iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new truck

Started by james, September 28, 2016, 02:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

james

new to me that is  08 f450 crew cab , flat bed, 6.4 Power stroke , 6 speed manual ,4x4 4.88 gearing, still not bad fuel econ 14-16 mpg good farm/firewood truck don't need DOT number as under 16,001 GVWR
james

sawguy21

So where are the pictures? ;D Definitely not geared for speed but should be good for your stated needs.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

snowstorm

nice truck. i have a f550. good luck with the 6.4. thats the only diesel in a ford i havnt owned

Tom the Sawyer

James,

DOT requirements kick in for vehicles over 10,000 lbs., not 16,000.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

red

DOT numbers for interstate . If the truck stays local he is fine.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Tom the Sawyer

Red,

That is true.  Since he mentioned DOT, I just didn't want him to think that being under 16m made him exempt.  Could be an expensive error.  His profile doesn't list his location but, with my state's financial disasters, they are cracking down in order to increase fines and fees. 

Even a 3/4 ton pickup, pulling a small trailer, will put you over 10,000 lbs. (GVWR of tow vehicle + actual gross weight of loaded trailer).  I had to go through it a couple of years ago, and every year since.  They interpret "transporting persons or property for compensation" to include your personal property - 'tools of the trade' (including your mill).
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.

Brian_Rhoad

In PA CDL doesn't start until 26,001 GVW OR CGVW.

Tom the Sawyer

CDL is required for 26,000 pounds and certain other circumstances.  You can fall under USDOT requirements without needing a CDL (although requirements such as driver logs and medical cards are required).  Hundreds of pages of regulations; it takes some work to make sure you, your vehicle, your load, your insurance, and your paperwork are in compliance at all times.  If not, and you get checked, they'll find it... ka-ching.

jcbrotz

Quote from: Brian_Rhoad on September 29, 2016, 03:11:18 PM
In PA CDL doesn't start until 26,001 GVW OR CGVW.

Unless you are pulling a trailer that is rated 10,001lbs or up then that is cdl range also.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

sandsawmill14

unless they have changed the law here you dont have to have cdl or dot #s as long as you are ag exempt unless your truck has air brakes  :) but i must admit that was how it was 15 yrs ago :o i havent changed anything so just assumed they hadnt either :D my truck is tagged at 56000 and the only time i was ever stopped by a state trooper was for expired tags  ::) i had the new plate stuck in the windshield so i showed it to him and he said put it on when you get home :D he never ask for or looked at anything else other than a copy of my insurance :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Roxie

Cowboy Bob gets tears in his eyes when an officer throws the lights on him, whether state, local or DOT.  Here in PA, they make up their own rules which change almost by municipality.  So he has a CDL, DOT number, gets his physical each year, keeps a log book...and some of these guys get ticked off, because they say we don't need it.  Thus far they haven't devised a ticket or fine for over registering, but we fear that will be next. 
Say when

Brian_Rhoad

This is from the PA DOT CDL information page.

WHO MUST HAVE A COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S LICENSE (CDL)?
Anyone who drives a commercial motor vehicle. The definition of a commercial motor vehicle is:
a) a combination of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 or more pounds, provided the vehicle being towed is in
excess of 10,000 pounds;
b) a single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 or more pounds;
c) a vehicle designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver;
d) a school bus; or
e) any vehicle that is transporting hazardous materials and is required to be placarded in accordance with State and Federal
regulations.

Glenn1

Quote from: Brian_Rhoad on September 30, 2016, 01:09:32 PM
This is from the PA DOT CDL information page.

WHO MUST HAVE A COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S LICENSE (CDL)?
Anyone who drives a commercial motor vehicle. The definition of a commercial motor vehicle is:
a) a combination of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 or more pounds, provided the vehicle being towed is in
excess of 10,000 pounds;
b) a single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 or more pounds;
c) a vehicle designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver;
d) a school bus; or
e) any vehicle that is transporting hazardous materials and is required to be placarded in accordance with State and Federal
regulations.

I believe tht North Carolina follows the same rules as mentioned above.  At least, that is what I'm believing. 
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Bert

Quote from: Roxie on September 30, 2016, 09:41:37 AM
Cowboy Bob gets tears in his eyes when an officer throws the lights on him, whether state, local or DOT.  Here in PA, they make up their own rules which change almost by municipality.  So he has a CDL, DOT number, gets his physical each year, keeps a log book...and some of these guys get ticked off, because they say we don't need it.  Thus far they haven't devised a ticket or fine for over registering, but we fear that will be next. 

Im in the same boat. No right or wrong answer. Depends on who you ask. I have CDL, registered truck at 25900 with air brakes, and DOT #. Dont know what i really need and cant get an answer.  I just keep rolling, try to stay under weight and usually have a spotter looking for DOT to avoid the nonsense. Just trying to deliver some lumber and hurting noone. Most recently the quack dr decided i had high BP and gave me an annual medical card. So now its $100 a year vs every two. I dont take health lightly and regularly have my BP checked to ensure its good. No issues aside from this "one time check".   :-\ That said, Congrats on the new ride!
Saw you tomorrow!

ladylake

In Mn after they find around $600 or so in fines they quit looking.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

jcbrotz

Quote from: ladylake on September 30, 2016, 05:14:07 PM
In Mn after they find around $600 or so in fines they quit looking.  Steve

In PA the fine starts at $600 LOL But at least our roads are good.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

David Freed

Quote from: james on September 28, 2016, 02:06:38 PM
new to me that is  08 f450 crew cab , flat bed, 6.4 Power stroke , 6 speed manual ,4x4 4.88 gearing, still not bad fuel econ 14-16 mpg good farm/firewood truck don't need DOT number as under 16,001 GVWR
james
Sounds like a good work truck. smiley_thumbsup

Thank You Sponsors!