iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

If I lived in South Louisiana

Started by Magicman, May 08, 2018, 08:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I would have to have one of these.   GO-DEVIL Manufacturers of Louisiana - Engines and Boats

Twin cylinder OHC air cooled engine.

Manufactured especially for traveling in the shallow swampland.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawguy21

I have seen a lot of outboards but nothing quite like that!
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WDH

If You lived in South Louisiana

You would talk funny.
You would be eating frog legs and alligator tail constantly.
Your feet would stay wet.
The mosquitoes would be bigger than you are.
You would live in a Parish.
You would not have to worry about floating your boat.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I am thinking Gumbo, Étouffée, and Jambalaya.   food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

51cub

I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

Ianab

We use Hamilton Jets for shallow water, but they don't like weeds (clogs the intake grill) 

This is the local guys on their track. 

NZ Jetsprints 24/02/18 Waitara NZ. - YouTube
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

Louisiana is nothing but weeds ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LeeB

Nothing really to do with the topic, but a friend of mine posted this to fb today. The people of South Louisiana are a fine bunch of people, even if they do talk funny. 

According to the history books, a Cajun is a descendant of a hardy group of Nova Scotian exiles who settled over 200 years ago along the bayous and marshes of South Louisiana. The name Cajun (they tell us) is a contraction of "Acadienne .. Acadian." So much for the textbook!
Little Cajun children are made of gumbo, boudin and sauce piquante ... crawfish stew and oreilles de cochon. The Cajun child is given bayous to fish in, marshes to trap in, room to grow in, and Catholic churches to worship in. (In other parts of the world, little girls are made of sugar and spice and everything nice; while little boys are made of snips and snails and puppydog tails.)
A Cajun likes fiddles and accordions in his music, plenty of pepper in his courtboullon, shrimp in his nets, speed in his horses, neighborliness in his neighbors, and love in his home. He dislikes people who don't laugh enough, fish enough, or enjoy enough of all the good things God has given to the Cajun country. Also, he dislikes being hurried when he's resting and distracted when he's working; seeing people unhappy, and he'll do all he can or give all he has to bring a smile to a face stricken with sadness.
A Cajun likes to dance and laugh and sing when his week of hard work has ended. And just as Saturday night at the fais-do-do replenishes his store of energy, Sunday at church refreshes his spiritual and moral values and keeps strong his always sustaining faith.
A Cajun is a link with a proud past. His is a glorious heritage! He is a man of tolerance who will let the world go its way if the world will let him go his. He is a man of great friendliness who will give you the crawfish off his table, the sac-a-lait off his hook, or the shirt off his back.
A Cajun is a complex person, with as many ingredients in his makeup as the gumbo Mama makes for special company. He has tolerance for those who earn it, charity for those who need it, a smile for those who will return it, and love for all who will share it.
If a Cajun likes you, he'll give you this whole wide, wonderful world; and if he doesn't, he'll give you a wide berth. When you cross a Cajun, he gives you the back of his hand and the toe of his boot, for he can be stubborn as a mule and ornery as an alligator. If he sets his head on something, he'll fight a circlesaw before he'll yield to your opinions -- you'd as well argue with a fence post as to try to convince a Cajun.
And, as fun-loving as he is, a Cajun can work as hard and as long as any living man. He carved out "Acadiana" by hand, from the swamp and marshes and uncultivated prairies. But when the work is done and argument is ended, a Cajun can sweep you right into a wonderful world of joie de vivre with an accordion chorus of "Jole Blone" and a handful of happy little words ... five little words to be exact: "Lessez le bon ton roulle!" -- Translated: "Let the good times roll!"
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

It would be difficult to talk about South Louisiana and be "off topic" Lee.  I live close to and have a great admiration for the Cajun/Coonass culture.  Their music/songs seemingly have no end and can go on forever, or until they get tired or need another beer.
IMG 2096 - YouTube
(Go full screen for the best effect.)

DelawhereJoe

The guys around here use those and the long tail surface drive motors for duck hunting in the shallow tidal creeks.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Hilltop366

Them fellers are my distant cousins, apparently story goes during the 1755 expulsion (150 years after settlement) my 7th great grandfather Jacques Deveau and his family moved around Nova Scotia and hid here and there for a few years before being imprisoned for a while but was never expelled, eventually settling in South West Nova Scotia about 13 miles from where I live today.

Naturally there seems to be a some cultural similarities to local Acadian communities.

LaneC

yep, duck hunted using those, they are very tough and will get you into places you would not think possible.
Man makes plans and God smiles

samandothers

When down near Hammond, I believe it was, during Katrina I came across a facility that had boats with similar motors.  I believe it was called Gator Trax or something similar.  They had motors like that.  It was definitely different looking but I could see where it would help in such country/areas.

fishfighter

Quote from: Magicman on May 08, 2018, 08:58:45 PM
I am thinking Gumbo, Étouffée, and Jambalaya.   food6

Don't forget boil Crawfish, Shrimp and crabs. ;D

Lynn, the problem about those boat motors is that they are started banding them on my WMA's. They do a lot of damage to the marsh. My brother has one that he is fixing to sell due to the banding of them. :(

fishfighter

Quote from: Hilltop366 on May 09, 2018, 04:27:07 PM
Them fellers are my distant cousins, apparently story goes during the 1755 expulsion (150 years after settlement) my 7th great grandfather Jacques Deveau and his family moved around Nova Scotia and hid here and there for a few years before being imprisoned for a while but was never expelled, eventually settling in South West Nova Scotia about 13 miles from where I live today.

Naturally there seems to be a some cultural similarities to local Acadian communities.

Yep, my Mon's side of the family got kicked out from your neck of the woods back then. :D

Hilltop366

Hi fishfighter was the family name if you don't mind me asking?

E fan

I see them from mid November to February around here, seems every duck hunter has to have one ..... but that will soon come to an end if AGFC has their way 

Thank You Sponsors!