iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busysawyer

Mm, I have been selling quite a few slabs green and sending people to a large kiln operator that was willing to help me out by giving my customers a place to get slabs dried. If the slabs dont sell green I will dry them. Vaccutherm is anticipating November 15 for our kiln to be ready. 
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crossroads

It's nice to see your plan coming together busysawyer 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Bricklayer51

busysawyer you are gonna be busy nov 15 ani't ya

PA_Walnut

Rain FINALLY relented long enough to saw a highly figured hickory. Carbide blade tamed that beast!

Then the gauntlet fell.  :-\

Made lemonade anyway...was able to cut off the bad end and still have 5-6' lovely figured wide hickory 5/4
  8)
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Jim_Rogers

I cut some wedges the other day:

And this is how the paving company uses them:

Red Oak 10" tall x 12" wide x 3' long, weighing 86 lbs each.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

YellowHammer

Busysawyer,
Nice maple slabs, but on slab #4, how can the widest section be 18" and the narrowest section be 19"? ;D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

caveman

Caveman

Busysawyer

Yh, those are rough measurements.  The slab curves but the width actually stays fairly consistent.  I just measure in two places, what appears to be the widest and what looks like the narrow point.

YellowHammer

I mean what's written on the whiteboard  probably should say "narrowest 18" and widest 19"?
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Busysawyer

Yh, I didn't even notice that. My slightly dyslexic brain switched them around and when I looked at it my brain corrected itself and I didnt even notice. 
Sawing some black oak for a customer today. One really nice log and one crooked one.

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Darrel

On October 1st I'm scheduled to slice these. 

And these. 

I just received a call from the customer asking how much clearance I need under the log deck. He is separating out anything <8" large end and is moving the whole deck in the process. The small logs will get one cut each to flatten 1 side so he can use them for rafters. Anyway, I had mentioned that if the logs are up off the ground that they roll easier so he called to ask how high. I told him just enough so the logs roll easy. 
1992 LT40HD

Magicman

You will be busy.  :)

I generally tell customers to whack a few Sweetgums down and use them for "runners". ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OffGrid973

Some more 1x's for a cedar closet for my tree guy...not sure if there is a way to save the wavy right before a blade change, but I am not running through the planer 5 times each side...gunna be glad once the cedar orders are complete.

3 logs left in this order then off to the storage yard to get another trailer load...80+ today, still feels like summer in Jersey.

Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Magicman

ERC dulls blades much faster than can be imagined.  Looks like that blade was dull way before that last cut.  :-\

Darrel

MM, no sweet gum in these parts, he's just going to lay down a couple of ponderosas tops. 
1992 LT40HD

Southside

Quote from: cwimer973 on September 16, 2018, 06:48:17 PMnot sure if there is a way to save the wavy right before a blade change

Change the band sooner.  It is far better to remove a still sharp band than one which is being pushed to the point of being that dull.  You will get overall longer band life, better lumber, and lower operating costs as a result.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Southside

Quote from: Darrel on September 16, 2018, 05:49:14 PMOn October 1st I'm scheduled to slice these. 

Did you get a new fangled "climbing mill" or does your customer have some work to hurry up and do? :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Darrel

He's got some work to do. That's why I don't cut 'till the 1st. 
1992 LT40HD

Brad_bb

Had to switch and put a white oak log on the mill today.  31" at big end and 25" on small end.  I had to trim the flare on big end but still got stuck last few inches and had to go back and trim some more.  Going to make 24 short 4x6x5' rafters from the heartwood.  I want to quarter/rift saw them too.  Only 2 small knots on the small end, but there's a quite a bit of twist in this log.  Been in my barn for 4 years. 3 inches in on both sides and very dry-which will help them not twist much.  I only have 3 white oak logs like this, and 3 burr oak logs, but they're pretty good quality.  

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

petefrom bearswamp

Well I have done it again.
No sawing for me for a while
Wrecked my boat on a big rock Friday. 
Inattention on my part.
Lower unit leaking and hull badly dented at the mid starboard chine.
Cant find my insurance policy and may have forgotten to renew it.
Badly bruised on the sides and rear of both thighs.
unwanted  vacation for  me.
Old Hee Haw song lyric , If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

:o  Just thankfully Pete you are OK albeit bruised and got boat to fix.  You may hurt but try to get as much exercise and walking that you can to prevent a possible blood clot.  Stay in touch.

SawyerTed

Pete, glad you weren't hurt worse!  Hope the boat repairs are quick and easy and your recovery is quick and complete!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

DPatton

Pete, I hope your ok. You forgot to tell us the important part about Friday though. Did you catch any fish? :D :D :D
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Thank You Sponsors!