, it is a big investment to go into inexperienced.
Good luck with your search.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Biocmp

Thanks for all of the answers so far. They've been helpful.

I reached out to LCS, in hopes of finding some local Lucas owners, should hear back shortly.

Are there any sawmill owners near St. Louis?

I was almost dead set on getting a used Timberking or Woodmizer but it just doesn't make sense with our lack of support equipment. I truly believe the swingblade will be the best option for me, at least in the beginning. (I'd love to have a bandsaw mill in the future).

I looked at the LogRite website and the arches look awfully nice. I have a lot to learn!

Any others that care to chime in?

Qweaver

I often use my Gator to move my LT28 but a regular 4 wheeler would be a bit iffy on hilly ground.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

sigidi

Biocmp, I went with a Lucas and also did it without having touched another mill - on my 3rd Lucas now and happy as heck with them.

Saw a photo once of a Lucas all slung together being walked along by a Mule in some foreign company - the gentleman had used the engine carriage as the buggy, attached the rails down either side of the carriage to form a space where he attached his mule, all the other bits sat on the carriage and he sat atop the engine with reins to the mule - looked rather clever ;)

I started with a model 6, but quickly went to a model 10 once they came out, have never used the 8's, but if you want it to add a bit of income rather than be your only source of income, I'd suggest you could go with a 6, my mobile business was started with the 6 and I used it for about 5-6 years. Recently (last 3-4 years) milling has to pay all my bills and having the 10" has opened up some production and extra timber sales.

good luck mate  8)
Always willing to help - Allan

Grandedog

Howdy,

We're still trying to run someone down in your area for a demo. The most recent one sold was 2001. These days it doesn't seem like people stay put in one place too long.

Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
1615B South Main Street  Willits, CA 95490
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212
E-Mail  gregg@leftcoastsupplies.com   www.leftcoastsupplies.com

DDobbs

I know of a couple around STL will do some digging and see if I can find a number.
If not I can tell you where they are.
EZ Boardwalk 40
Ez Boradwalk Jr.sold 11/7/2015
Stihl 650 Stihl 290

Biocmp

Many thanks to everyone who has answered. I had a PM to see a woodmizer in action and I know Gregg at LCS is hoping to find someone (much appreciated).

DDobbs, thanks for your help as well.

Sigidi, thanks for the replies. I've seen quite a few of your posts and if/when I pull the trigger, I'm sure you'll be hearing from me.

Qweaver, what kind of Gator do you have? I've seen some really tricked out gators that could go anywhere and pull the saw anywhere I'd need to be. Just curious how you like yours.

Thanks again to everyone for the replies.

Qweaver

My Gator is an 850.  Plenty of HP and traction just not enough weight on the smaller machines to keep things from going sideway on hilly ground.  I use the jeep most times.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

dboyt

What size slabs, and what size ATV? My Norwood can cut 30" wide slabs (if you remove the guides) and weighs 1,800 pounds with about 30 pounds tongue weight.  PM me if you want to come to Neosho (southwest MO) to play with it.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

sigidi

Quote from: Biocmp on January 13, 2014, 10:24:26 PM

Sigidi, thanks for the replies. I've seen quite a few of your posts and if/when I pull the trigger, I'm sure you'll be hearing from me.

no problem I love it, look forward to it ;)
Always willing to help - Allan

Thank You Sponsors!