iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Thread about Food Plots

Started by BCinVT, February 25, 2010, 08:59:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BCinVT

Just wondering? Don't know if it's been done or not,or if it even has anything to do with this website.But I was wondering if there would be enough interest to start a Food Plot thread/board.Since I always hear the old saying"cut trees grow deer"I was hoping that alot on here would have good info about food plots.I know that after I've logged an area on my land,I will be replanting some type of plants.I'd rather get my info for planting from people on here that are actually doing it,than from a seed co. website.It'd be also handy to know what grows well where.Let me know what you guys think.
I don't think I know it all. I know enough to ask now.To bad it took so long to figure that out:)

Jeff

The topic is of interest to many of us, myself included, and new topics I'm certain would see discussion, but it just would not warrant a dedicated board.  When we create a new board, its because we see the need because of many many instances of topics of a common theme being posted on the Forum. That just doesn't currently exist with food plots.

There is plenty of room in the Forestry and Logging board for discussions of this type and a good fit for them. Or even on the outdoor board where there are lots of hunting threads.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

stonebroke

All I know is that deer just love intensively grazed pastures and would rather eat that then just about anything else.

Stonebroke

WDH

The mistake that most people make is that they create food plots that are too small.  The biologists that I have talked too say a very good size is 5 acres.  Anything under 2 acres, they consider to be small.  They have also said that a good strategy is to maintain at least 5% of the area in dedicated wildlife openings/food plots. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

That's actually old school thinking on minimum food plot size. We have a food plot guru up here in Michigan that has gotten National Recognition by the name of Ed Spinazzola. He is one that has changed his tune on that as well.  Quality Deer Management recognizes food plots as small as 1/8 of an acre as a valid tool.   Smaller foot plots connected by trails, (which can also become food plots) are excellent ways to keep bucks on your property for longer periods. They can't just stand at the end of the 5 acre plot to survey all their does that way. 

BCinVT

Thanks for the info about the thread Jeff.I will be asking many questions about colder climate food plots on here.
Also good to know that smaller plots can be just as important as larger ones.I have already picked out a few spots for some small one 1/8-1/4 acre,maybe even a little smaller.Also have about an 1 1/2 acre spot up behind the house for a larger one.Will be interested to hear what grows best,and draws deer to these.I already have a few deer on the property,but would like to keep these and draw in a few more.Any info on what grows best up north will be appreciated.Thanks
I don't think I know it all. I know enough to ask now.To bad it took so long to figure that out:)

Jeff

I think asking what grows up north is way to generalized.  You are going to need to know what grows best in your area with your soil types. That may be far different then what grows at the same latitude in a different area.

Magicman

This map shows land that I own, red, and lease, yellow.  95% of the open land is now planted with SYP and oak.

Our main food plot is the brown spot in the center of the property.  I plant wheat and oats here.  This plot has about 5 acres of open pasture North of it.  I do not allow any hunting on the land South and East of that plot.  That is 150+ acres for undisturbed bedding.

Another plot is in the top left corner inside the red.  Wheat and oats are also planted there.  This year we added another one 200 yards West of the cabin.

All plots in the timber are planted with rye grass, because of the shade.  We have found that wheat and oats don't work in shaded plots, but rye grass does.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

brdmkr

A food plot of any size can be warranted.  Much depends on your management objective.  If you want to use the plot to facilitate harvest, then small plots may do the job.  If you want to enhance overall habitat, then I think the larger plots often get the nod as they help keep some area in a permanent opening and create more edge.  Much also depends on the conditions of the surrounding area.  The targeted species will also play a role in food plot size. 
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

beenthere

BC
How do you plan to work up the ground for the food plots, and what will you use to do the planting?

Interested in doing similar here in WI.

Glad you started the thread.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

BCinVT

beenthere,
I'm probably going to buy a 4x4 wire harrow.Was looking at the disc type,but I don't think I can get it up to a couple of my spots.Going to get a hand spreader for the lime and seed.Did a small plot at my camp in Maine with a old mattress spring a couple of years ago,and it seemed to work the ground up enough where the seed took pretty well.The plots I'll be putting in here are at my home,so I'll be able to do more upkeep on them as well.Still new at this,so looking for any and all info.Good luck

Qweaver

Our deer lease in W.Va. is 1200 acres and this is the first year that we have constructed food plots.  I'm not sure of the exact number of acres that we planted because most of the property is very steep woods and we simply tilled up and planted in almost every spot that was flat and clear enough to plant.  We ran the bush hog first and then a 5' rototiller.  We had 2 guys planting and rolling over the plots with a four wheeler  and we ended up with very thick growth.  We were able to plant the entire lease in one long day.
The effect on the deer was amazing.  We saw and killed more deer this year than ever before.  The deer were constantly seen on the plots.  I know that there are many things that can affect the deer herd but I feel pretty certain that our new plots were the major factor.  My broken hip kept me from hunting but the other guys sure had fun.  >:(
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

beenthere

Quinton
What did you plant on these food plots?

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chevytaHOE5674

My dad tills up just about any opening in the woods that his tractor and 7' tiller will fit in. Then seeds them with a broadcast spreader and ATV and drags with bed springs. The plots come up well and the deer really love them after the crops are harvested out of the fields in the fall.

He plants clover, rye, alfalfa, some deer mixes depending on the soils. He has also been planting buckwheat and tilling it in to build up sandier soils.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin

Wudman

Be sure to get a soil test before you do anything to identify nutrient needs.  The soil test will identify the amount of lime, fertilizer, and micronutrients that you may need to add.  It is cheap insurance.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

chain

We usually have designated log yards of about 1-1-1/2 acre. Our logger is to cut flat any stumps and push aside debris , push out a water hole, level and fill in deep holes. This operation can save lots of cash. Next, liming, lite disking then, firming soil , plant rye, wheat, sew in red clover in stubble following early spring.

The other option, we may have a 1 acre clearcut in middle of large timber, usually on a higher point or ridge, logger also pushes debris to sides for small game cover. Push out water hole. Interseed wheat, rye on 1/2 of area. The other half is allowed to grow up for a couple of years in natural cover, i.e. forbes, briars, sprouts, then bush-hog down to about 12". Some natural wild grass and legumes will begin to take over. Good for turkey, grouse, quail, deer.

Hans 1

Timber work and TSI are a hobby to me food plots are the bulk of the work that we do. We are located in southern iowa so i don't know if what works here would work there but for us turnips-brassicas are the way to go for small plots in a cold climate i know i few websites that have good foodplot discussions but  think it would be cool here.

CLL

I live in center of Missouri, we plant mostly turnips, chickory, and clover. This year we planted some sugar beets and the deer ate them before they could get very big. Most of our plots are from 1/2 to 2 acres.
Too much work-not enough pay.

DonT

We have 300 hundres acres,it is a natural funnel,we have found creating sanctuaries that the deer know they will not be bothered in has paid huge dividends.we also try and create as much edge habitiat as possible connecting small bushes with connecting corridors.Wild raisan and high bush cranberry have done well.alot of our openings are grown in with juniper,after they are removed(brush brute)we disc and plant buckwheat,after the buckwheat comes up and is about 6 inches high we disc it back in,do a soil sample and usually apply lime and then plant.it has been my experience that if you have a limited budget,spend more on lime and less on fertilizer,but every property is different.great thread look forward to getting some great tips here for use.

chain

Quote from: DonT on February 26, 2010, 02:00:11 AM
We have 300 hundres acres,it is a natural funnel,we have found creating sanctuaries that the deer know they will not be bothered in has paid huge dividends.we also try and create as much edge habitiat as possible connecting small bushes with connecting corridors.Wild raisan and high bush cranberry have done well.alot of our openings are grown in with juniper,after they are removed(brush brute)we disc and plant buckwheat,after the buckwheat comes up and is about 6 inches high we disc it back in,do a soil sample and usually apply lime and then plant.it has been my experience that if you have a limited budget,spend more on lime and less on fertilizer,but every property is different.great thread look forward to getting some great tips here for use.

Don, You've really touched on something in your edge habitat, nauturally an area critters love to browse and hang-out. We call it edge feathering, cutting back or culling out larger trees along the edge, then managing for your understory shrubs, legumes, grasses and whatnots. I was amazed at the variety of birds that began nesting, a very good system for pulling in all wildlife!

BCinVT

Getting some great info here guys.About the soil test.Can you get a kit and do your own,or do you have to bring it somewhere?As far as edge habitat,some of my land,about 40 acres was clearcut back in 80',so it's just now started to get back up to larger trees.As far as the other about 18 acres,it was to rugged to cut,so part of it has softwood(hemlock,cedar,and spruce),and the rest is alot of Beech.They just cut about 200 acres 5 years ago right next to me,and as you know that's growing up nicely now.So I think I have enough cover for the deer.
Been hearing alot about the clover blends out there,and also the brassicas,turnips,and winter wheat for late season.What about planting perrenials vs. annuals?Do you mix them together,or use them together?Don't know if I'd be better off with a bunch of smaller plots,less than an 1/8 acre,or try to clear some area,and have maybe a 1/4 acre plot.Like I said in an earlier post,my big plot will be about an 1 1/2,because that's all the space I have in that area.Thinking of maybe doing a clover blend there,and maybe some annual blends in a couple of the smaller plots.

SwampDonkey

The farmers around here plant all kinds of food plots, but not their intended purpose. :D Moose love soybeans, bears love oats and corn, deer love oats, crows like taters.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chevytaHOE5674

Our local state extension office will perform soil tests for you. Shovel some soil in a bag and drop it off. They will provide you with a little report of what is good and what is lacking.

SwampDonkey

Not to distract from the thread and the purpose behind the wildlife food plotting ideas. It's a shame it's not practiced much in these parts. Food plots are mostly a novel idea up here, mostly consists of baiting more than an actual crop. There are no hunting leases either per se for native game, but there are pheasant preserves for hunting. Up here a landowner does not own the wildlife and has no right to it. If you post no hunting, you can't hunt there either as the land owner. About the only plot I'll come across in the woods are those that get harvested in late summer, dried and distributed in little bags for cash, and that sadly enough, will never change.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!