iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blew up my Kohler

Started by Larry, June 21, 2018, 09:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

First thing in the morning. I was adjusting the water drip and heard a loud bang than watched a waterfall of oil coming out of the motor. Immediately shut down the motor and noticed a hole in the block about the size of a silver dollar. Motor was a Command Pro 34 HP with low hours, good maintenance, and a easy life. I just replaced the tach and engine speed was right on. Guess its just one of those things. The Kohler had performed excellent up to this point. Most of the logs I saw are medium to small size.

Last two days I've been considering options for a motor replacement. Diesel is out because of the motor size and extra weight. Electric is also out because I don't have enough juice.

Cheap way out is a new Kohler short block. The easy way out is a new Kohler which is a simple bolt in job. I've been researching other motors and the Briggs Vanguard Big Blocks seem to be extremely popular with no issues. This is on lawn mowers, stump grinders, chippers, and the like. Years ago I had a 16 HP Vanguard on my first sawmill and really liked it.

At the moment the 35 HP Vanguard is in the lead for a replacement. Its a little cheaper than the Kohler, but I will have to make a mounting adapter and a couple of other small mods. I've been searching for the 37 HP Vanguard with EFI but they are as scarce as hens teeth with the right size shaft.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Lawg Dawg

That's a BUMMER, good luck Larry
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

DPatton

That is a real downer, sorry to hear. How many hours were on that motor if I may ask?
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Brian_Rhoad

sawmilllawyer

Larry too bad about the Kolher! Try TEW or Tulsa Engine Warehouse. Hopefully they can help and are competitive on pricing.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

mike_belben

Did it break the rod or the crank?
Praise The Lord

Southside

I got my Kohler from Tulsa for my edger this spring - best price I could find and very fast shipping.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Crossroads

Oh that stinks! Hope you can get back up and running soon. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

ladylake

How many hours on it, seems like Kohler quality is going down hill.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Al_Smith

That ole boy at small engine warehouse has more engines than you can shake a stick at .Roy Pagent .It's like 5 acres with stuff wall to wall .
I'm not certain if he's still active or if his son took over the business .They are about 60-70 miles from me in the middle of nowhere in a corn field in Indiana .
Years ago I took a drive one Saturday and bought a pressure washer from them .It's been a good one except about every other year I have to remove the check valves and clean them out .Hard water does that .

xlogger

My kohler went around 1600 hours
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Peter Drouin

I wish you the best of luck with the replacement job.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bruno of NH

I hear  the Briggs are made in Japan
Under better quality control. 

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

kelLOGg

I want to upgrade my Kohler before that happens but haven't done it yet. I am looking at a Honda GX series; has the same bolt pattern as far as I can tell as the Kohler. Good luck with your decision.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Larry

To answer a couple of questions, my motor had 500 hours, and eight years old.  I believe it was a rod that broke.

I've checked most of the online sellers.  This is the engine that I'm thinking about buying.

Vanguard 35HP
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

millwright

I have rebuilt a couple of the bigger ones, and to do a proper complete rebuild it's not much less money to replace the motor. Around here a Honda is a cheaper replacement. 

DPatton

Quote from: Larry on June 22, 2018, 08:19:34 AM
 my motor had 500 hours, and eight years old.  I believe it was a rod that broke.

DanG that's not many hours Larry. I sure hope the 27 hp Kohler Command on my mill lasts a lot longer than that. I also have a 22 hp Kohler in my lawn mower. Larry did that engine give you any sign of trouble prior to its failure?

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

D & S Sawmill Services

DPatton

my motor had 500 hours, and eight years old.  I believe it was a rod that broke.

>:(DanG that's not many hours Larry. I sure hope the 27 hp Kohler Command on my mill lasts a lot longer than that. I also have a 22 hp Kohler in my lawn mower. Larry, did that engine give you any sign of trouble prior to its failure?

D & S Sawmill Services

Larry

Quote from: DPatton on June 22, 2018, 09:25:56 AM
>:(DanG that's not many hours Larry. I sure hope the 27 hp Kohler Command on my mill lasts a lot longer than that. I also have a 22 hp Kohler in my lawn mower. Larry, did that engine give you any sign of trouble prior to its failure?

No problems at all until she blew.  It started easy even when cold.  Good power and smooth running.  I think the failure was one of those one in a million things.

I'm not sure if switching to a Vanguard is wise or not at this point.

Larry

Ga Mtn Man

Sorry to hear that Larry.  All these reports of Kohler issues sure are making me nervous.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Will_Johnson

Don't do anything hasty Larry -- I am forwarding this string to our contacts at Kohler to see if they might step up despite the engine being well out of warranty. Many manufacturers have used many thousands of Kohlers over the years with very few problems. But as you say there's always that one.

Tin Horse

My wood processor came with a 36HP Subaru gas on it. They are very compact and have a better cooling system. Oil cooler. Don't know how they price out by comparison. It's worked great in hot and cold weather. Still have low hours yet though.
I've also heard some guys use them in ultra lite planes because of reliability. Good luck.
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

ladylake

Way too many manufactures are cheapening up their products to make money NOW, shame on them.  It took their company many years to build up a good name and the  so called management a few short years to ruin it by their  greed.   Steve  
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have walked in your shoes with them Kohlers Larry.  :)

I heard a rumor that kohler has changed the TPS from what I had. Not sure is it has solved their problem.....they keep things quite.
I don't think they ever told Woodmizer why my Kohler kept giving me problems.
I know they never told me.
I pumped 100's of dollars into my Kohler engine and I thought they would at least have given me a call with an explanation......but I think they kinda swept it under the rug.
I'll NEVER own another Kohler! They just don't have anybody that can work on them.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!