iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

blew up my saw

Started by barbender, March 28, 2004, 10:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

Hello all- I'm new to this forum- already seen a lot of good info here.  I'm bummed out as yesterday I was running my 2 1/2 year old Jonsered 2165 and the main bearing came apart and parts got sucked through the piston and cylinder. Scored it real bad, will need a new top end.  I have to take the saw to the dealer tomorrow to get the cases pulled apart and see if the crank is alright.  The dealer told me the parts would be around $250 -if I don't need a crank.  If the crank is toast I may as well buy a new saw.  All said, I am not too impressed.  This saw has only cut about 80 cords of pulpwood plus a small amount of firewood.  The dealer suggested that this bearing problem is not uncommon in this model.  I was just wondering if anyone on this forum has had similar experiences with jonsereds or huskys? I know these two brands are supposedly the the same saws, but do the husqvarnas maybe have better quality components? I just bought a husky 346xp a couple of months ago, now I'm afraid its gonna fly apart on me too.  What, should a guy tear his saws apart every year and put new main bearings in them?  Sorry my first post here is a rant hopefully jonsered will make things right here like some free parts and an apology or I'm throwing this thing in the garbage and looking at a stihl or something.  By the way , I loved this saw til it blew up real strong low end pulled a 24" bar just fine.
Too many irons in the fire

Duane_Moore

:'(barbender, feel bad about your saw coming apart. and welcome to the forum. Don't know your answers. but a saw only 2 1/2 yrs old and goes to he77. well thats not good.should not be, some of my saws are 20 yrs and been used very much and no bearing trouble. would look at fuel mixture first. then see what Kevin says, he's the man. Welcome.   Duh---Duane
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

oldsaw-addict

I agree with Duane here. Kevin is the guy to ask about this, sorry about the saw going to the bad place.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Oregon_Rob

Welcome and sorry to hear about your saw, I know how I would feel.
The 2165/365 seems strange that the husky number 365 doesn't have an xp after it, like the other pro Husky saws. Makes me wonder if they build them differently.
According to all the feedback/hype i read and hear about the 346xp, it should be a very good preformer.
If you do end up looking at new saws, i strongly recomend the 372xp. But you probably already figuared that out if you have been lurking.
Good luck,

Rob
Chainsaw Nerd

Kevin

Welcome to the forum barbender.
That has to hurt losing a saw that new.
What fuel mix were you using?
Do you keep the saw and fuel clean?
I can't say what reputation that saw has but Jonsered has a pretty good reputation overall.
I'm sure someone here has experience working on them and will shed some light.  

QuoteThe dealer suggested that this bearing problem is not uncommon in this model.
This statement is a little disturbing, if there's a history of this then you should perhaps phone or write the district rep and see what they have to say.

tony_marks

thats what i was thinking kevin. i can highly recommend mobile x 2 synthetic.. with the changes in gas these days. it aint quite
 like it use to be.. when u could run good stihl or husky mix an not worry..fella got to adjust with changes where ever they come from. .
 having said that i  should also say ive never had a failure that i attributed to the stihl mix. but i think this product does run,, real  cool an
 i just like the subtle differences in the way the saw runs.. this aint meant  to be an advertisement for it. its soimethin ben walker put me onto ,,an i like it. so im passing it on.i may not have the name exactly rite. but u can sometimes find it next to the auto oils in auto zone. for some reason they dont put it with their cheap 2 cycle mixes.. i think it costum sales too.

barbender

Thanks for all the replies- I have always run the jonsered oil at 50:1 mixture as recommended with 91 octane alchohol free gas (pretty much all of our premium here in minnesota is alchohol free- labeled that way on the pump-for use in small engines and collector vehicles. I suppose with the multitude of snowmobiles and outboard two strokes up here the petro companies have to cater to us a little. Just curious what it is like getting ethanol free in the rest of the country, is it hard to find or available at every gas station like here?  Anyhow, I'm heading to the dealer right now to get the cases split and I'll see what they say about getting some help with the parts, if they won't help me out I'll get ahold of the disrict rep or distributor and raise cain with them. If I had the dealer do all the work on this saw out of my pocket it would cost at least $300 on a saw that cost me $500 new. So to my line of thinking I may as well buy a new one- and I gaurantee it wouldn't be red. Disposable chainsaws? I'll reply as quick as possible about what the dealer / Jonsered/ Tilton equipment does to remedy this situation- don't want to be slammin' them on the web if they will go out of their way to make things right.  They could really impress me or disappoint me here. By the way I love that little 346xp , tons of power for a small saw and it screams.  I'm building a log house pretty soon, thats how I justify these new saws to my wife, plus a little wood I sell off our ten acres to pay for all this stuff. I'll keep you all posted on how this turns out.

Kevin

You might consider going 40:1 .
Synthetic oil is better stuff.
Try and find out what caused the bearing failure.

barbender

kevin- I was considering switching to a synthetic, any experiences with amsoil sabre 100:1 oil? I was going to use that and still mix it 50:1- I'm just leary of going 80 or 100:1 although I know guys that race snowmobiles that run at that ratio without problems so it would probably be fine. Just makes me nervous that's all. Anyhow, I haven't seen any of the mobil synthetic around here would consider that also if folks have had good luck with it.  I just got back from the dealer, they figured the saw would probably need a crank too.  They were going to have a manager talk to the distributor and see what help I could get but left the impression that I was out of luck- seems that jonsered/tilton is not too easy too deal with.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Hunter

I use the Amsoil 50:1 full synthetic race oil in my modified saws and have had great success.
hunter
Jmccomas@insight.rr.com
614-554-2169
Dolmar / Efco / Redmax / Silvey Grinders Sales

oldsaw-addict

I have never seen a saw thats 2 1/2 years old just fail like that but  it sure a great way to get the stream of profanity flowing from my mouth. I always mixed my gas at 50:1 40:1 or more recently to prevent failures in my 330 32:1 mix. I picked up some Mobil MX2T synthetic a week or so ago, I'll mix it with the next batch of fresh fuel I get. Its supposed to be good oil because it reduces spark plug fouling, improves performance, and I think it would increase the life of a saw. Good luck with Tilton, just dont get me on the line with them raising cain or anything like that cause I'm a mean guy when I'm mad.

barbender

I was looking for amsoil last time I bought oil but they didn't have any two cycle oil at that shop.  So I bought some more jonsered oil and mixed up 2 1/2 gallons.  I used most of that before my saw gave up the ghost, so it wasn't like I forgot to mix in the oil or something like that.  I'm glad they didn't have any amsoil as I would have blew up my saw on the first batch I mixed up with that oil.  Then I would have been thinking the oil caused it.  anyways, I just talked to the manager at the dealership, he said he would get ahold of Tilton's district rep and try to get me some help. He wasn't real hopeful, but said he would try to make it right personally if Tilton wouldn't stand behind their product. So, he understood my frustration and wanted to help- that's encouraging, anyways

Corley5

There's a 265 Husky at work that failed in pretty much the same fashion.  Only a couple years old and never used for any real work.  One day it just blew up.  The Husky dealer said that they were known for that ??? ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Stephen_Wiley

barbender,

Just gonna add: even though the pumps claim to be Alcohol-free they may not be.

Do you check the gas for alcohol?

" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

barbender

Stephen- no I never have checked the gas I use for alchohol (don't know how) so I guess I've been just trusting the Cenex to be selling what is advertised.  Be something to check into though. Hunter, is that the 100:1 amsoil that you are running, just mixing it at 50:1, or does amsoil make a 50:1 pre-mix as well? I also see you are a jonsered dealer- have you seen any of these bearing failures?

Mark M

HI Barbender,

I have 2 Jonsereds saw, a 621 circa 1972 and a 1985 630. Both run like tops and each have cut over a 100 cords of firewood with no problems. I always mixed 40:1 however I recently switched to 45:1 which amounts to one of those little Stihl or Husky "1 gallon" bottles (2.7 oz I think) dumped into 0.9 gallons of gas. I use this instead of the 50:1 my other saws recommend, and the 40:1 for my weedeaters. Seems to be a good compromise for everything. 40:1 would work well too.

I can only think of a few things that would cause a main bearing to fail on a chain saw (but I don't know nothing about chainsaws!). Lack of lube from either mixing it too lean or adjusting the carb too lean, overspeed from mixing it too lean, misalignment of the bearing, or contamination. These are all pretty easy to identify if the person doing the failure analysis knows what to look for. If you dealer can't tell you the exact cause let me know and maybe I can get one of our failure analysis people to take a look at it.

Mark

Dennis

I will throw some input in here.  The very same bearings are used on all of the Huskies and Jonsereds from about the 2041 jonsered, and the old 257 Husky( I think off the top of my head) right up to the bigger saws. (372/2171)..The Part number 738-22-02-25 is one of the most widely used bearings in the swedish line up, and never fails without reason.  The two main reasons are lean seizure by bad mix, or lean siezure due to an air leak.

I am sure your dealer will figure out why it happened before replacing the parts.
Just Log It.

9shooter

I'm a little curious about the longevity of current husky's. Back when I worked in the woods(mid 80's) my in-laws switched their logging crews from stihl to all husqvarna. The reason was that they simply cut 8-10 more trees per saw per day. This transilated to more $ and bang for the buck so to speak. Even though it was common to expect only 1-2 years from a husky, it was considered an excellent bargain considering the higher productivity. I ran a 384xp husky, bucking and felling, what a beast! Currently I use a 029 stihl for the occaisional sawing. Much lighter than the 384, the back sure is happier. With all the pollution control crap on saws these days I'm not sure if there is an appreciable difference between stihl or husky. Barbender- you might want to consider getting the next saw customized. I understand that they not only run faster (more power!) but also run cooler. If you go with a husky I would only consider an xp model. I wonder if you can use motorcoat or some friction reducer as a cheap insurance policy? Just a thought.
Earth First! We'll log the other planet's later!

barbender

well I just talked to the dealer, he talked to Tilton and they are going to supply the crank, the dealer said he would cover $50 of the labor.  So that leaves me piston, rings, cylinder, bearings, and seals( probably $200-250).  I can live with that, they were willing to work with me on a saw that is out of warranty instead of just telling me tough luck or something, so you can count me satisfied.

oldsaw-addict

thats what I would call good customer service. the thing about getting good service is that you cant find the good dealers and companies as easily as you once could. I'll stick to my Jonsered and Stihl brand equipment because of quality and the service each one provides whe nyou need it. Good to hear that you're happy with the repair price.

jokers

Quote.....The very same bearings are used on all of the Huskies and Jonsereds from about the 2041 jonsered, and the old 257 Husky( I think off the top of my head) right up to the bigger saws. (372/2171)..The Part number 738-22-02-25 is one of the most widely used bearings in the swedish line up, and never fails without reason.  The two main reasons are lean seizure by bad mix, or lean siezure due to an air leak....

I agree with Dennis on this, he`s seen alot of that particular bearing.

BTW, a richer mix ratio of a quality oil is also beneficial.

Russ

barbender

Russ-  Hopefully I don't have an air leak ,I'll put new crank seals in the saw while I have it apart. As far as lean seizure, the piston/cylinder looked real good, no scuffing or other signs of lean oil mixture. To my mind, lean oil mix or air/fuel problems would surface there first, at least if it was lean enough to seize a bearing there should be some signs of that in the piston/cylinder, and they look pretty much like new.  Also, I don't know if the bearing seized or not- the cage just came apart, all the rollers are still in the crank/rod where they are supposed to be. They just don't have a roller cage on them- that's what went through the cylinder and caused all the damage.  Burt

jokers

Hi Burt,

Maybe the "never" in Dennis' post that I agreed with was an exaggeration. Maybe rarely would have been the right way to phrase it. I`m sure that there are a certain number of failures due to a minute manufacturing defect that get`s worse through use.

I`m happy to see that Tilton is working with you. Good luck with the saw in the future.

Russ

Dennis

I also was thinking that 'never' was possibly too much..as with anything, there is always a chance of manufacturers defect....if it is an airleak that caused it, when they replace the crank they will put in new seals regardless and that should alleviate that issue.

I have never dealt with Tilton directly, but spent some time with their sales reps in Sweden a few years ago, and all seemed like great people.  Glad to hear they are working with ya as well!
Just Log It.

Dick_Tracy

I use the Husqvarna black bottled oil mixed 32/1 aint nver had any problems yet and I cut about 70K aday. 372 hopped up use em for 2 years and get a new one. Send your saw to walkers saw shop they do a good saw for production work.

I'ma cutting big stuff I have a 385 and a 066 from them also. I will be looking to replace the 066 and the 372. You might have a air leek also.

I tried that synthetic stuff and noticed I got a stuck piston ring plus the carbon build up was maore than my regular oil was giving me.

Thank You Sponsors!